Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Xylitol better than sugar?

Default xylitoli in chewing gum

Interesting post, goes from xylitol, niacin to adernal. Bingo, three items i was just recently thinking about. I have been using nicorette gum for 4 years, tried the inhaler but seem to revert to gum. While i used to try to rationalise its use despite really knowing better and when the derm said that nicorette gum was fine , i would say well must not be a problem. However the reality for me is that often after chewing the gum an hour or two later my face will become redder and flush a bit. Not always which is another reason why i tried to convince myself that it was not a problem. The nicorette gum also contains xylitol. What happens after the chewing the gum is you get a rush you feel more alive and alert , hence its addiction. im not sure if im been scienctific here but the rush is definetely prob an adernal rush. And then often an hour or two later i get a bid red. Also if i up the intake i get that red flushing feeling a bit sooner.

Delving deeper, i read a report by a doctor i think sudan j reporting that nicorette replacement therapy caused a reaction like seb derm which i also have. In an effort to get off the gum and due to general relapse i sometimes smoke also. And after a few cigs face can also go red a bit. So this led me to think ok nicorette is a prob. Then last week i decided unsuccefully to give up nicorette and smoking . i went cold turkey for four days, During this period i used gum with xylitol in it, now face did not go as red but still went a bit red. So i did more research into xylitol, apparentaley over consumption can cause certain gastric problems like ibs. I also have ibs which im been treated for and i know that the nicorette gum and smoking made it worse. Also the xytitol in chewing gum gave me a slight adernal rush, not to same extent as the nicorette gum.

Therefore i think my next course of action should be to get off the chewing gum, xylitol and cigarettes. Wont cure me of course as i still will go red and flush without it, but will defo calm me down and should help ibs which i know will help with redness and flushing. However easier said than done of course, as im sitting here chewing guess what?

M

PS. Often wondered did all my probs start with the nicorette gumif you read reports of it on ask a patient you would convince yourself. If only it was that simple. Also wondering if having used protopic for years did it cause demodex mites, some reports of this . Therefore have started trying ivermectin. Got seb derm flare from ipl and laser somewhat under control from itraconazole.

As for the xylitol: it is not an artificial sweetener as Brady earlier pointed. It is produced from the birch tree. It is as natural or "artificial" as stevia.