Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shaving...

Default Shaving...

My rosacea seems to be worse if i dont shave for a few days - scruffy, goatee gets longer, etc. I seem to get more red, etc.

anyone else experience the same thing?
    Doug

Ive noticed with my own face that the longer my facial hair gets, the worse the itching is. Which is a catch 22 for me because I tend to break out with p&ps when I shave. But as far as the redness, I dont notice it getting worse when the hair gets longer. BTW, p&p is short for papules and pustules... right? This is my first posting on here and just wanna make sure I have the terminology down correctly.

Default I am with you

Staying on top of my shaving makes a big difference. I should shave every day. If I don't I see a difference. One of the only things I am sure of in regards to rosacea treatment.

Quote Originally Posted by Kirk View Post
    Ive noticed with my own face that the longer my facial hair gets, the worse the itching is. Which is a catch 22 for me because I tend to break out with p&ps when I shave. But as far as the redness, I dont notice it getting worse when the hair gets longer. BTW, p&p is short for papules and pustules... right? This is my first posting on here and just wanna make sure I have the terminology down correctly.
    Kirk, rather than rosacea getting worse after a shave, do you think you suffer from ingrown hairs? This can look just like p&p.
    "It's all illusion anyway."

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost View Post
    Kirk, rather than rosacea getting worse after a shave, do you think you suffer from ingrown hairs? This can look just like p&p.
    I do very very ocassionally get an ingrown hair on the bottom of my neck. Never on my face or cheek area. It seems like this outbreak (which is my first ever ) all started after shaving one day. Ive always been red, and suspected rosacea, but never had p&ps before until that time. Now it seems like I get them just about everytime I shave. Basically my p&ps exist due to shaving. I dont shave for 4-5 days, my skin clears up. As soon as I shave again, I look like hell again. I even bought a pretty nice electric wet/dry foil shaver to shave in the shower. I was successful for about 3 shavings, then I got irritated again. I think Im just going to grow a beard and deal with the itchiness. I orderd some ZZ cream today actually.... hopefully this will help.

I do very very ocassionally get an ingrown hair on the bottom of my neck. Never on my face or cheek area. It seems like this outbreak (which is my first ever ) all started after shaving one day. Ive always been red, and suspected rosacea, but never had p&ps before until that time. Now it seems like I get them just about everytime I shave. Basically my p&ps exist due to shaving. I dont shave for 4-5 days, my skin clears up. As soon as I shave again, I look like hell again. I even bought a pretty nice electric wet/dry foil shaver to shave in the shower. I was successful for about 3 shavings, then I got irritated again. I think Im just going to grow a beard and deal with the itchiness. I orderd some ZZ cream today actually.... hopefully this will help.
    Hope it helps. Gross as it is, sounds as if you are stirring up demodex bacteria when you shave.

Hope it helps. Gross as it is, sounds as if you are stirring up demodex bacteria when you shave.
    That was the same line of thinking I had which is why Im going to give ZZ cream a shot. Ive already tried metrocream, finacea, ketoconazole, and doxy orally. Nothing really seemed to do anything for me other than irritate my skin even more.

That was the same line of thinking I had which is why Im going to give ZZ cream a shot. Ive already tried metrocream, finacea, ketoconazole, and doxy orally. Nothing really seemed to do anything for me other than irritate my skin even more.
    Good luck. It's so much harder to deal with this if you have to shave. If you've seen some of my posts, you'll see I've been having luck with borax. Basically, I am following info at earthclinc.

I've gone through lots of meds, too. But borax is working. It began working *immediately*.

Good luck. It's so much harder to deal with this if you have to shave. If you've seen some of my posts, you'll see I've been having luck with borax. Basically, I am following info at earthclinc.

I've gone through lots of meds, too. But borax is working. It began working *immediately*.
    The description I found, "Teds Remedy" was not very clear on exactly how to use it and how long to take it. Is this something you plan on doing longterm? Or is there a treatment period? Not to sound rude, but it doesnt seem like putting a cleaning chemical / enamel on your skin sounds like the right thing to do. Can you get me a link with more info? Thanks

The description I found, "Teds Remedy" was not very clear on exactly how to use it and how long to take it. Is this something you plan on doing longterm? Or is there a treatment period? Not to sound rude, but it doesnt seem like putting a cleaning chemical / enamel on your skin sounds like the right thing to do. Can you get me a link with more info? Thanks
    That's really all the info I have. I made the solution of the borax (using borax and hydrogen peroxide from the drugstore) and a few drops of tea tree oil. I've been using it for just over one month now. I just kept putting it on my face: at night, in the morning (before rinsing it off and getting ready for the day). I also layered tea tree oil neat on my face topped with sea buckthorn topped with 20% zinc cream (i.e. diaper cream). If you browse some of my posts you'll see this is all I did. OH and I am doing low-carb. I've been doing that since April 6. And I started the borax and oils around April 24.

As I said in the previous post, I tried a lot of remedies, too (including a long chain of antibiotics and topicals). But the borax just really took off I am very happy to say.

That's all there is to it :-)