Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Options for treatment of burning sensations: is there a natural treatment?

Default Options for treatment of burning sensations: is there a natural treatment?

I have been experiencing an increase in burning sensations recently. For the last month, my chin has started burning and also both cheeks now, plus the last week my forehead.

As mentioned many times on threads related to burning sensations, it is often seemingly not trigger related nor am I red. The burning can last for hours, days even.

I have looked through many threads on this forum and found many possible treatment options, most are pharmaceutical and I wanted to avoid this if possible, although I must admit, the burning has been so frustrating that I was ready to get prescribed some Clonidine until I read a couple of rosaceans who have had bad experiences from it.

Here is the list of possible medications/treatment options I found. They range from anti-depressants to blood pressure medications, NSAIDs and laser treatments.

• 1064 YAG laser
    • Diclofenac
    • Voltaren
    • Clonidine
    • Remeron
    • Propranolol
    • Cymbalta
    • Moxonodine
    • Mepacrine
    • Plaquenil
    • Low dose accutane
    • Clarithromycin
    • Metformin
    • Mirtazapine
    • Xyzal

The list is quite long! Although primarily I am after a natural treatment, I wonder, which of these offers the greatest relief with the least amount of side effects long term?

I realise this in itself is a difficult question as everyone is different, but any insight would be useful.

Here are the only natural treatments I have found.

• Zinc sunscreen
    • Aloe Vera
    • Vitamin D supplements
    • Zinc
    • Borax
    • RLT

The only thing I haven't tried is Aloe Vera or Borax (if you can call that natural).

There must be more options??

I must admit I was hoping to understand what made the pharmaceutical drugs work against burning and then run an internet search for alternatives. For example, some medications work as an anticholinergic - maybe there is a natural treatment that works in a similar way? So far, I haven't been very successful...

One last question, there hasn't been much discussed about why the burning happens. A lower level flush, hypersensitivity and inflammation have been sighted as causes for this burning - but why can I flush and not burn and vice versa - you would think a flush would cause inflammation and thus the burning sensation, but it doesn't!

PS - I know this doesn't sit nicely in this section but it doesn't in the prescription thread either.

I often chat to Paul Jaminet as we continue to fight our health issues. One topic which frequently arises is my difficulty with omega 3's. He recently posted a blog entry about the detrimental effects of too many Omega 3's and I thought you might be interested.
    Especially in light of your recent deterioration.

http://perfecthealthdiet.com/?p=3287
    Previous Numerous IPL.
    Supplements: Niacinamide, Vit K2, low D3, Vit A. Moderate Dose Vit C, Iodine, Taurine, Magnesium. Very low dose B's. Low dose zinc (to correct deficiency).
    Skin Care: No Cleanser, ZZ cream mixed with Niacinamide gel 4% and LMW HA 2%, ethyl ascorbate 2%.

Treating for gut dysbiosis.(This is helping).
    Previous GAPS diet. Have now introduced lots of fibre.
    Fermented Foods. Intermittent fasting -16-18 hours.
    Oral Colostrum. Helps reduce food reactions.

Interesting. But doesn't explain what is an excessive dose of omega 3. I have actually halted by intake of supplements and added more oily fish into my diet so don't think it's that but worth bearing in mind, thank you.

Hi FAW,
    I'm sorry you are experiencing an increase in your burning symptoms. I know you mentioned RLT and that is the one treatment that really helped me re burning when I was dealing with flares. I haven't read your posts on your RLT experience but if you have not already done so I suggest using the red light in conjunction with your burning at a few minutes at a time and see if it helps decrease your burning sensation.

With regards to why our face has the burning sensation I understand it is related to the blood flow irritating our blood vessels when it rushes into them during a flush. Why you may be experiencing it independent of a flush could be due to the vessels/nerves already being irritated from past flush reactions.

Best,
    Melissa

we're all different, of course, but for what it's worth: i started having serious burning sensations when i was taking increased doses of vitamin C. it subsided when i eliminated the supplemental C and went back to just what i get from my normal diet.

Quote Originally Posted by Melissa W View Post
    Hi FAW,
    I'm sorry you are experiencing an increase in your burning symptoms. I know you mentioned RLT and that is the one treatment that really helped me re burning when I was dealing with flares. I haven't read your posts on your RLT experience but if you have not already done so I suggest using the red light in conjunction with your burning at a few minutes at a time and see if it helps decrease your burning sensation.

With regards to why our face has the burning sensation I understand it is related to the blood flow irritating our blood vessels when it rushes into them during a flush. Why you may be experiencing it independent of a flush could be due to the vessels/nerves already being irritated from past flush reactions.

Best,
    Melissa
    Thanks Melissa.

I was seeing improvements. It all went wrong when I decided to add a mix of grapeseed oil, sea bucktorn oil and what I think was the killer - lavender oil. Thats when the burning sensations really started up again, spread and haven't subsided yet.

I will try your technique with the RLT to see if it works

The rosacea has also changed. Two very red dots appeared a couple of weeks ago and have gradually got worse (redder and bigger). Mostly worse after a shower even with tepid water. I decided to put some Aloe99 at Peters suggestion - unfortunately they have become 3 red dots and one is significantly bigger.

What could these be do you think?

Quote Originally Posted by dora View Post
    we're all different, of course, but for what it's worth: i started having serious burning sensations when i was taking increased doses of vitamin C. it subsided when i eliminated the supplemental C and went back to just what i get from my normal diet.
    Thanks Dora. I read this before (possible your post) and cut it out about a month ago. No noticeable improvement. I haven't managed to relate anything to the burning - no triggers. Actually that is a lie. I was getting them when I drank alcohol, but that doesn't happen anymore - go figure!

Hi,

I'd love to have a good solution to this problem too. It's very frustrating and I'd prefer a natural, non-medical way of handeling it.

I'm sceptic to all the medication people suggest, which is actually anti-depressing tablets...what happens when you quit?

Quote Originally Posted by SalsaNorway View Post
    Hi,

I'd love to have a good solution to this problem too. It's very frustrating and I'd prefer a natural, non-medical way of handeling it.

I'm sceptic to all the medication people suggest, which is actually anti-depressing tablets...what happens when you quit?
    You become very depressed. Only joking. I'm like you and want to look at alternatives, but I'm not point blank against pharmaceuticals - they have their place and many find relief from using them.

However, I think nature holds a lot of answers too. They may take longer, but could work equally as well and as there are less variables, you ate less prone to side effects. Drugs are usually very complicated mixes.

Using grapeseed oil and sea buckthorn has at least sorted out my dry eye symptoms!

The rosacea has also changed. Two very red dots appeared a couple of weeks ago and have gradually got worse (redder and bigger). Mostly worse after a shower even with tepid water. I decided to put some Aloe99 at Peters suggestion - unfortunately they have become 3 red dots and one is significantly bigger.

What could these be do you think?
    I don't know but you could be sensitive to the aloe. I know I am and I cannot use it on my face or body as I develop an eczema reaction. Could the red dots be papules?

Quote Originally Posted by Melissa W View Post
    I don't know but you could be sensitive to the aloe. I know I am and I cannot use it on my face or body as I develop an eczema reaction. Could the red dots be papules?
    It could be th aloe (or one of the other ingredients - I see it has lavender in it). It certainly didn't help the redness, but did subside after a while.

Touch wood the burning has subsided since I did a close long session with the RLT yesterday. Although I did keep hearing the comment 'been out in the sun?' - to me I looked normal, but I guessed I'm used to the new normal for me :/

The red dots...they are not raised and can fade. Right now they are nearly visible, but once I get out the shower, they will be much redder for most of the day. Maybe it's just where the blood vessels have expanded so many times it appears redder. It is where the rosacea started a year ago.

I guess the only way to fix that is laser or IPL?