Thread: Six Months of Honey Treatment - Need Advice!

Default Six Months of Honey Treatment - Need Advice!

Hi there!

My name is Sam and I'm a 21 year old student living in Sydney studying History and Philosophy at USYD I work at a bakery part time and am a keen snowboarder (was surfer though SD doesn't approve).

I have been monitoring these forums for around about a year now, and I must say, no one has given me so much hope as you guys and gals have. So thank you.

My conditions:
    (1) Seb Derm
    (2) Rosacea
    (3) Dry Skin
    (4) Dandruff

Current regime:
    a) Honey/Coconut treatment every other day (cleanse in between 1bd)
    b) Probiotics 1 in the morning
    c) Intesticlear - which from memory the main constituent is Pau'Darco
    d) Drink only water - no wheat/gluten/yeast/dairy/limited fruit - Eat nuts, white meat and fish/green veggies and limit sugar and carbs to that which is in my "free from" museli and almond milk breakfast. I stick pretty ardently to this

History:

Rosacea or rosey cheeks in my childhood. Slight pimples in highschool, went on some horrible topic acne meds which lead to the SD being diagnosed in 2006 (year 11).
    Was prescribed steroid based creams, mostly 1-2%. Was then put on Hydrazole cream - which I remained on for about 2 years. (If only i'd known!)...

Prolonged use lead to onset of Rosacea.

Stopped using steroid (hydrozole) around January/February 2010. Mid 2010 read Auburn's Honey/Coconut treatment and tentatively began to trial it. I was much younger and less determined. Stupidly I did not listen properly. SD fought back and so I stopped (stupidly)... for a short time used "hyrdazole". In around August/Sep/Oct 2010 (cant pinpoint) I was determined to do the honey treatment properly. Since then I have been doing the treatment every other night and cleansing once in the morning and once at night in between.

For a while it was working wonders. Seemed to clear up the derm pretty well, and for the first time in years I was getting relief!! Thanks Auburn!

I had IPL for the rosacea with a medium flareup which reduced in November 2010 and since then the combination between honey and IPL and left my skin slightely red, and fairly smooth!

HOWEVER lately, the weather has changed from summer/spring now into autumn (Australia so still warmish but rainy) and all hell has broken loose!

The honey treatment has been losing it's touch and I have been experiencing an onset of SD around the bottom of both my cheeks and a little bit on the upper top side of my right cheek.

Also it would appear that this SD is more difficult to get rid of. Darker and more leathery (dry) spots are present, than I s'pose the lighter red SD that ive experienced in the past.

It's now Friday and this must have started almost a week and a half ago... usually if any SD pops up the Honey destroys it within a few days and certainly makes it look better over night... not so with this.

Kind worried...

Any advice from you lovely ladies and gentlemen?

Kindest Regards,

Sam.

p.s I will post photos later when the redness irritation from the morning face wash (honey cleanse) calms down.

Unhappy

Just wanted to say I've experienced something like this too.

I've been using the honey + coconut oil treatment for over a month, with nothing else (though I had been using coconut oil as a moisturizer for about 6 months). I followed the guides to the letter and my skin was doing extremely well during the first two weeks but then it took a massive dive, it's worse than it's been in years - leathery dry and darker red. It's been like this for about 2-3 weeks even though I was continuing the treatment, it's been hell psychologically.

I also noted the change occured as we moved from warmer to cooler weather here in Australia.

I'm so confused because it seemed like I was getting great success with the treatment and then it seemed to stop working. I know the guide says there may be a period where the skin appears to get worse, but it's been bad for weeks. I think I will discontinue the use of raw honey.

Quote Originally Posted by Samwise View Post
    Hi there!
    A nice intro post, sorry no one has answered yet.

Against seb derm a ketoconazole soap and coconut oil as moisturizer seems to work for me quite well - the seb derm hasn't disappeared, but it is under control.

Eating a lot of green vegies, and taking a probiotic seems also to help in my case.

Have you had yet a consultation with a dermatologist?

Quote Originally Posted by GiGi. View Post
    A nice intro post, sorry no one has answered yet.

Against seb derm a ketoconazole soap and coconut oil as moisturizer seems to work for me quite well - the seb derm hasn't disappeared, but it is under control.

Eating a lot of green vegies, and taking a probiotic seems also to help in my case.

Have you had yet a consultation with a dermatologist?
    I'm very interested to hear that there's a Ketoconazole soap. I use the cream but have never heard of a soap before. Do you get this on prescription from a doctor or buy it from a chemist, or somewhere online?

Quote Originally Posted by Sally View Post
    I'm very interested to hear that there's a Ketoconazole soap. I use the cream but have never heard of a soap before. Do you get this on prescription from a doctor or buy it from a chemist, or somewhere online?
    Hi,

Yes, my derm prescribed it, but I think it is also available without a prescription at Boots. The soap costs between 4 - 8, and is called 'Nizoral', 2% shampoo, from Janssen-Cilag.

With a little bit of water you create a foam and then apply it on your face, leave it for 2 minutes and then rinse it off.
    Last edited by GiGi.; 8th May 2011 at 12:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by GiGi. View Post
    Hi,

Yes, my derm prescribed it, but I think it is also available without a prescription at Boots. The soap costs between 4 - 8, and is called 'Nizoral', 2% shampoo, from Janssen-Cilag.

With a little bit of water you create a foam and then apply it on your face, leave it for 2 minutes and then rinse it off.
    Ah, yes, I know this shampoo. I looked up 'Ketoconazole soap' on the internet and found something that looked like a bar of (blue) soap. Never seen that before. I think I will stick with the Nizoral cream and shampoo.

Many thanks.