Thread: Steroid/Hydrocortisone short term, is it safe?

Exclamation Steroid/Hydrocortisone short term, is it safe?

Hey guys,

I've been experiencing quite a bad flare up over the past couple weeks and wanted to get some information about short term use of hyrdocortisone. I have an important meeting tomorrow where my confidence will be absolutely key but my skin looks terrible.

I'm considering using some over the counter hydrocortisone (0.5% I believe) to help reduce my flare temporarily. I'm aware that using steroids for long periods will do harm but my questions:

1. Is this a remotely good idea to use steroids short term to combat a bad flare up?
    2. If so, how long is safe to use and how do I taper off after that period?

Oh, i forgot, do note I have rosacea and seb derm, I believe the flare is largely seb derm related as it's dry and leathery as opposed to flushing and hot.

Quote Originally Posted by s-kid View Post
    Hey guys,

I've been experiencing quite a bad flare up over the past couple weeks and wanted to get some information about short term use of hyrdocortisone. I have an important meeting tomorrow where my confidence will be absolutely key but my skin looks terrible.

I'm considering using some over the counter hydrocortisone (0.5% I believe) to help reduce my flare temporarily. I'm aware that using steroids for long periods will do harm but my questions:

1. Is this a remotely good idea to use steroids short term to combat a bad flare up?
    2. If so, how long is safe to use and how do I taper off after that period?
    Hi s-kid,

Everyone reacts differently to setroid creams. Some can use them for a few weeks others a few days and others not at all. I can use them for a few days but must then get off them. If I stay on for more than a few days my skin gets thin and I get acne pimples. I probably use desonide a few times a year but it's always a scary situation as I know too much causes problems.

-Dave-

Default Acne Rosacea

Dave,

So the reason a person gets pimples is due too thin skin if so I must have really thin skin because neither antibiotic that were prescribed to me are working for me nor is the monocyline 100 mg. I'm have a bad flare up of pimples, do you have any suggestions...

Randy
    Last edited by rguerrero4; 9th May 2011 at 12:53 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by rguerrero4 View Post
    Dave,

So the reason a person gets pimples is due too thin skin if so I must have really thin skin because neither antibiotic that were prescribed to me are working for me nor is the monocyline 100 mg. I'm have a bad flare up of pimples, do you have any suggestions...

Randy
    Hi Randy,

No, I don't think the reason we get pimples is because of thin skin. I've just noticed that my skin gets a thin\shiny look to it if I use steroid creams. It also gets pimples if I use the steroids for too long.

-Dave-