Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Having problem finding right antifungal supplement

Default Having problem finding right antifungal supplement

I was hoping someone could help. I'm having a hard time finding the right antifungal. Both oil of oregano and olive leaf give me huge acid reflux (it's a side effect), grapefruit seed extract didn't help, a supplement called CandidaStop I took for two bottles and no help, plus the oregano hurt me.
    Went to the store and the other mixtures had bag rosacea ingredients like cinammon or oregano which again causes bad acid reflux.

Any recommendations for a supplement or single anti fungal herb?

I've also been drinking/doing compresses of calendula and camomile tea.

If the goal is to control candida, this can only be done by building the flora.

I take probiotics

Quote Originally Posted by snuffleupagus View Post
    I take probiotics
    You need to eat fermented foods on a daily basis and feed the bacterias with prebiotics.
    Probiotics alone could not be enough.
    Are you sure candida is your problem? Did you run any stool tests?
    How do you know you need to get rid of fungi?

Snuffle,
    How about Nystatin or Diflucan? The Nystatin pills are better, the liquid has sugar.

MasK has a point--how do you know you have it? Then again, seb derm is caused by yeast. Don't know enough to comment--my seb derm did improve on Nystatin though.

Re:oil of oregano, did you take it with food? You have to to prevent irritation. Also, 1 small drop in like 1 cup of water, so if you have two drops you need two cups plus more to wash the taste out. The sh$&t is strong!

MasK, what prebiotics are best? I cannot eat dairy and wheat. Do you have links to how to make prebiotics? Thanks.
    Dx July 2010 rosacea type 1 and 2/seb derm plus contact allergies to various substances
    Hashimoto's thyroiditis, fibromyalgia

Also, I'm not sure I understand about prebiotics. I thought we were supposed to AVOID fermented and picked foods--vinegar kills me, except acv. Haven't tried soy sauce in a year....have this Bragg's Liquid Aminos stuff and no idea what to do with it.

Snuffle, let me know if you were taking the oil of oregano with food and tons of water--I have acid reflux and history of gastritis (I used to take omeprazole daily) and the o of o was ok for me when diluted. Also, do you take digestive enzymes? Those helped my reflux--no omeprazole since last March and I took it for like four years. I was afraid I had SIBO because I read somewhere that omeprazole can contribute to it, but I got the SIBO test and it was negative. Btw, what no one tells you here is that the test is FOUR HOURS.
    Dx July 2010 rosacea type 1 and 2/seb derm plus contact allergies to various substances

Yeah 2 naturopaths said I have Candida

I was taking Oil of Oregano pills, so no way to dilute it! With food, but still major reflux! Same with olive leaf!

Well i just bought Black Walnut pills, so i'll give those a try! heard good things!

Yeah had the SIBO test done twice before...weird thing is this time it came out negative!! And mine was like 3 hours, i think?

I am also confused about the fermented foods....

Oh wow, I didn't know about black walnut. I have heard that caprylic acid, pau d'arco, pantethine, goldenseal and garlic are good if you don't want to do Nystatin or Diflucan. Garlic would probably not be great for reflux, I'm guessing...when my gastritits was bad I couldn't eat it at all.

I am also taking olive leaf extract from Douglas labs, it is powder in a capsule. No stomach probs yet, hopefully it will stay that way.

Snuffle, I forgot, did you mention Lyme disease in another post, or was it someone else? I ask because a friend has Lyme, rosacea, multiple chemical sensitivities and CFIDS.

Do you have seb derm and rosacea or seb derm without rosacea?

And the really important question--was Snuffleupagus the one that only Big Bird could see? Having Muppet mix-up...I could Google, but I am using a tablet and I would have to retype this if I switch to Google.

Happy Thanksgiving, unless you are in a country which doesn't celebrate Thanksgiving, in which case you're lucky--sugar, carbs and food triggers galore, plus annoying relatives....

The two naturopaths, did they run any test? Just saying you have candida is maybe not the best diagnostic.
    Avoiding fermented foods does not make sense, since beneficial gut flora is what keep pathogens (like the fungal form of candida albicans) in check.
    So eating fermented foods (vinegar and soy sauce are not what I'm speaking about) is of a paramount importance when you try to build the flora.
    They contain trillions of beneficial bacterias. Home-made kefir (you can make it with all non-dairy milks, especially soy, or the water kefir is also great, both with fresh grains), home-made yogurt (again non dairy milks, made with probiotic capsules, then in the yogurt maker for 24hours), raw saurekraut, kimchi, tempeh, miso, fermented vegetables,...
    Then you need to feed all this people with prebiotics; oat or rice bran (NOW Foods brand is great and cheap, keep them in fridge), and also FOS or Inulin.

Omeprazole is a direct cause of SIBO and other digestive issues, or even rosacea, because no stomach acid means : bad digestion, nutritional deficiencies, allowing pathogens to enter the gut, lack of B12, and acid reflux due to the fermentation of the food in the stomach, producing gas that will burn the oesophagus. So taking omeprazole can cause a lot of problems that does not seem to come directly from the stomach. It will also impair the immune system (dysbiosis causing gut mucosa inflammation, the biggest part of the immune system).

Oil of oregano must be avoided, as it kills gut flora. So you are making things worse by taking antibacterial oils like this. Yeasts are controlled by acidity (lactic acid,...) produced by a flora in good shape. Same on the skin, where the pH is acidic (around 6) to control pathogens.

Hi MasK and Snuffle,
    A few questions: I have been taking the oil if oregano a few hours away from the probiotics, will it still kill them all?

Same with the low dose doxy (20 mg), I take that in morning and probiotics at night.

What is the best kefir for a person with wheat, dairy and soy sensitivities? Also, we don't really have yogurt makers where I live and my kitchen is tiny-is there another way to make this stuff?

Also re :kimchi and sauerkraut, I would think these would be triggers. I love kimchi and ate it all the time before rosacea, but it is so spicy-lots of chilis, etc.

How about kombucha?

Merci beaucoup!
    Vicki