Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Joining the club of "Steroids Induced Rosacea" :(

Default Joining the club of "Steroids Induced Rosacea" :(

Hello All,

I was just diagnosed by my derm that I have "Steroids Induced Rosacea".

I have been on Hydrocortisone, Momate and other steroids for the past 18 months.
    My Story :

I am an Asian Indian, 33yrs, fair skin, living in the United States. I react bad to Fluoride in water and so was keeping away from it in the United States by using only Distilled water.
    Lot of my friends wanted me to check with a Dermatologist as to why Fluoride did not suit me. I never honored their advice for 7 years until one day I gave in and went to a Dermatologist (pathetic day of my life). That Derm put me on Steroids for 5 months and then I had horrible skin after I quit the Steroids. I went to another Derm and he said I used a powerful steroid and he gave me Momate Cream. I had good skin for a little while and then again broke out after I quit Momate. I finally went to another Derm and gave me Hydrocortisone butyrate for 2 weeks which cleared my skin completely. After quitting the cream I broke out very bad and my derm refused to give me any more of that cream saying that I have Steroids Induced Rosacea. So for the past 2 days I am on Doxycycline 40 mg to be taken once every day in the morning with empty stomach and Finacea(azelaic acid) Gel, 15% to be applied topically once in the morning and once in the night. This gel stings
    Right now my face is terrible and I am not able to show up at work like this.
    I never had any skin problems ever since my birth and it completely sux.
    I don't see any light at the end of the tunnel. I am trying my best to control my depression and don't know what else I can do. I am hiding my face under a veil all the time and hiding from this world as much as I can
    I am praying to get well soon. Please keep me in your prayers

~ Red red Rose

Hello, redredrose,

May I ask why the derm gave you steroids in the first place? Was the fluoride giving you rosacea or a rash?

How is your diet? Many of us found that going low carb (no cheating) has helped a lot. Sugar and flours/grains are often the culprits in skin (and inner) inflammation. It's a good first step to take, going low carb. It helped me immensely after decades of suffering. (I didn't think I was having that much carb! But I was having enough to have a sensitivity to it.)

I see you have received drugs for rosacea -- did your doc say that you have rosacea? (It's interesting, none of mine did until well after an OPTICIAN diagnosed me due to my dry eyes. I brought up the R word, rosacea, to the derms after that. PRIOR they said things like I have "sensitive skin" or my "pores are the wrong shape". )

My personal protocol is written up in my profile. If you read it what you'll see if how quickly I went from ugly skin to beautiful skin once I figured out what was wrong with me. It's figuring out what the problem is and how to solve it that takes forever. Once you know, it's easy. Prior to this I'd been under every Rx under the sun. NONE of them worked. (I believe meds always have a backlash.)
    "It's all illusion anyway."

Thank you for your reply.

I am not sure if Flouride gave me rash or rosacea earlier. But I think it was only rash. I used to put a slight amount of Benzoyl Peroxide on the lttle rash I used to get and it would just go away. If I wash my face with Purified by Reverse Osmosis Water, I wouldn't get any rash. But if I used Tap water my facial skin would get dry, flaky and acne kind of rash would build up. Even my lips used to crack up very bad. But a very little amount of Benzoyl Peroxide would do the trick if I used tap water.
    My friends wanted me to see a Derm because of that Fluoride issue. So before visiting the Derm for the first time I washed my face for 3 consecutive days in tap water and so I broke out bad into acne. I just wanted the derm to see my face and let them know that Fluoride is horrible only because none of the doctors in this world would agree with me that fluoride is bad
    So the derm saw my face and gave me steroid. She told me not to use Benzoyl Peroxide anymore because the medicine which she gave me doesn't work with Benzoyl Peroxide. She said I can use that for any number of days and even allowed refills. I used that steroid cream without knowing that it is steroid for 5 months. ( I don't remember the name threw it away recently). After 5 months my face broke out bad even if quit the cream for a single day. Then I had to visit another derm who said that the cream was very bad and it is steroid and I shouldn't have used it. He gave me some other creams and it didn't help. Later I visited a Pharmacist who gave me HydroCortisone over the counter and everything on my face cleared up. I used to get some rash as soon as I quit Hydrocortisone and so I continued using it. When I went to India, I saw another derm who gave me Momate and it worked like a charm. It cleared up my skin way better than the Hydrocortisone. So I used to use Momate occasionally...like 3 days a week and after 5 months my skin became worse. No cream on this earth would suit and I had to visit another derm here in US and he told me that Momate is another strong steriod and I shouldn't have used it that long.
    so he gave me Hydrocortisone Butyrate and told me to use it only for 2 weeks and strictly said No for a refill. That cream cleared up my face very well but as soon as I quit I broke into small bumps and they just kept increasing and it became very awful. My left eye is quite red too with itching and slight burning....as if something is in my eye.
    So 3 days back he told me that I have Steroid Induced Rosacea and he put me on Doxycycline and Finacea.
    The change in my food diet since last 18 months is....I have been drinking a lot of coffee I never drank coffee in my whole life until these past 18 months. I seriously got addicted to it. I am not sure that is aggrevating my crazy skin
    But right now I am very sad and depressed. I am not able to go to work and I am hiding myself under a scarf all the time. I QUIT coffee for the past 3 days. I hope to get my skin back
    My diet is am a strict Vegetarian. I do eat carbs regularly (Rice) and lentils, some veggies and yogurt. I used to drink milk (2 cups a day) until I got addicted to coffee --> Starbucks Tall Mocha --> I am trying hard to quit it now...coz I really love it
    I have been applying Tulsi powder mixed with water on my face. In India we get Tulsi plants so I could crush some fresh leaves and apply but here in US I could only get Dried Tulsi Powder in a grocery store and so I have no choice. So, I am applying the dried Tulsi Powder mixed with little distilled water on my face as a mask. I don't say it is helping me at the moment but atleast it is a herb and I feel good as soon as I apply. May be it will help slowly because it cures acne in an excellent way and so I am applying that on my face right now as a mask and leave it for a while.

I used tulsi powder, too. first few applications it seemed miraculous. But then it was back to the same old.

One thing that really helped me was low carbing. I was completely vegetarian, too. But I had to switch to eating fish and having more eggs and dairy (I can tolerate dairy just fine) to substitute for the grains I was not eating. And it did make a difference.

Coffee never hurt me.

Before I started low carbing I not only had rosacea, I also had dry flaky skin. But my skin went to "normal" in just a few DAYS, if I dare say that, once I changed my diet.

So, it's what I can offer you now. Maybe, maybe doing this will make you far less sensitive to externals, like tap water.

I'm still not happy eating fish! But I have to. So be it.

Did you look into ayurvedic cleansing at the defunct yahoo the rosacea cure site? Drinking ghee made me clear for a few days. Of course, you can't drink it forever! But back then I failed to make the carb connection. Duh.

I always say Live and learn.

Good luck.

Might read this post on steroid rosacea for some more info.
    Brady Barrows
    Join the RRDi

Exclamation

Thanks Ghost.
    Which part of the day did you drink ghee ? and how much of amount ?
    I do eat ghee in my food, not sure if I need to take in extra amount though..

Did you try applying home made yogurt any time ? After I wash of Tulsi Powder am applying cold home made yogurt. It stings a little bit but since am applying cold yogurt I am able to bear it. It settles after a little while. As a matter of fact anything I put on my face stings. So I don't think it is just the yogurt..
    What did you put in your eyes ? Just regular eye drops ? I need to get some eye drops to clear the redness in my left eye.
    I cannot eat Fish for sure since being a strict Vegetarian all the while. Egg is also a big deal for me though I eat cakes.
    Thanks for all your help and support, I will keep posting my day to day progress. It is good to find someone who understands what I am going through. Thank you. Good Luck to you !

~ redredRose

Quote Originally Posted by redredrose View Post
    Thanks Ghost.
    Which part of the day did you drink ghee ? and how much of amount ?
    I do eat ghee in my food, not sure if I need to take in extra amount though..

Did you try applying home made yogurt any time ? After I wash of Tulsi Powder am applying cold home made yogurt. It stings a little bit but since am applying cold yogurt I am able to bear it. It settles after a little while. As a matter of fact anything I put on my face stings. So I don't think it is just the yogurt..
    What did you put in your eyes ? Just regular eye drops ? I need to get some eye drops to clear the redness in my left eye.
    I cannot eat Fish for sure since being a strict Vegetarian all the while. Egg is also a big deal for me though I eat cakes.
    Thanks for all your help and support, I will keep posting my day to day progress. It is good to find someone who understands what I am going through. Thank you. Good Luck to you !

~ redredRose
    redredRose, No room to make homemade yogurt! I use Greek yogurt. it's thick. Feels luxurious!

Regarding the Ghee I can't remember exactly, but you do a fast before and during; and drink the ghee first thing in the morning for 4 days. You drink 2 ounces. First day you can drink 1 ounce, second day, too. Then 2 ounces. The information is in the files at The_rosacea_cure at Yahoo. All you have to do is sign up at Yahoo and do a search for the group and then look at the files. it's very easy.

Regarding vegetarianism -- maybe tofu for protein? and of course dairy, particularly the acidophilous rich choices. It really was the sugars and grains (the carbs) that fueled my rosacea. (So, no cakes! Cheating will not get you anywhere.)

Regarding the eyedrops I use the individual drops that have no preservatives. By night I use Lacri-lube, which is a thick moisturizer with which you line your inner eyelids. This is also preservative free and you need to toss the container after one month.

I ask this in this thread that is Elidel cream steroid?

sry offtopic...

Default for Rosacea

Quote Originally Posted by redredrose View Post
    Hello All,

I was just diagnosed by my derm that I have "Steroids Induced Rosacea".

I have been on Hydrocortisone, Momate and other steroids for the past 18 months.
    My Story :

I am an Asian Indian, 33yrs, fair skin, living in the United States. I react bad to Fluoride in water and so was keeping away from it in the United States by using only Distilled water.
    Lot of my friends wanted me to check with a Dermatologist as to why Fluoride did not suit me. I never honored their advice for 7 years until one day I gave in and went to a Dermatologist (pathetic day of my life). That Derm put me on Steroids for 5 months and then I had horrible skin after I quit the Steroids. I went to another Derm and he said I used a powerful steroid and he gave me Momate Cream. I had good skin for a little while and then again broke out after I quit Momate. I finally went to another Derm and gave me Hydrocortisone butyrate for 2 weeks which cleared my skin completely. After quitting the cream I broke out very bad and my derm refused to give me any more of that cream saying that I have Steroids Induced Rosacea. So for the past 2 days I am on Doxycycline 40 mg to be taken once every day in the morning with empty stomach and Finacea(azelaic acid) Gel, 15% to be applied topically once in the morning and once in the night. This gel stings
    Right now my face is terrible and I am not able to show up at work like this.
    I never had any skin problems ever since my birth and it completely sux.
    I don't see any light at the end of the tunnel. I am trying my best to control my depression and don't know what else I can do. I am hiding my face under a veil all the time and hiding from this world as much as I can
    I am praying to get well soon. Please keep me in your prayers

~ Red red Rose

Bless the Lord, O my soul, and forget not all
    his benefits: Who forgiveth all thine iniquities; who healeth all
    thy diseases.

On the similar lines of Dimples who started the thread here and also to you...I have been a sufferer of this terrible psychopatic disease as well. There is almost no blog left on internet I have not read, no point I have not noted down, no medicine I have not learned (or) come across to cure my rosacea.

BUT I DID CURE MY ROSACEA COMPLETELY !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It all started one day, my nose became red all of a sudden, turned terribly red, pores are visible. Unable to get to my derm (as appointment is due for 1 week) ran to closer-by premier urgent care. I was given a prescription of Cephalexin to use 4 pills a day (500 mg). I used them for 7 days and it brought down my redness on cheeks/nose. But I figured out it was temporary as redness was still lying inside hiding. Appointment to derm has come and I ran to him. He looked closely and diagonized me with rosacea and prescribed doxycycline and metrogel.

I had no idea of what rosacea was even when doc told me until I came back and started searching for it in internet (GHOSH !!!!) 14 million in USA are suffering. My Heart broke and I was in tears when I learnt there is NO CURE !!!!

I had to look at 4 corners of my room in silence. I couldnt face people at work, go past everyone facing my head down, eat myself alone in my cabin, escape out of office single so no body notices me.

I CAN UNDERSTAND/FEEL what it is like living with this !!! I just prayed let not this disease come to even my enemy !!

WHAT I DID FROM THERE-ON

One thing really helped me here is my ethnicity - Indian. As I was very much evident of Indian Ayurvedic basic techniques to keep good/clearer skin, I started using those regimes while on anti-biotics. Even then, I was not satisfied.

WHAT DID I USE AND STILL COULDNT GET ANY CURE
    Started Apple cider vinegar (read in internet), used Lysine tablets, used Vitamin C tablets, used Prosacea Ointment(seemed like workin but not permanent cure), used homeopathic medicines sulphur, arsenic, belladona, used Vicco turmeric ointment(Indian made), used high heated water vapour on my skin, coconut oil massage - - - - - - - -- - I FAILED INSPITE OF USING ALL THE ABOVE PROVED MEDICATIONS FOR MANY.

I DECIDED I AM DONE....TRULY ROSACEA HAS NO CURE.........I HAVE TO LIVE WITH IT. OH GOD !! WHAT A STYLE YOUR PUNISHMENT HAS......!!!! I LOVE YOU........

My son, attend to my words; incline thine
    ear unto my sayings. Let them not depart from thine eyes; keep them
    in the midst of thine heart. For they are life to those that find them,
    and health to all their flesh.

The desperation was too much inside me that I wanted to run to derm and felt like asking him please please please....prescribe accutane, isotretinoin meds...so I can come out of this worst disease a man kind can ever face !!! (inspite of the dangerous side effects it can cause like brain swelling, bone breakings, hair falling(due to dry skin), tumors ) what to do !!! no other go.........I have to !!

And one fine day I started my laptop, typed-in Rosacea in google and started searching the stuff. I bumped on interesting concept of SIBO (Small intestinal bacterial overgrowth) and its strange relation to Rosacea. Some specific medicines were prescribed for this like rixamin (or) otherwise azithromycin. In some cases roxithromycin as well. oh my god !!! how many antibiotics will my small stomach suffer with....and am not sure if they vil really cure or its again a trail with no results

I started in anti-direction......OK if SIBO caused my rosacea (nose/cheeks), first let me analyze how did SIBO came into my stomach? I started researching on my food habbits...and my head swirled like a hell !!! what have been I taking !!!!!!!

1) 5 days a week meat (processed meat available in US Stores in packets) not a freshly cut chicken that is generally sold in India
    2) Every day burgers, pizza, Coke/Sprite. Potato fries are must !!
    3) Weekends its a scotch whiskey, Potato chips, Beer Cans, irregular sleep

Instead what should have been my diet -

1) Cooked Rice, Cooked Dhal (Indian curry - with lots of turmeric, and Indian spices)
    2) Green leafy vegetables, Eggs
    3) Indian Curd
    4) Weekly twice meat is more than enough for a normal human being.....

What I did

1) Stopped eating meat completely for 30 days
    2) Heavily used Indian Curd in my diet (twice a day)
    3) Ate raw carrots, peas. Used all kind of fresh green vegetables
    4) Stopped alcohol (included beer) completely.....not even a smell of it.

The above strict regime will bring down my SIBO in about 30-45 days (count me on...not less than that duration you will notice any less SIBO) but how to cure existing rosacea on skin ????

Very Very simple -

1. I always trust clindamycin. I forcibly got prescription for Clindamycin Phostphate 1% Gel/Solution. I liberally used to apply this all over my skin before sleep where there is rosacea flare
    2. I never stopped doxycycline 100mg everyday morning for 60 days (because it vil prevent new papules/pustules)

After 7 days/nights of Clindamycin (along with 60 days of my strict diet) I saw my skin started responding. The redness started fading away which I used to notice everyday morning in mirror. The bumpy skin came down....and skin calmed down.

IT FINALLY CAME TO STAGE WHERE IF SOME SEES WILL EVER BELIEVE - DID YOU EVER HAD ROSACEA?

I now eat spicy food, burgers, meat drink alcohol....with no trace of rosacea flaring up. I remember I was in a stage where I was afraid of taking bath early morning because even water would flare up my rosacea !!!!

HOW DID IT HAPPEN

Honestly my dear friends - - - -
    1) Praise Lord - Jesus cured me
    2) He guidede me through good food habbits (as I mentioned above) and good medicines.

I will only say 1 thing - please drop accutane, please drop all your creams..........change your diet........use more Curd, green vegetables/leafs. Abstain from Meat/Milk/Alcohol for a period of 30-45 days. Please use a good antibiotic topical rather than Oral on skin like I used - Clindamycin Phosphate.

I will bet - In the name of Christ - Your Rosacea is your Past !!!!

God Bless you all !!!!

kpr,

That's good news. Please be sure to check back in a year from now to let us know if this 'cure' lasts at least a year. Sometimes rosacea comes back after a brief remission.
    Brady Barrows
    Join the RRDi