Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 17

Thread: My Disastrous V-Beam Experience-A Cautionary Tale

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    5

    Default My Disastrous V-Beam Experience-A Cautionary Tale

    I have had two V-Beams to treat flushing....one in the fall of 2009 and one in the winter of 2011. Not realizing that the skin changes I experienced a few months after the first treatment were due to the laser treatment, I foolishly had a second treatment. Unfortunately, the wrinkling is severe, along with some pits, enlarged pores, strange red bumps, and small areas of fat loss. But the worst are the wrinkles: The areas that were untreated are wrinkle free. I am in my 60's, so perhaps my age is a factor...perhaps the laser does more damage to older skin, and that the skin never repairs itself. I always looked younger than my age, but that is no longer true. My facial skin has aged at least 10 years, if not more.
    I am not alone in my experience as I discovered on the laser damage forum.
    Perhaps my tale will prevent someone from sharing the same fate. I know many people seem to have great results without serious side effects, but who knows what the long-term damages might be. I regret not being better informed and am devasted that my skin is ruined forever.

  2. #2
    Senior Member GiGi.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    158

    Default

    Hi

    Very sorry to hear that you have to go through this.

    So that people can put your experience in a better context, would you mind adding some additional information?

    1. Did you have a slight sun tan before the laser treatments?
    2. What is your skin type? (Fitzpatrick skin chart)
    3. Do you have other illness and/or are on medication?

  3. #3
    Senior Member Ghost's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    2,033

    Default

    Hi Destiny,

    Sorry to hear about your trouble. I do hope it's temporary and your good skin will come through again. Did your doctor say anything about this when you told her or him?
    "It's all illusion anyway."

  4. #4
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    5

    Default

    Thank you for you caring comments. Before having the laser treatments, I attended a "Laser Class" that detailed the treatment and side effects. No one mentioned wrinkling, enlarged pores, loss of fat, or dents, or sores. The only side effects mentioned were pigmentation changes which would resolve over time. A few months after the first treatment, I started developing sores on my face ( not papules or pimples) but areas of eroded skin that took months to heal. Up to that time, my skin had been clear but frequently flushed due to the rosacea. I did not relate the sores to the laser treatment, not until after the second laser episode, when so many side effects drove me to the laser damage forum where I discoverd that my experience was not unique.
    Before treatment, if someone had said that my pores would be severely enlarged, and that I would have accelerated wrinkling, I would have declined the treatment. I was naive and ill-informed. I suggest that anyone thinking about cosmetic laser treatment reseach the the Laser and IPL Damage Forum.
    Last edited by Destiny; 11th July 2011 at 07:15 PM. Reason: grammar

  5. #5
    Senior Member Ghost's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    2,033

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Destiny View Post
    Thank you for you caring comments. Before having the laser treatments, I attended a "Laser Class" that detailed the treatment and side effects. No one mentioned wrinkling, enlarged pores, loss of fat, or dents, or sores. The only side effects mentioned were pigmentation changes which would resolve over time. A few months after the first treatment, I started developing sores on my face ( not papules or pimples) but areas of eroded skin that took months to heal. Up to that time, my skin had been clear but frequently flushed due to the rosacea. I did not relate the sores to the laser treatment, not until after the second laser episode, when so many side effects drove me to the laser damage forum where I discoverd that my experience was not unique.
    Before treatment, if someone had said that my pores would be severely enlarged, and that I would have accelerated wrinkling, I would have declined the treatment. I was naive and ill-informed. I suggest that anyone thinking about cosmetic laser treatment reseach the the Laser and IPL Damage Forum.
    Hi Destiny, I never would have done it, either, knowing about the "hidden" side effects. Very scary. Would you want to, or did your derm offer retin -A to help with the pores and wrinkles? I have some large pores by my nose, and next time I see my derm, which won't be for several months I think, I will ask about this. The sores are what sound very strange -- did you ever have strep or something treacherous like that that would live inside your skin, and now would be disturbed? Are the sores located around your nose or over your sinuses?
    "It's all illusion anyway."

  6. #6
    Senior Member GiGi.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    158

    Default

    Sorry, but if the OP is not willing to provide further details what has led to this laser accident, I consider this just as scaremongering and potentially an ad for this other mentioned forum.
    Not helpful for other users.

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    1,038

    Default

    A mandelic acid peel might be a helpful option to consider, since this particular peel (not other kinds of peels) has been found helpful by rosacea sufferers and also helpful in skin recovery after lasers.

  8. #8
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    5

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GiGi. View Post
    Sorry, but if the OP is not willing to provide further details what has led to this laser accident, I consider this just as scaremongering and potentially an ad for this other mentioned forum.
    Not helpful for other users.

    I have absolutely no agenda, nor any vested interest in the other site. I have never posted there and only found the site after much research. I never referred to my experience as an accident. And I only wrote here after much soul searching because I did not want to scare anyone. But I did have a negative result, and wish I had been better informed.

  9. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    52

    Default

    Destiny I am really sorry to hear about your v beam experience. Have you returned to the clinic told them how unhappy you are and perhaps they can provide treatments to help your skin.
    Was this a uk based clinic?
    I really hope that skin recovers with time.

  10. #10
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    41

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ghost View Post
    Would you want to, or did your derm offer retin -A to help with the pores and wrinkles?
    I would NEVER use any retin-A based cream of any sort, especially on sensitive skin.
    I used one, years before my rosacea started, and i small wrinkle appeared under my left eye. Hopefully, it faded over the years (and with a little help of IPL).

    Using retinol can damage the skin, let alone on fragile skins, eventhough results can be spectacular in the beginning. But once you stop it, things reverse and get worse.
    Do not use retinol creams.

Similar Threads

  1. Cautionary tale-antihistamines + sinus infection
    By queta in forum Topical and oral products (non-prescription)
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 24th July 2014, 02:57 PM
  2. A Tale of Caution
    By banshee in forum Intense pulsed light and laser
    Replies: 32
    Last Post: 24th July 2010, 01:16 AM
  3. My first v-beam experience
    By valby in forum Intense pulsed light and laser
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 2nd December 2008, 12:02 AM
  4. My First V-Beam Experience Today
    By DJC in forum Intense pulsed light and laser
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 25th February 2008, 01:56 PM
  5. Disastrous IPL-How long to wait for more?
    By Slippergirl in forum Intense pulsed light and laser
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 13th October 2005, 11:28 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •