Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What worked for my SD.

Default What worked for my SD.

Hey guys, I have Accutane induced rosacea so it was almost inevitable I was going to develop SD at some point as this seems to happen frequently from what I've seen.

Anyway I somehow managed to make it through the harsh British winter without getting it and it was only in early Spring of this year that I was truly afflicted by it.

At its worst I had it both sideburns, in and above both eyebrows, a patch to the left of my mouth and a large patch that almost covered my entire left cheek.

I had the classic symptoms and could distinguish it easily for my usual rosacea. The patches were a mixture of red/brown/yellow in colour, were rough to the touch and had large amounts of flaking which stopped abruptly at the borders of the patches.

After trying all of the usual treatments with little to no success and the patch on my left cheek spreading by the day, I found a post on here started by kkent about a clinical trial testing petroleum jelly for Seb Derm and one line in particular sparked my interest:

"Petrolatum is considered a skin protectant and has a strong ability to hold moisture in skin. Along with restricting water from leaving skin, it also decreases most air from contacting the skin. This may slow the growth and activity of skin yeast that are typically considered facultative anaerobes."

It interested me because this was a different method of treatment than the usual ones that used chemicals to kill the yeast, many of which are also quite irritating to skin. It also does not allow for the yeast to become 'resistant' to the treatment unless they somehow adapt to live without oxygen. It was also a single ingredient.

My method was to apply diluted ACV (1:3) to the patches. Leave for around 10 minutes then wash my face. I would then apply petroleum jelly to the patches (Vaseline). All of this was done at night. I would not recommend during the day as the Vaseline is extremely sticky and greasy-looking and it does not absorb into the skin.

Note: I had tried ACV for a few weeks on its own before this and while I feel it worked to some degree ( it got rid of flakes) at harming the yeast, it only made it look more red/irritated. It does not help that some people say you need to experience this increased irritation before results will show, they did not for me.

Being acne-prone (hence the Accutane) I was worried that such a heavy product would block my pores and cause me to break out. There is not a lot of information online about this, but I found a fair few websites that said the particles of petroleum jelly are too large for it to be considered comedogenic. There were warnings though to not ingest this or inhale its fumes which is strange as I have heard of many people applying it to the inside of the nostrils to relieve dryness.

Anyways, I would say this method started working straight away. I noticed the patches to be calmer-looking in the morning and I would say it was very noticeably better after a week and pretty much gone in 2 weeks. I then stopped applying ACV to my face and continued the Vaseline. I would say after another two further weeks I stopped applying Vaseline and it has not returned.

I still apply Vaseline occasionally at night because I feel it may help calm my rosacea too. This may be just the effect of the SD clearing though.

Previous treatments I have tried included Head and Shoulders applied to the patches, manuka honey, coconut oil, clotrimazole cream, Sudocreme and ACV. They all had varying degrees of success (from zero to minor), most left me with relief for a few hours afterwords but nothing long-lasting.

I will also mention that I follow a fairly strict Paleoish diet (no dairy, no wheat/grains, low-sugar) which seems to really benefit my acne and while it did not prevent me from getting SD I think that if I ate many carbs/sugars it would definitely adversely affect my rosacea and acne and most likely SD too. There is a definite diet-skin connection for me.

Now I'm not here to push this treatment. This forum has been incredibly helpful to me even just as a passive reader. I am all too aware that what works for one will not for another (first-hand experience) and your results may not match mine. I will say it is worth a try though as it is a single ingredient, single application at night (no complicated protocol) and seems to have some scientific-backing in the form of the clinical trial (for what its worth).

Good-luck.

Default Sounds good

Hi Milano

I to had read about that trial and was keen to hear about the results, as it made sense to me. I am now coming to the end of yet another product with no real results again. I will be giving this a try. However, what is ACV?

Pez

Default Apple Cider Vinegar

Quote Originally Posted by Pez View Post
    Hi Milano

I to had read about that trial and was keen to hear about the results, as it made sense to me. I am now coming to the end of yet another product with no real results again. I will be giving this a try. However, what is ACV?

Pez
    Hey Pez,

ACV is Apple Cider Vinegar, a somewhat popular alternative treatment for Seb Derm. You can probably read a fair few experiences of using it on these forums, both positive and negative.

Hi Milano

Thanks. I did work it out for myself in the end. Is the Vaseline still working ok for you? I used it for the first time last night. No real signs of improvement yet but early days.

Quote Originally Posted by Pez View Post
    Hi Milano

Thanks. I did work it out for myself in the end. Is the Vaseline still working ok for you? I used it for the first time last night. No real signs of improvement yet but early days.
    Hey Pez,

I haven't been using the Vaseline nearly as much and there is still no visible signs of Seb Derm.

I would say stick with it if its not causing you any problems. I just dabbed it on and around to the patches at night.

I think I'm going to try this since it seems like an inexpensive way to treat SD (and I already sometimes use vaseline as a moisturizer) one question about the ACV though, I was reading on wikipedia that ACV actually contains yeast so I'm just wondering why it combats the SD rather than making it worse.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris7 View Post
    I think I'm going to try this since it seems like an inexpensive way to treat SD (and I already sometimes use vaseline as a moisturizer) one question about the ACV though, I was reading on wikipedia that ACV actually contains yeast so I'm just wondering why it combats the SD rather than making it worse.
    Chris,

Could you update us on your progress periodically? It would be appreciated.

Also, would you mind you telling us how you think you seb derm started? Was it accutane, steroids, etc.?

Thank you.

I just got the ACV but I'm a bit tired so I'll start it tomorrow, as to how I got it it's kind of a long story...

From about the ages 10-16 I was a vegetarian kind of just peer pressured from my older brother but at 16 I decided to eat meat again, coincidently there was a del taco across the street from my high school so I would go eat there every tuesday (taco tuesday is a really good deal) but then I started getting acne like crazy and I would try all sorts of acne treatments, and at this time I never read the ingredients to these anti acne products so I'm assuming it was steroid induced. Although I could of just gotten it from the unhealthy diet I'm not really sure because before I knew it was SD I thought it was really bad acne scars.

My SD isn't really that bad (it used to be horrible) I used to have it on my forehead, cheeks and nose but now its just on the cheek folds and the nose. It went from super red to only kind of red. Even though I've been able to bring my SD down by like 60 percent I still can't stand the remaining redness. The dryness gets really bad whenever I apply any soap on my face (even SD soaps) and that's when I apply the vaseline (but unlike you I don't like applying it at night because it makes it harder for me to sleep)

Sorry for long response I just feel comfortable explaining it on this forum since you guys have the same problem that I do. I'm really hoping this works and I will keep you posted.

Default Day 1

I think my brother threw out the cotton balls in the house so I had to use cotton swabs today which took forever. Also I'm not sure if I mixed too much water (1 cup of water and 1/3 of a cup of ACV) let me know if that's too much too little or just right. I was worried that it was going to burn like hell since its 5% acidity but fortunately it didn't burn just left the SD feeling dry (although it was already feeling dry before that.) I then applied the vaseline and now it doesn't feel dry just feels a little greasy which is definently not as bad as having tight and dry feeling skin.

Default Day 2

Today applying the ACV wasn't so great, I did manage to get cottonballs so applying it was much easier and only took like 15 seconds. Unfortunately I was dumb enough to apply it under my eyes (that area is sensitive part of my skin for some reason) but it actually made it more inflammed. Also for some reason even though I didn't get better or worse yesterday, today some parts of my face got these red patches that appear to be hives. I also suffer from exercise induced urticaria on my chest and it looks the same as that. So I'm hoping it will be the same as the hives I get on my chest and last only a few minutes. The good news though is it's not really dry feeling today so I don't feel the need to add vaseline which means no oily feeling.