Thread: Demodex & tea tree oil treatment plan

Default Demodex & tea tree oil treatment plan

After reading research on the high inflammatory response noted in people with rosacea as possibly linked to the bacteria Bacillus oleronius found on demodex mites. (http://www.rosacea.org/rr/2010/summer/article_3.php)

I stumbled across this article in an Ophthalmology magazine. Great read I suggest reading the full article, but the jist of it, it seems this Ophthalmologist created a tea tree oil treatment plan that eradicates the demodex mite. (http://www.eyeworld.org/article.php?sid=4381)
    Dr. Safran has patients follow this protocol:
    use tea tree shampoo for the hair and eye lashes every day
    use tea tree soap or face wash every day
    women should throw out makeup and not use any new makeup for a week
    clean sheets and/or buy new pillows
    ensure the spouse is checked
    have any pets that sleep on the bed checked
    for the first few weeks, patients should use tea tree ointment at night after the shampoo scrub at home

I have also heard of washing all clothes and sheets in 10 drops of tree oil mixed with regular detergent. My face personally hates even tiny concentrations of tea tree oil, but I would be willing to put up with an angry face for awhile, if this treatment plan helped.

Quote Originally Posted by cms View Post
    After reading research on the high inflammatory response noted in people with rosacea as possibly linked to the bacteria Bacillus oleronius found on demodex mites. (http://www.rosacea.org/rr/2010/summer/article_3.php)

I stumbled across this article in an Ophthalmology magazine. Great read I suggest reading the full article, but the jist of it, it seems this Ophthalmologist created a tea tree oil treatment plan that eradicates the demodex mite. (http://www.eyeworld.org/article.php?sid=4381)
    Dr. Safran has patients follow this protocol:
    use tea tree shampoo for the hair and eye lashes every day
    use tea tree soap or face wash every day
    women should throw out makeup and not use any new makeup for a week
    clean sheets and/or buy new pillows
    ensure the spouse is checked
    have any pets that sleep on the bed checked
    for the first few weeks, patients should use tea tree ointment at night after the shampoo scrub at home

I have also heard of washing all clothes and sheets in 10 drops of tree oil mixed with regular detergent. My face personally hates even tiny concentrations of tea tree oil, but I would be willing to put up with an angry face for awhile, if this treatment plan helped.
    I posted this article in the ocular rosacea section earlier. Dr Safran actually applied his tea tree oil preparation to the eye margins of his patients. He does this 3 weeks in a row. The article doesn't state where to get the tea tree ointment for night use. However, he has an associate who is patenting this product (his name is in the article; I haven't looked him up yet). The article is in a trade magazine, so while the doctors recommend macadamia nut oil for the tea tree ointment base I don't think the implication is that anyone should go ahead and try this.
    "It's all illusion anyway."

Yes I wouldn't recommend anyone try and make their own tea tree oil macadamia nut eye treatment either, the ophthalmologist himself states he has a pharmacy mix the solutions for him but as for the hygiene recommendations, the ones I posted, this can be followed by anyone. Tea tree oil soap, shampoo and face washes can be found at local health-food or drug stores.

Quote Originally Posted by cms View Post
    Yes I wouldn't recommend anyone try and make their own tea tree oil macadamia nut eye treatment either, the ophthalmologist himself states he has a pharmacy mix the solutions for him but as for the hygiene recommendations, the ones I posted, this can be followed by anyone. Tea tree oil soap, shampoo and face washes can be found at local health-food or drug stores.
    Indeed! And I have a "hand and face" TTO liquid soap from the health food store. (Among many other weapons; I alternate with zinc soap). I wish there was an article that went more into depth. I emailed Dr S., but did not get a reply. Maybe he has enough patients. (It would be a long drive for me. And I'd phone and do it in a snap if I knew this would work. But maybe he doesn't think it's the panacea, even if I follow all the home instructions.)

For the sake of disclosure, I did try TTO with EVOO on my eyelids. It started off with a bang, but it feels the same now. I imagine Dr S uses TTO at a greater strength and really pokes the solution in there among the mites.
    "It's all illusion anyway."

So I have been halfheartedly following this treatment plan, I have been showering with paul mitchell tea tree shampoo and conditioner & about twice a week I add 10-15 drops of 100% tea tree oil to the shampoo and leave it on for 5-10 mins before rinsing it out. I have also been washing my face and eyebrows, with eczema cetaphil mixed with tea tree oil about a 20% mix once to twice a day, then applying grape seed oil mixed with tea tree oil (I would say approx a 20% tto mix again) as a moisturizer to my face and eyebrows and scalp about once to twice a day, I bought some new makeup and I haven't stopped wearing makeup for a week like instructed, but I have been keeping my makeup bag in the freezer. ( I don't know if that does anything but I thought it wouldn't hurt). On a side note I was recently diagnosed with alopecia areata and I have also been on high doses of antibiotics for duodenal ulcers/ h pylori.
    My results so far, I know the antibiotics have probably done the most good but I have been off them for about 4 days and no super flare up yet like I have been expecting. My skin looks better than it has in probably 10 years. My doctor was talking about putting me on steroids for my alopcia but my hair has started to re-grow! I haven't had a P& P since I started the treatment and my redness is now my pinkness!!! and this is just me making a few basic lifestyle changes. I am waiting till I have been off the antibiotics for about a week or two to make any definite judgments. But either way I'm not complaining!