Thread: Beauty get you the most. An annoying article found @ MSNBC

Angry Beauty get you the most. An annoying article found @ MSNBC

News flash: Attractive people are happier. (msnbc, April 5, 2010)

And it all boils down to simple economics, say researchers who get paid to study such things.

If you've been blessed with good looks, you're more likely to be blessed with a bigger bank account, according to new research by economists at The University of Texas at Austin, who've made a career out of examining the interplay of looks, success and money.

"Personal beauty raises happiness," said Daniel Hamermesh, a Texas professor who co-authored the study (.pdf file) with Jason Abrevaya. "The majority of beauty's effect on happiness works through its impact on economic outcomes."

In previous research, Hamermesh has established that beautiful people earn more money and marry better-looking and higher-earning spouses than their plain-Jane counterparts.

The study suggests these indirect economic benefits account for nearly half of the additional happiness that good-looking folks report. Women are more likely than men report that their happiness is more directly affected by beauty than men.

"For men, almost all the effect is indirect through beauty raising their earnings, the kind of spouse they can get, their ease of getting loans, etc." Hamermesh said. "For women, however, those indirect effects account for only half the impact of beauty on happiness. The other half is direct. ... Better-looking women just feel happier."

To reach their conclusions, the economists reviewed five large international studies involving nearly 25,000 participants. To quantify beauty, interviewers rated the participants' attractiveness using set guidelines or evaluated their beauty from pictures.
    "It's all illusion anyway."

Default Not Surprised!

Having been denied jobs and discriminated against in other ways because of my looks this article is, unfortunately, not shocking. Happiness is possible without beauty, you just have to work harder and be more intentional about it. And, although I can't prove it, I think you can find longer lasting happiness when it isn't based on beauty.

Quote Originally Posted by HollyJ View Post
    Having been denied jobs and discriminated against in other ways because of my looks this article is, unfortunately, not shocking. Happiness is possible without beauty, you just have to work harder and be more intentional about it. And, although I can't prove it, I think you can find longer lasting happiness when it isn't based on beauty.
    I agree with you, mostly, Holly. But when you feel crippled with rosacea and saddled with blushing it changes everything. :-(((((((( See the other article I found today!

Angry Re: Beauty gets you rewards

Yes,
    I have found that unfortunately, it is true.

I have had at least 2 or 3 friends who, while their facial features could put them in a Victoria's Secret Catalog or Miss Universe contest, their disfiguring acne diminished the overall effect. You do see more individuals with beautiful facial features and bad to average skin, than you do those with perfect skin and average to pretty features.

Not too many people can go their whole lives without ANY skin disorder, apparently!

Quote Originally Posted by Jasmine 215 View Post
    Yes,
    I have found that unfortunately, it is true.

I have had at least 2 or 3 friends who, while their facial features could put them in a Victoria's Secret Catalog or Miss Universe contest, their disfiguring acne diminished the overall effect. You do see more individuals with beautiful facial features and bad to average skin, than you do those with perfect skin and average to pretty features.

Not too many people can go their whole lives without ANY skin disorder, apparently!
    That's weird, besides teenagers, pretty much everyone I see has great skin. I know some people who have skin problems but they normally don't take away much from their looks because they are things that are easily treated or don't show up on the face.

Quote Originally Posted by zeckk View Post
    That's weird, besides teenagers, pretty much everyone I see has great skin. I know some people who have skin problems but they normally don't take away much from their looks because they are things that are easily treated or don't show up on the face.
    Yeah that is very true, even people with very poor diet + no excersise + overweight seems to have very good skin compared to those with skin disorders such as rosacea/seb derm.

heck, even those with Lupus tend to have nice skin when they're not having a flare/avoiding sun

Default Dirty Girl

I guess one of the worst things is some people (many, in fact) who have effortless skin believe that you, with facial eruptions, subscribe to poor personal hygiene.

In H.S. I was the only kid in biology whose petri dish remained completely clear (we were supposed to put our fingers on it). Of course the teacher came out with a concerned look on her face with "I don't know why yours has nothing on it..." as if I'd done it wrong. I didn't! But my hands were that germ free from the cleansers and meds I'd been piling on my face.

Default Re: Lupus and how it affects skin

Quote Originally Posted by Mogge View Post
    Yeah that is very true, even people with very poor diet + no excersise + overweight seems to have very good skin compared to those with skin disorders such as rosacea/seb derm.

heck, even those with Lupus tend to have nice skin when they're not having a flare/avoiding sun
    Lupus can REALLY, REALLY, disfigure your skin!

https://rosaceagroup.org/The_Rosacea...ies/crying.gif