Thread: Paradox? Exercise is good for rosaceans, but causes a flare...

Default Paradox? Exercise is good for rosaceans, but causes a flare...

I can't work this one out. I need to get in shape, so I have brought a bike. I read somewhere that exercise is good for rosaceans as it helps the body detoxify. I have no idea if this is true!?

So I go on a little bike ride and to be fair, it's windy, but I look in my trusty (but one day want to burn) pocket mirror and see I am RED! Red, red, red. When I finally get home I'm not as red as I looked out - better lighting conditions in the bathroom, but I'm still flushed.

I plan to bike everyday and wonder if this constant flushing is going to worsen my condition. I did read (from the same source) that getting a bit red will happen to start, but over time the flushes will become less.

So having just spent a small fortune on a bike (I know what your thinking, but just want to do the things my mates do) I am left feeling a little sad and confused... :/

Biking is a pretty hard thing for us rosaceans to do purely because of the wind factor. High speed winds give quite a bit of wind burn to even non rosaceans. Then if it's cold outside you'll also get a huge warm room flush when you come inside.

As far as a fix goes..you could always wear a skii mask! Hah. That would look odd but is really the only thing you can do. Wind in your face is a natural part of bike riding and as such isn't something rosaceans will be able to do without getting red. It may get better over time though!

Rand is right about the face mask.
    I cycle long distances and in the beginning the wind burn was a challenge but I finally reached the right combo for me and in cooler windy weather I do wear a face mask made specifically for protecting your face from the wind. It is amazing and has allowed me to continue my long distance cycling in all sorts of weather. I am no longer self conscious about it at all as you see people in all sorts of get ups when cycling/running and no one even gives me a second glance. I highly recommend it. Enjoy your new bike!

And remember, it is OK to be flushed a bit after physical activity!

Well, I recently bought a hometrainer.
    It allows me to exercise indoors so no bad weatherconditions (and people watching) there.
    Every 10 minutes I take a short break to let my heart (and head) calm down and drink some cool water.
    And I must admit I experience improvement! The more I exercise, the longer I'm able keeping my head cool (probably it has also something to do with an improving condition?) !
    I even perceive a little difference while biking outside now! Ofcourse there's always the weather we cannot do anything about...
    But, as Melissa says, it is not only rosacea-people looking red after physical activity, it's a symptom a lot of people are having!
    Good luck with your new bike!

Thank you for all your support and I'm glad you've found a routine that works for you!

Just had my hoped dashed yesterday, but as you have all proved, where there is a will there is a way!!

A question though, is an exercise flush not as bad as another trigger?

findingaway: I was doing P90X for about a month, and at the beginning I didn't know when to let my body take a break and I had a few severe flushes from that (mostly from cardio). I've stopped now that I'm doing the pulse test (exercise would be a confound in my experiment), but I do plan on picking it up again in the future. I've come up with a few ways to keep myself from flushing badly, but I always do seem to get at least somewhat redder no matter what. It IS frustrating, but I don't really think I'd be happier with an unhealthy body either...
    Current skincare regime for rosacea subtypes I, II and IV started March, 2012:

*Strict diet. No dairy, wheat, sugar, nuts/seeds, legumes. Only meat, 'safe starches', and low-phenol starchy/unstarchy fruits and veggies and water with ghee, lard and duck fat as cooking aids and sources of fat. Also avoiding food intolerances.
    Supplementing with raw food multivitamin, liquid zinc sulfate with copper, epsom salt baths (magnesium sulfate), calcium and vitamin C. Lots of water!

Quote Originally Posted by christine123 View Post
    findingaway: I was doing P90X for about a month, and at the beginning I didn't know when to let my body take a break and I had a few severe flushes from that (mostly from cardio). I've stopped now that I'm doing the pulse test (exercise would be a confound in my experiment), but I do plan on picking it up again in the future. I've come up with a few ways to keep myself from flushing badly, but I always do seem to get at least somewhat redder no matter what. It IS frustrating, but I don't really think I'd be happier with an unhealthy body either...
    Thanks Christine.

I think I might have picked the hardest exercise NOT to badly flush too :/ very frustrating.

I am half tempted to take the bike back, but I don't like to think it has 'beaten' me!

Exercise is great for your health, and I'll only stop doing it when I'm dead. Whether it can improve your rosacea is debatable. Maybe it does for some people, but I know that if I need to be 100% sure that I'm not flushy for some event, I stop all cardio for 3-4 days prior. And I do very little cardio - enough to get my heart rate up for 15-20 minutes 2-3 times/week, and I never get to the point where I flush while doing it. Still, even that has a negative effect on my rosacea if I'm not careful with diet.

An exercise flush can be worse than other triggers if the flush is intense and long - like with cardio done in a warm gym with stagnant air. The effects of something like that can make you flushy for days afterward, and if you do it every day, you'll never see improvement.

1,000mg Solgar MSM
    25mg diphenhydramine
    Rosacea Care moisturizer, tinted ZincO
    I avoid multi-vitamins and most other high-dose vitamins and supplements, oil-based supplements (like omega 3/6, A, and E), nitrite preservatives, sugar, fruit, milk, exercising in a warm room

Less is more!

Thanks for your input driven.

I have now brought a half ski mask for not so pleasant days. My forehead doesn't get red, so I think this will do.

Very pleased. Since this routine if TTO and SBO, plus higher dose RLT, things have been better.

No constant burning and less flushing. Even managed to go on a bike ride on a windy day without flaring.

Let's hope it continues.