Thread: Starting Honey Treatment - A few questions

Default Starting Honey Treatment - A few questions

Hi all.
    I've suffered from SD for 15 years and rosacea for 5 years. I firmly believe the cause of both conditions to be the same, so it makes sense to tackle SD first.
    I've tried everything for SD with no long-term solution. Honey is the only thing I haven't tried, so I've just bought myself some manuka honey.

Before I begin treatment, I'd very much appreciate your thoughts on the following:

1) What's the general consensus on honey? Does it give positive results for most? Or is it like other SD treatments and give results at both ends of the spectrum?

2) I don't know if this happens to other SD sufferers, but if I don't dry my face and scalp within a few seconds, I get a SD breakout. I even have to dry inside my nose after face washing. I know the honey treatment requires it to be mixed with water. Will the water that's in the mix cause an SD flare like 100% water does?

3) As honey is sugar, will this affect my rosacea or even SD? I know demodex mites like sugar as does yeast, so I'm surprised honey doesn't make things worse.

4) from what I've read, the treatment can make things worse initially. How long are we talking? Days? Weeks? Months?

5) would it be wise to do a test patch first? Just in case there is a bad reaction?
    Will localised benefits be seen if used on a small area or does the whole face and scalp need to be treated to see any improvement?

Once again, thanks for any thoughts you can offer. I really hope this could work for me.

Patch test honey, you can become allergic to the propolis. i did.
    Dx July 2010 rosacea type 1 and 2/seb derm plus contact allergies to various substances
    Hashimoto's thyroiditis, fibromyalgia

Hi Vicki,

Thanks for your reply.
    How will I know if its a reaction or just the initial flare up that others have reported?