Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Xylitol better than sugar?

Default Xylitol better than sugar?

As we know, sugar in any form is bad for rosacea. But does this include Xylitol? I know its really low on the glycemic index so hoped it might be okay?

Quote Originally Posted by flemmo View Post
    As we know, sugar in any form is bad for rosacea. But does this include Xylitol? I know its really low on the glycemic index so hoped it might be okay?
    I think it works broadly thus: if it spikes your blood sugar it's bad. There are probably other implications in artificial sweeteners, too. But I haven't looked at any closely.
    "It's all illusion anyway."

According to Wikipedia, "One teaspoon (5 gm) of xylitol contains 9.6 kilocalories (Cal), as compared to one teaspoon of sugar, which has 15 Cal." My advice is to not use any sugar or sugar alcohol for thirty days and reduce your total carbohydrate consumption to less than 30 grams a day. Does this test improve your rosacea? After the thirty days eat all the xylitol, sugar and carbohydrate you want and see if your rosacea comes back? Simple test but very hard for most rosaceans to even try.
    Brady Barrows
    Join the RRDi

Xylitol is nice if you like diarrhea though ^^

Quote Originally Posted by Wildscenery View Post
    Xylitol is nice if you like diarrhea though ^^
    LOLs! That's one of them implications. I guess it beats up one of your organs to give up its juices.
    "It's all illusion anyway."

Thanks for the replies.
    White sugar has a GI of 64 and Xylitol only 7. So that's really good isn't it? Also I suffer with seb derm so its its non-candida properties appeal to me.

My diet is fresh veg, brown rice, poultry and fish. Pretty much been on this diet since my rosacea started 5 years ago. It helps a bit but the permanent redness is still quite bad. My nose is really bad. Flushes loads and is very red.

Brady, does the calorie count matter too much as long as the sugar is low? For example, I eat lots of chicken legs which have a fair few calories but no sugar. I seem to be able to eat as much of them as I like

The best non calorie sweetener and sugar substitute is Stevia, a natural leaf that is 300 times sweeter than sugar. Way safer than Xylitol and other man made chemical sugar substitutes. If you take Xylitol for the rest of your life you will find out what it does to you. Stevia is a leaf from a tree. You decide which is safer.
    Brady Barrows
    Join the RRDi

Brady, does the calorie count matter too much as long as the sugar is low? For example, I eat lots of chicken legs which have a fair few calories but no sugar. I seem to be able to eat as much of them as I like
    The amount of calories doesn't matter. You can eat as many calories of protein and fat as you want. The rosacea trigger is carbohydrate, particularly sugar. You need to reduce the calories from carbohydrate and sugar only. The easier way to figure this is look at the nutrition facts label and note the amount of GRAMS the food or drink item contains in carbohydrate. Reduce your carbohydrate intake to 30 grams a day for 30 days to see if your rosacea improves. If it does you will be a happier person if you have the endurance and fortitude to try this experiment. After the thirty days then gorge yourself with all those carbohydrate delights you sacrificed during those thirty days and note if your rosacea returns. It may take a few days, maybe even a week or longer, but it will return with gusto, probably a real noticeable flare up. That might also convince you that carbohydrate and sugar is a rosacea trigger. You are the only one that needs to be convinced since I have been telling everyone this for over eleven years and most rosaceans won't try it.
    Brady Barrows
    Join the RRDi

Brady Barrows
    Join the RRDi

Might want to look into how much meat you're actually eating. Chicken contains loads of nicotinic acid which is universally known to cause facial flushing in even non-rosaceans. http://www.doctoryourself.com/niacin.html Fish isn't that far behind. All meat, poultry and fish, certain nuts to some extent, and even grains like brown rice all contain varying but high amounts of nicotinic acid. Some sources say the average amount people can tolerate without flushing is about 50 mg. After that, you can pretty much guarantee a flush. It basically has to do with what you need. If you're consuming more than the body uses, you're over-saturated and you will flush. Sometimes it's delayed, sometimes it's immediate. Sometimes only the face is affected, sometimes the neck, chest, or back could be affected as well. Everyone's different in the way they respond.

Not saying this is the case, but that was the case with me. I ate loads of meat. My permanent redness went down for a while and then all of a sudden I started flushing like I've never flushed before. I would be at work eating my lunch of chicken pieces and go back to work with my face literally beet red. I was convinced I was allergic to something in the lunchroom and so talked with my manager about it and he said he noticed my face but didn't mention it. After doing the research, I traced my flushing episodes to starting a few days after doubling my meat intake, since it took a couple of days for my body to reach saturation levels and then every day I would go over that by leaps and bounds and, sure enough, flush every day.

You can look here http://nutritiondata.self.com/ to calculate how much niacin (B3) you are consuming daily. Just type in the food you want to look up and estimate or weigh the amount you usually eat daily. Total that, and if you're eating over 50 mg daily you're probably quite over-saturated.
    Current skincare regime for rosacea subtypes I, II and IV started March, 2012:

*Strict diet. No dairy, wheat, sugar, nuts/seeds, legumes. Only meat, 'safe starches', and low-phenol starchy/unstarchy fruits and veggies and water with ghee, lard and duck fat as cooking aids and sources of fat. Also avoiding food intolerances.
    Supplementing with raw food multivitamin, liquid zinc sulfate with copper, epsom salt baths (magnesium sulfate), calcium and vitamin C. Lots of water!