Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Advice from my eye doctor about Omega 3s

Default Advice from my eye doctor about Omega 3s

A little history first: I've had mild rosacea for a long time. Last year it got way worse and that's when the seb derm came too. I've been using raw honey to cleanse my face, but I can't put anything on afterward because I break out and/or it makes the seb derm worse. The raw honey was working at first, but now it doesn't do anything much for my problems, but it's the only thing I can cleanse my face with that doesn't make it worse. I've never been to a dermatologist. I was too scared to go after all the horror stories I've heard.

So, anyway, I went to my eye doctor last Friday. He was concerned with my rosacea because he feared that it could eventually turn into ocular rosacea. He told me that people who suffer from rosacea develop a thicker sebum which can also cause seb derm as a result. So he tested my eyes for this thicker sebum output and found that I was still okay in that area. He then asked me if I was taking Omega 3s. I told him that I was. He then asked how much and said that the recommended consumption of Omega 3s is 1000 mg/day, but that's not nearly enough for what I needed it to do. He told me to up my intake to 2000 - 3000 mg/day. So I've been doing that (and more) for the past 5 days and the results have been phenomenal! My rosacea is calming down and the resulting seb derm is clearing as well! My skin is looking radiant and nourished for the first time in SO long! Now I look forward to getting up and looking in the mirror in the morning because every day brings new improvement.

I believe that because of the high dosage of Omega 3s, that healthy oil is now getting into my pores and taking over where this thicker, unhealthy sebum has been doing its damage. I take Shaklee's Omega Guard. To get the required Omega 3s from that, I take 10 or more capsules/day. I also take other Shaklee Food Supplements, including Optiflora (a pre/pro biotic system) and eat a very healthy diet. I was just lacking in the amount of Omega 3s that my body needs to function properly. I also noticed the post here about the anti-inflammatory diet and should mention here that Omega 3s are a huge, huge factor in the area of anti-inflmmatories. With my upped intake of Omega 3s, I've been noticing improvements in other areas of my body as well - like stiff joints. It's awesome stuff!

Best of luck to all who have suffered as I.
    Last edited by Anonymous; 24th August 2011 at 04:06 PM. Reason: added information

Just wanted to add that after I wrote the above post, I decided to go all raw and have been so for one week now (and still keeping up on my Omega 3s). I also eat a lot of raw, extra virgin, cold pressed coconut oil ("Artisana" brand was recommended to me as being one of the best brands). I can't put it on my skin because it makes me break out, but I sure can eat it! I believe that getting good stuff into my pores from the inside out is the way to go for me. But the biggy here is the 100% raw vegan diet. I was seeing wonderful results before with just the upped Omega 3s, but now the healing is picking up even more! In the past, after removing the seb derm flakes, they'd be back in a couple of days and my face would feel flaky, itchy and leathery to the touch. But now it's not growing back and my face is feeling soft and smooth when I touch it. It always surprises me now when I gently run my fingers over my face to feel soft, smooth skin rather than rough, flaky, leathery skin. My body is really cleaning out and the evidence is showing on my face. I also have more energy, am sleeping better, and just all-around feeling happier as a result. The redness from the rosacea is calming down, too.

Thanks for the update!
    And congrats for the progress!
    Cindy

Update: I just recently added lots of raw garlic to my diet and, while still eating all raw, have incorporated more of the anti-candida diet to my lifestyle. I have suffered from systemic candida for years and years. I believe that what's going on on my face is the candida rearing its ugly head in yet another place. While I was seeing great results before, it has become even better now in just a few days! I can actually feel my face healing. The best way to describe it is that it feels like it's alive and breathing again. I can feel it rejuvinating. (It's almost a foreign feeling to me because I haven't felt that in a very long time!) So, for me, it's really about what's going on on the inside. No matter what I did on the outside, it never had lasting results. Sure this takes more time and effort than just washing with something or putting on a cream or something like that, but the results are very much worth it and it keeps me motivated to keep doing what I'm doing. How could I possibly stop now when I'm finally seeing some real progress? For me, this seems to be the answer. I'm also seeing results in other candida areas of my body.

Default what brand of omega 3?

Hi anonymous! Congrats. I love reading good news. Which brand of Omega 3 do you take? Thanks.
    "It's all illusion anyway."

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost View Post
    Hi anonymous! Congrats. I love reading good news. Which brand of Omega 3 do you take? Thanks.
    I use Shaklee's Omega Guard and also Udo's Oil ... plus I try to eat a lot of foods high in Omega 3s.

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymous View Post
    I use Shaklee's Omega Guard and also Udo's Oil ... plus I try to eat a lot of foods high in Omega 3s.
    "It's all illusion anyway."

Nice! I will up my dosage of Omegas too. I've been wanting to for a while. I wouldn't draw too many conclusions from why the diet keeps it under control, though. The candida link has yet to be proven; although, it may well be part of the problem. In the end, it's too complicated to figure out without the proper equipment/training. Just note what feels right and stick with it.

I was curious as to the why behind my skin finally clearing up. I noticed a big difference by upping my Omega 3s, but the biggest change came shortly after I started eating an all raw vegan diet. Come to find out, when you're eating all raw, you're naturally getting more alkalizing foods rather than acidic. Candida, parasites and other nasties thrive in an acidic environment but not an alkaline one. Proper balance says we need some acid forming foods, but with the standard American diet such as it is, most get too much acid and not enough alkaline. Basically, we want to be more on the alkaline side rather than the acid for good overall health. Bodies get sick when an overly acidic environment exists inside, but not when it's more on the alkaline side. If anyone is interested in this, you can do some research into acidic vs. alkaline foods. I cannot believe the change that's happened in just a matter of a couple of weeks on my face. My family comments on it all the time, too. It's wonderful!

Default Questions???

I was wondering if you had seb derm on the face prior to going on the all vegan diet?
    How is the diet working for you?
    Are you eating pasta?
    Are you eating rice?
    Are you having any kind of milk (almond, soy, rice etc)
    Are you eating any processes cereals or food?

Thank you so much!!