Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: My Story with ZZ Cream

Default My Story with ZZ Cream

Hi,
    About 1.5 years ago I was diagnosed with the big R. I suffered mostly from P&Ps and not the flushing redness (although having all those P&Ps did make my face look a bit red) I got the P&P's on my forehead (more on one side than the other for some reason??) and around my nose. After I was diagnosed I was put on 100mg of Doxy and perscribed Metrogel. After a few weeks everything completely cleared up and I was perscribed Oracea. Things went well for quite a few months and then I sort of felt that Oracea was losing the battle. I started to get more and more breakouts more and more frequently. I also stopped using the Metrogel as it didn't appear to do anything.

I did have some success with eating low carb (thanks to Brady's book) and avoiding wine (wine seemed to be a big trigger for me) but while eating low carb was helpful it wasn't enough. About 2 weeks ago I ordered the ZZ cream and also the Fumanling cream from Demodex Solutions. Based on some of the other helpful threads I read I thought I should start one too.

Shipping was pretty quick from Hong Kong and I started with the ZZ and the Fumanling cream about 1.5 weeks ago. My orignal plan was to use the ZZ at night before bed and the Fumanling cream in the morning as a moisturizer as I read the ZZ cream is pretty drying.

The first couple of days were tough. My forehead got really red and blotchy. My skin was dry and flaking but yet super oily. I stopped using the Fumanling cream every morning as it was really making me feel way too oily. After a few days the extra red blotchy skin went away. I did get one new huge bumb in the center of my forehead but that has since gone way down.

This week things are looking much better. My forehead is starting to clear. The dry flaking skin has mostly gone away. I feel like my skin is starting to get used to the ZZ cream. A little of the ZZ cream goes a long ways. While the container is very small - it feels like it will last well over a month. I do hate the sulfur smell to it though. I only use the fumanling cream every other morning and I no longer feel too oily.

I read that lots of people when they first start ZZ cream get worse for the first few weeks before they get better.....but luckily I haven't had too much of that. I am still taking my Oracea - so perhaps the Oracea is helping curb the extra breakouts that tend to occur when people first start taking ZZ.

Will try to get this updated once a week or so. Feel free to ask any questions.

The other thing I forgot to mention was just how itchy my forehead was for a few days after starting with the ZZ cream. Luckily that has mostly gone away.

Default 2 week update

Tonight will mark the 2 week point since I started with ZZ. Things have mostly been going great. My forehead has really, really cleared up. I actually went out on the town this weekend and didn't feel self conscious at all. My skin hasn't been this clear since I was taking the 100mg of Doxy daily. I am really surprised at the results.

Now, today my forehead isn't quite as wonderful (might be connected to whooping it up this weekend) but it is still much, much better than it was 2 weeks ago.

I think I am going to start weening off the oracea and see if I am still getting these good results with just using the ZZ cream.

Quote Originally Posted by chchchanging View Post
    Tonight will mark the 2 week point since I started with ZZ. Things have mostly been going great. My forehead has really, really cleared up. I actually went out on the town this weekend and didn't feel self conscious at all. My skin hasn't been this clear since I was taking the 100mg of Doxy daily. I am really surprised at the results.

Now, today my forehead isn't quite as wonderful (might be connected to whooping it up this weekend) but it is still much, much better than it was 2 weeks ago.

I think I am going to start weening off the oracea and see if I am still getting these good results with just using the ZZ cream.
    Hi chchchanging -- did you whoop it up with sugars and other simple carbs? I understand the temptation -- you're suddenly normal and want to act like every other normal person enjoying a summer weekend.

Looking forward to the next part of your tale.
    "It's all illusion anyway."

Hey Changing,

Im glad youre having success with the ZZ cream. One thing you have to realize is, yes you will improve alot on the the ZZ, however there still might be bad days/weeks. Ive actually been up and down alot the past 2 weeks or so. No real reason either, as far as diet or difference in activities go. You just have to take it day by day. Some days I feel so "normal", like you did this past weekend. Other days, I feel pretty terrible about my skin. Its an ongoing battle, and the ZZ can only do so much. I feel its important to change/wash your pillow cases frequently.... probably every 3rd or every other day at the minimum. Ive also started using the ZZ during the day, where I was only using it at night. If I have any p&ps anywhere on my face when I wake up, I dab just a little bit of ZZ on those areas, but I dont use it all over my face like I do at night. I feel like this has kept the stubborn areas under control throughout the day. 2 months ago I never thought Id be able to put it on more than once, but your skin become more tolerable to the harshness of the ZZ (at least mine did and I have SUPER sensitive skin). So dont be afraid to fiddle with your routine and find something that works for you. Keep us posted.

Default 3 week update

After a wonderful 2nd week - the 3rd week was much tougher. Still using the ZZ cream every night. In the mornings I will either A) spot treat with ZZ cream (like Kirk had mentioned) B) Use the Fumnaling Cream or C) do nothing.

Also, not taking the Oracea every day may have played a part in having a tougher 3rd week.

Some of the big problem areas on my forehead have cleared up very nicely but now I am getting some breakouts in other areas. Hard to figure out all this stuff. Will keep on using the ZZ cream every night as it definitely has helped.

My skin is definitely getting used to the ZZ cream and the initial little jar still has a lot of product left in it - so for me each jar is going to last more than a month.

Ghost is correct...we all definitely do have that desire to be normal again.

Hey changing,

I completely know how you feel about things being a little tough. Its really an up and down cycle with dealing with p&ps.... at least it has been for me. Im 7 weeks into using ZZ and my skin is finally starting to be a little more consistant. I still get 1 or 2 bumps here and there, but the past 7-10 has been a lot better for me. 2-3 weeks ago it was a different story. Some days I looked fine, others I would have multiple breakouts. Just stick it out and be consistant with your treatment. Try and stick with the low carbs (no sugar/flour) and drink alot of water. I know thats been helping me too.

After a wonderful 2nd week - the 3rd week was much tougher. Still using the ZZ cream every night. In the mornings I will either A) spot treat with ZZ cream (like Kirk had mentioned) B) Use the Fumnaling Cream or C) do nothing.

Also, not taking the Oracea every day may have played a part in having a tougher 3rd week.

Some of the big problem areas on my forehead have cleared up very nicely but now I am getting some breakouts in other areas. Hard to figure out all this stuff. Will keep on using the ZZ cream every night as it definitely has helped.

My skin is definitely getting used to the ZZ cream and the initial little jar still has a lot of product left in it - so for me each jar is going to last more than a month.

Ghost is correct...we all definitely do have that desire to be normal again.

Default 4 Week Update

Its been a little over 4 weeks since I first started. Not much has changed from previous update. Still continue to see a nice clearing of old P&P's - but am still experiencing new breakouts.

Nothing is easy it seems. But, will continue and see what happens.

Its been a little over 4 weeks since I first started. Not much has changed from previous update. Still continue to see a nice clearing of old P&P's - but am still experiencing new breakouts.

Nothing is easy it seems. But, will continue and see what happens.
    Some have reported it takes 60 to 90 days for complete clearing. Hang in there. You can see that it has improved your skin. Are you eating low carbohydrate?
    Brady Barrows
    Join the RRDi

Cool

Hi Brady

The ZZ cream seems to work better for pustules and papules than flushing/broken vessels?

Thanks