Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How DO You Know If You have Seb Derm???

Default How DO You Know If You have Seb Derm???

i'm hoping someone can give me a clear picture of seb derm? kind of confused between the symptoms of that and rosacea....

thanks!

There are a variety of skin diseases that present a red face, not just rosacea and seborrheic dermatitis. You might want to look at the rosacea mimic thread:

http://www.rosaceagroup.org/The_Rosa...in-this-thread)

Look at post #8 and #11 for seborrheic dermatitis.

Some common symptoms of SD are (Note: Not all SD sufferers exhibit all of these symptoms, each person differs):
    Red rashy, irritated areas, particulary where skin is oily
    Many small red spots on the skin
    Flaking
    Itchiness
    Flushing/burning sensations
    Random breakouts in oily skin areas- Looks like many tiny, tiny whiteheads
    Skin impoves with sensible exposure to sunlight
    Skin improves when area kept dry, but worsens with moisturiser
    Skin responds favourably to ongoing antifungal topical creams (Miconazole- v.gd for sensitive skin, Clotrimazole, Nizoral etc) , anti-dandfuff shampoos (Sebizole, Heads & Shoulders etc) left on the skin for 5 mins/day and rinsed, or oral treatment (Fluconazole, Ketaconazole, Itraconazole etc)

I guess if you think it's SD instead of Rosacea trial topical antifungal cream and/or Sebizole shampoo on the scalp and face for a few weeks and see if there is a favourable response. If not, it's likely you just have Rosacea. Note however, both conditions can co-exisit.
    Shantelle

31 Year old female from NZ

What would be preferable for treating seb derm...the honey treatment or a treatment with PTZ or 2% keto ?

I've tried to wash my face with nizoral shampoo, but it irritated my skin.

Can someone give me more information, please ?

Thanks

If you have sensitive skin probably try a combination regimine such as:
    * The raw honey & coconut oil regimine
    * Topical Miconazole (antifungal that doesn't irritate sensitive skin) applied after cleansing morning and night
    * Use Sebizole or Head n Shoulders shampoo with Zinc Pyrithrine to wash your hair (usually scalp is less sensitive) so that the any SD there is killed over time and therefore doesn't spread to the face
    * Keep away from any sort of moisturiser (unless it has anti-fungal properties like coconut oil does- even then, use very sparingly)
    * Stick to a longterm healthy diet (low sugar/low yeast/low starchy foods)
    * Take a Probiotic supplement one a day
    * Wear sunblock (non-moisturising kind) when outside and try to get some sensible sunlight exposure (e.g. ten - fifiteen mins day) to help kill SD yeast on the skin
    * And if the SD is really severe ask your derm about topical Elidel cream to reduce inflammation, and/or oral antifungal treatment (e.g. Fluconazole 150mg once or twice per month)

Sounds like a heck of a lot but if you stick to a full-on attack SD regimine like this you should see rapid improvement over the next month or so.

Best, Shantelle
    Last edited by shantelle; 5th April 2011 at 09:05 PM.
    Shantelle

Wear sunblock (non-moisturising kind) when outside and try to get some sensible sunlight exposure (e.g. ten - fifiteen mins day) to help kill SD yeast on the skin
    Hi Shantelle,

Do you know if sunlight is effective even with sunscreen on? At this time of the year, I'm fine for 10 or 15 minutes in the sun without sunscreen (I know a lot of rosacea folks are not lucky in this way) but in the middle of summer, I definitely need sunscreen if I'm out in the direct sun more than 5 minutes or so. Also, do you know if sunscreen blocks the acquiring of vitamin D from the sun? Thanks for your help!

I believe sunscreen while worn out in the sun does indeed effect VitD absoption. However, you can still absorb some VitD via the scalp etc unless your hair is particulary thick, and the rest of your skin. The problem of Rosaceans not wearing sunscreen is that there is more chance of a flushing and red skin reaction if you don't have that UVA/UVB protection. As well, with a fungal skin issue I would be concerned about potential pigment changes that the sun may induce on the affected skin area without sunscreen protection.
    Shantelle

Quote Originally Posted by shantelle View Post
    If you have sensitive skin probably try a combination regimine such as:
    * The raw honey & coconut oil regimine
    * Topical Miconazole (antifungal that doesn't irritate sensitive skin) applied after cleansing morning and night
    * Use Sebizole or Head n Shoulders shampoo with Zinc Pyrithrine to wash your hair (usually scalp is less sensitive) so that the any SD there is killed over time and therefore doesn't spread to the face
    * Keep away from any sort of moisturiser (unless it has anti-fungal properties like coconut oil does- even then, use very sparingly)
    * Stick to a longterm healthy diet (low sugar/low yeast/low starchy foods)
    * Take a Probiotic supplement one a day
    * Wear sunblock (non-moisturising kind) when outside and try to get some sensible sunlight exposure (e.g. ten - fifiteen mins day) to help kill SD yeast on the skin
    * And if the SD is really severe ask your derm about topical Elidel cream to reduce inflammation, and/or oral antifungal treatment (e.g. Fluconazole 150mg once or twice per month)

Sounds like a heck of a lot but if you stick to a full-on attack SD regimine like this you should see rapid improvement over the next month or so.

Best, Shantelle

What kind of non-moisturizing sun screen do you have a product name?

Quote Originally Posted by fortyplusandred View Post
    What kind of non-moisturizing sun screen do you have a product name?
    Hi there

It would be a good idea to visit your local pharmacy or health store and ask them for a sunscreen without added moisturiser in it suitable to sensitive skin. For example, I use this one http://www.wholehealth.co.nz/oasis-s...sunscreen.html and stay away from tinted moisturisers containing spf nowadays (moisturiser tends to flare SD). Other examples of sunscreens that might be suitable include:
    http://www.dermalogica.co.nz/shop-on...te-block-spf20
    http://www.dermalogica.co.nz/shop-on...aceblock-spf30
    http://www.janeiredale.com/bases_pmspf.html (Available in translucent or tanned)
    http://www.sephora.com/browse/produc...equestid=73379
    Shantelle