Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: No topicals, no make-up, no washing, no water for 6 days.

Default No topicals, no make-up, no washing, no water for 6 days.

So I've been researching the physiology of skin and came across an interesting study, regarding how long it took for complete normalization of barrier function after irritating the statum cornuem (the tiny outer-most layer of skin), by a number of different means. The study showed that complete normalization of barrier function required 5-6 days. Now thinking how small the stratum corneum is & how easily it can become irritated. With all my daily face routines ( topicals, make-up, gentle cleansing) I'm probably irritating my stratum at the very least twice a day & have been for years. So this is just a theory but according to to my understanding this barrier helps keep irritating pathogens out & by keeping pathogens out help decrease immune response. ....Redness, P&P's. So I think I may embark on a six day journey, no water, no cleansing, no make up, no topicals basically nothing touching my face for six days & changing my pillow case every night. I'll keep you posted and feel free to join me on my journey!!!

Good luck! My skin is at it's calmest when I use nothing on it, just wash it with very soft bottled water and organic cotton pads in the evening.
    When there are dry patches, I occasionally use diluted jojoba oil (little bit oil on the fingers and then bottled water over it untill it is lightly oily still).
    Curious how your skin will react,

best wishes Natalja

Please let me know how this works out for you. I will try the same if you find it helps.
    xx

For many years all I did was wash my face twice a day with tepid water and it worked well for me. As I have gotten older I have added in a light moisturiser but only use it in the day. I hope things go well for you.

Please let us know how it works out. To date I have not found anything I can use on my face besides raw honey masks and gentle washing off afterward by splashing face with water. Anything else is hugely irritating for me.
    Current skincare regime for rosacea subtypes I, II and IV started March, 2012:

*Strict diet. No dairy, wheat, sugar, nuts/seeds, legumes. Only meat, 'safe starches', and low-phenol starchy/unstarchy fruits and veggies and water with ghee, lard and duck fat as cooking aids and sources of fat. Also avoiding food intolerances.
    Supplementing with raw food multivitamin, liquid zinc sulfate with copper, epsom salt baths (magnesium sulfate), calcium and vitamin C. Lots of water!

So two days in I realized I would have to head back to work and face the social world. My face was a mess, extremely red and surprisingly oily (my skin is usually very dry) all I wanted to do was wash my face and throw on some concealer. Very few people know how bad my skin is. I chickened out. I am going to try this when I can take a week off from society. If anyone here is brave enough to try I would be very interested, on what results you find, if any.

I do not wash nor moisture my skin for months.
    The texture improved a lot, as the sensitivity, but the redness is still there, although I rarely have some pimples, which are itching.
    I now use a cream (free of parabens and other chemicals), prescribed by my derm, which is made to repaird the barrier. It's for atopic eczema, but is not working on the eczema, but rather on the hability of the skin to defend itself.

Quote Originally Posted by MasK View Post
    I now use a cream (free of parabens and other chemicals), prescribed by my derm, which is made to repaird the barrier.
    Hi,

What's the name of this cream?

Bests,

Quote Originally Posted by GiGi. View Post
    Hi,

What's the name of this cream?

Bests,
    Dermalex Atopic Eczema.
    But I'm afraid it's only available in Europe.
    She also prescribed me Physiogel from Stiefel (same purpose), which is maybe available in the US.

How do you all cope without sunscreen? I can't tolerate makeup but i am afraid to not use sunscreen at all, even for six days.
    Dx July 2010 rosacea type 1 and 2/seb derm plus contact allergies to various substances
    Hashimoto's thyroiditis, fibromyalgia