Thread: Disappointing dermatology appt.

Default Disappointing dermatology appt.

I had a very disappointing first dermatology appt today. My general doctor is the one who sent me to dermatology for rosacea symptoms and facial flushing.
    The derm was interested in my past history, but didn't even inspect my face closely. In fact, he stayed about 3 feet away! Thank goodness I took photos with me to the appointment showing my face in a flush or he wouldn't have known.
    The GP had already given me antibiotics to clear up the P&Ps, which I've been keeping under control with metrogel and retin A.
    My questions for the dermotologist were how to control flushing, and he didn't have any ideas!
    Thankfully I've been learning so much from the posters on this forum, that I told him what we could try.
    We agreed on Singular and Claritan. I hope it works. If not I'll be looking for a new dermatologist that is a little more rosacea savvy.

I notice there are some German doctors here who have had grants to research rosacea:
    http://www.rosacea.org/grants/awards.php

The hardest part about the entire Rosacea process is finding a derm who you like. Not necessarily even a good one, just one that fits you well. I've gone through 3 derms now and finally found a Rheumatologist that is willing to help me out. She doesn't even specialize in skin and is just..much more understanding.

Dunno if it's derms or doctors in general, but yeah. It's not fun. Best of luck to you!

I have heard good reviews about this clinic: http://www.dermatologikum.de/en/

They are at the other end of Germany from where you are based though - I would drop them an email and ask if they could recommend a colleague in Heidelberg.

P.S. My medical cosmetician was working at this clinic and learned from Prof. Steinkraus - she is excellent, and knows more than most derms I've met.

HTH,
    Last edited by GiGi.; 30th March 2011 at 05:09 PM.

Thank you guys for the info.
    My derm is an American military derm. here in Germany. I really wanted to see a German dermatologist, but I had heard good things about the military dermatologist so I made an appointment with him. Hmmm..... wishing I had followed my instincts.

Quote Originally Posted by GiGi. View Post
    I have heard good reviews about this clinic: http://www.dermatologikum.de/en/

They are at the other end of Germany from where you are based though - I would drop them an email and ask if they could recommend a colleague in Heidelberg.

P.S. My medical cosmetician was working at this clinic and learned from Prof. Steinkraus - she is excellent, and knows more than most derms I've met.

HTH,
    Thanks for this info GiGi, I may get to the point where I don't care how far I have to go to find someone who is knowledgeable about rosacea.