Thread: Sick of RED

Default Sick of RED

I have lurked here for awhile. I have Rosacea. I am 42 years old. I have very, very fair skin. I had the erythema and telangiectasias for years but really didn't know what it was. I covered my pink cheeks, nose, and chin with mineral make up and that seemed to be okay for years. A couple years ago it got worse. The pink got darker and moved to most of my face. The veins are all over my cheeks, nose and in between. I started to get p&p all over my cheeks, chin, forehead, and nose. I went to a dermatologist and got some Oracea and in 2 months it was manageable. A few months later it came back, but worse.

I took the Oracea again and also used Finacea. The Finacea was too strong for my skin. It itched and caused it to become even more red. I tried a generic Metrocream. It caused the same issues. My doctor told me to discontinue it. The Oracea didn't do much this time. My dermatologist didn't have many answers.

I just lived with it for awhile but while exercising with a team fitness group the flushing/blushing became so bad that after 1 hour my face was so red, hot and swollen I had to put a cold, wet wash cloth on my face. That helped the pain and swelling but the red stuck around.

I found a new dermatologist a week ago. She put me on 100 mgs of Doxycycline. She also prescribed me Metrogel and Plexion cleanser (Prascion Cleanser 170.3GM) After a week the redness and p&p got worse. I saw another derm there who told me to discontinue the cleanser and changed the Metrogel to Metrocream. I asked some questions about laser. He also told me that my Rosacea was at a 10 out of 10. The board certified derm and nurse seemed a bit surprised that I didn't come in sooner with how bad it was. He compared me to the lady on the brochure, saying mine was almost as bad. They took pictures and I have to say they were right.

They did tell me the V Beam laser could possibly help me. He said he usually gets about 80-90% results. Sometimes it only works about 50-60% for some people. He said because my skin is so red it would bruise considerably and be swollen. He could give me dilaudid with a shot and I would need a ride. He told me I would need 2-4 treatments and each of the treatments are $788.00 with an extra $100 for a test patch. So it could cost me $3000.00

I understand there is no cure for Rosacea. I have a few questions. I know everyone is different.

1. I am on 100mgs of Doxycycline. I have only been on it for a week. Does this work differently than the Oracea? Could this possibly work if the Oracea did not? How long before I might see any change? (I know everyone is different) I just wanted to know about when I might want to try something new in the way of an oral antibiotic. Does anyone use any other antibiotics? Any different mgs?

2. Does Doxycyline help with p&p and erythema? Does anyone know how?

3. I am going to use Metrocream starting today. I have used Finacea and Metrogel. If both of them caused lots of red and more p&p, could the Metrocream have the opposite effect? Has anyone seen that happen? Are there other topical medications or have I used most of them?

4. If your Rosacea is a 10 out of 10 for redness and it stays 24/7 and so does the p&p, can the oral and topical do anything or is the dermatologist correct when he says a laser is all that has the possibility of helping 80-90%?

5. Is $788 per session for V Beam seem like a normal price with a Board Certified Dermatologist doing it? I live in Chicago suburbs. Is there somewhere where I can read reviews of Derms doing laser in Chicago?

6. Also, the derm said I would have bruising/swelling to be able to do anything for me in the stage I am. He would be using a 595 nm wavelength, Pulse duration 3 ms. and Fluence is 6-9 joules/cm2. He said that I will have to have about a week of downtime between treatments. They should be done every 4-6 weeks. When I was stunned by the price they office manager said that some people wait longer between treatments. Is it okay to wait?

Thank you so much for any help anyone can give me. It is strange to think a few years ago my skin was what everyone complemented me on. Now it looks so red and bumpy.

Hi

Welcome to the forum.

See below my answers to some of your questions.

2. Yes, in my case it did help with p&ps.

3. It can cause redness and further irritate your skin if you apply too much metrocream - just apply it very thinly.

4. My Rosacea was not 10 out of 10 for redness, but quite severe too. The oral and topical helped a lot to improve the redness and p&ps. I would say my skin has recovered around 90% with regard to p&ps.
    The oral and topical medication didn't have any impact on my broken capillaries though.
    (I have never had laser, so don't know how much in % my skin would improve with, sorry.)

Thanks for the post, Gigi. I'm glad to hear the doxy works for the p&p. I will be sure to use very little of the Metrocream. My face it so broken out and dry and itchy I am afraid to wash it with anything. It is actually oily and dry at the same time.

Does anyone have any soap or moisturizer that would be okay on a very oily and dry and red broken out face?

I think I asked too many questions at one time. If anyone has any answers to any of them, I appreciate any help I can get.

Thanks so much.

Quote Originally Posted by windycity View Post
    Thanks for the post, Gigi. I'm glad to hear the doxy works for the p&p. I will be sure to use very little of the Metrocream. My face it so broken out and dry and itchy I am afraid to wash it with anything. It is actually oily and dry at the same time.

Does anyone have any soap or moisturizer that would be okay on a very oily and dry and red broken out face?

I think I asked too many questions at one time. If anyone has any answers to any of them, I appreciate any help I can get.

Thanks so much.
    Hi windycity

My dermatologist recommended to wash my face with Cetaphil Gentle Cleanser in the morning and in the evening.
    I use it without any water, just rub it into your skin and then take it off with a cotton pad.

As a moisturizer, she recommended from La Roche Posay, Toleriane Fluid.

When I started the treatment though, I was advised to use the moisturizer only when it is absolutely necessary.

Thanks so much, Gigi. I'm going to get both today. Just started with the Metrocream last night. Hopefully the topical and oral antibiotics will calm my face down a bit. Thanks again.