Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: Beauty get you the most. An annoying article found @ MSNBC

  1. #1
    Senior Member Ghost's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    2,033

    Angry Beauty get you the most. An annoying article found @ MSNBC

    News flash: Attractive people are happier. (msnbc, April 5, 2010)

    And it all boils down to simple economics, say researchers who get paid to study such things.

    If you've been blessed with good looks, you're more likely to be blessed with a bigger bank account, according to new research by economists at The University of Texas at Austin, who've made a career out of examining the interplay of looks, success and money.

    "Personal beauty raises happiness," said Daniel Hamermesh, a Texas professor who co-authored the study (.pdf file) with Jason Abrevaya. "The majority of beauty's effect on happiness works through its impact on economic outcomes."

    In previous research, Hamermesh has established that beautiful people earn more money and marry better-looking and higher-earning spouses than their plain-Jane counterparts.

    The study suggests these indirect economic benefits account for nearly half of the additional happiness that good-looking folks report. Women are more likely than men report that their happiness is more directly affected by beauty than men.

    "For men, almost all the effect is indirect through beauty raising their earnings, the kind of spouse they can get, their ease of getting loans, etc." Hamermesh said. "For women, however, those indirect effects account for only half the impact of beauty on happiness. The other half is direct. ... Better-looking women just feel happier."

    To reach their conclusions, the economists reviewed five large international studies involving nearly 25,000 participants. To quantify beauty, interviewers rated the participants' attractiveness using set guidelines or evaluated their beauty from pictures.
    "It's all illusion anyway."

  2. #2
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    9

    Default Not Surprised!

    Having been denied jobs and discriminated against in other ways because of my looks this article is, unfortunately, not shocking. Happiness is possible without beauty, you just have to work harder and be more intentional about it. And, although I can't prove it, I think you can find longer lasting happiness when it isn't based on beauty.

  3. #3
    Senior Member Ghost's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    2,033

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by HollyJ View Post
    Having been denied jobs and discriminated against in other ways because of my looks this article is, unfortunately, not shocking. Happiness is possible without beauty, you just have to work harder and be more intentional about it. And, although I can't prove it, I think you can find longer lasting happiness when it isn't based on beauty.
    I agree with you, mostly, Holly. But when you feel crippled with rosacea and saddled with blushing it changes everything. :-(((((((( See the other article I found today!
    "It's all illusion anyway."

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    St. Louis, Missouri U.S.A.
    Posts
    159

    Angry Re: Beauty gets you rewards

    Yes,
    I have found that unfortunately, it is true.

    I have had at least 2 or 3 friends who, while their facial features could put them in a Victoria's Secret Catalog or Miss Universe contest, their disfiguring acne diminished the overall effect. You do see more individuals with beautiful facial features and bad to average skin, than you do those with perfect skin and average to pretty features.

    Not too many people can go their whole lives without ANY skin disorder, apparently!

  5. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    19

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jasmine 215 View Post
    Yes,
    I have found that unfortunately, it is true.

    I have had at least 2 or 3 friends who, while their facial features could put them in a Victoria's Secret Catalog or Miss Universe contest, their disfiguring acne diminished the overall effect. You do see more individuals with beautiful facial features and bad to average skin, than you do those with perfect skin and average to pretty features.

    Not too many people can go their whole lives without ANY skin disorder, apparently!
    That's weird, besides teenagers, pretty much everyone I see has great skin. I know some people who have skin problems but they normally don't take away much from their looks because they are things that are easily treated or don't show up on the face.

  6. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    77

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by zeckk View Post
    That's weird, besides teenagers, pretty much everyone I see has great skin. I know some people who have skin problems but they normally don't take away much from their looks because they are things that are easily treated or don't show up on the face.
    Yeah that is very true, even people with very poor diet + no excersise + overweight seems to have very good skin compared to those with skin disorders such as rosacea/seb derm.

    heck, even those with Lupus tend to have nice skin when they're not having a flare/avoiding sun

  7. #7
    Senior Member Ghost's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    2,033

    Default Dirty Girl

    I guess one of the worst things is some people (many, in fact) who have effortless skin believe that you, with facial eruptions, subscribe to poor personal hygiene.

    In H.S. I was the only kid in biology whose petri dish remained completely clear (we were supposed to put our fingers on it). Of course the teacher came out with a concerned look on her face with "I don't know why yours has nothing on it..." as if I'd done it wrong. I didn't! But my hands were that germ free from the cleansers and meds I'd been piling on my face.
    "It's all illusion anyway."

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    St. Louis, Missouri U.S.A.
    Posts
    159

    Default Re: Lupus and how it affects skin

    Quote Originally Posted by Mogge View Post
    Yeah that is very true, even people with very poor diet + no excersise + overweight seems to have very good skin compared to those with skin disorders such as rosacea/seb derm.

    heck, even those with Lupus tend to have nice skin when they're not having a flare/avoiding sun
    Lupus can REALLY, REALLY, disfigure your skin!

    https://rosaceagroup.org/The_Rosacea...ies/crying.gif

Similar Threads

  1. FASCINATING article I just found from EyeWorld
    By Ghost in forum Ocular Rosacea
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 22nd May 2011, 06:16 PM
  2. Grr. So annoying.Before/after flush.
    By LadyBee in forum Photos
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 27th February 2010, 12:03 PM
  3. what are these ,so annoying !!!
    By frustrating in forum Photos
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 3rd February 2009, 02:46 PM
  4. Interesting article on supplements and the 'beauty' industry
    By Eric in forum News, research articles and current affairs
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 7th July 2007, 04:55 PM
  5. I know this is annoying but...
    By AnSl90 in forum General rosacea questions
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 13th November 2005, 04:32 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •