Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Has rosacea and flushing/blushing pretty much ruined your life?

Unhappy Has rosacea and flushing/blushing pretty much ruined your life?

Maybe that's too intense of a question. But I had rosacea and flushing-blushing since grammar school. I was smart, but I couldn't handle answering a question in the classroom without going into a terrible flush. And my heart would almost jump out of my throat. So I learned to hide and keep my head down. You can imagine that didn't go over too well in my "classroom participation" grade, etc.

Things never got better.

I think I'd be living a whole much more successful & productive life if not for this disease.

BTW, it all began with ocular rosacea -- sticky, grainy red eyes. I had them as a kid. No commentary. As a teen I got yelled at for having my bangs (fringe) in my eyes and that was making them red. Later I was accused of drinking or drugging, due to the evidence of my red eyes. (Even classmates thought this, I found out.)

I got so used to it somehow being "my fault" that I never even asked a doc about it. Then again, what would they know?
    "It's all illusion anyway."

Default re:

hi ghost, it is terrible what we have to go through socially. i remember days when i had some really bad flare ups and of course people would stare, make comments etc. my problems started with ocular rosacea as well. It was frustrating not understanding what the hell was going on. then came the red cheeks...i then understood it was the inflammation that was giving me dry, red eyes, and now it was manifesting in the face anyways, getting on oracea helped both the ocular rosacea and facial rosacia pretty well. now i've finally got a handle on this disease for the most part with oracea(trying to reduce now), a disciplined diet and yoga/mediation. I'm "almost" back to "normal" now with a rare flare here and there. How are you doing these days are you finding some ways to manage rosacea better?

Red face

Hi dave, I went through a lot of antibiotic junk in the past, and I didn't want to go there again. I had a few fairly good years till now. Not sure what happened (to lessen the impact of laser, which had been really working). I keep a really healthy lifestyle. Maybe it's just a blip for now. You might have seen that I was doing head stands today and I didn't come up as red as usual, which is a great thing!!! Only thing I changed was I started (again) oil or oregano caps.

It's a pity no one knew for our early on ocular rosacea.

In fact... it was an optician who first diagnosed me as having rosacea, much, much, much later; no derm ever uttered the word before.

My biggest thing is just the redness. I have gotten rid of P&P, as you may have read, with the liver flush and ayurvedic cleanse. The redness is very difficult.

I DID, indeed, miss days of school due to this very thing. I remember dropping a class because the prof assigned me a presentation to give in front of the class. I knew the subject, but I couldn't bear the thought of standing up there turning red. Sigh.

I wish I knew what it was like to be *normal*. I see other people doing stuff and not turning red and it's frustrating. But you know that.

OK, I have no paps and pustules, so I am happy about that. I am free to use make-up and I do that. I can afford (sort of) laser and I do that -- but it needs to improve. I don't want to take antibiotics nor the Beta blockers that seem to help, but can have side effects.

Be sure to let us know how it works for you as you reduce your oracea. It would be more acceptable (wouldn't it!) if it could be a seasonal thing, like an allergy pill.

Good luck to you, thanks for replying!

Hi Ghost,

I know what you are saying, it is horrible to have to go through all the social **** as well, when dealing with rosacea...
    I was lucky in a way, to have perfect skin untill I was 19.... so I never had the bullying at school, and enough time to build up some self esteem, with all those things teenagers do then. Bu my university years were dreadful, as soon
    as the rosacea hit and I had severe flushing and burning, I just forgot about the lifestyle I had looked forward to for so long: no more parties (too hot, too flushed), alcohol, energy all absorbed by finding a cure for my skin. It's a miracle I still graduated with high marks, but the 7 years I studied were far from the happy go lucky time I had planned.
    And then the relationships..... so many problems with it, purely from the rosacea. I truelly hate this condition. Still. But we have to get on with life and find a way to live with it for now, and make the best of everything I suppose... I got a bit used to it by now (10 years).

Wish you all the best and am sorry your teenage years were so affected by it,

hug Natalja

Red face

Thanks, Natalija! Hugs to you, too!

What's bad for us in those school/social/work situations is that we're so alone. There seems to be one person with rosacea per every 99 or more who do not have it. Oh, well, at least we don't have to worry about drinking too much, since that's off the menu. AND since we learned to stay out of the sun early on, we have no wrinkles. Yay for the little things! Bless.

Angry

Hi Ghost,

yeah, I agree with that, my skin looks still very youthful, no wrincles, hardly any lines, I get mistaken for an early twenties person often. But that's about the only advantage of rosacea I think......

Yeah, I had the same problem, even though I'm a nordic person: I knew virtually nobody with a red complexion, let alone rosacea. It was so bad at uni at some point, that I made sure I was first in class, to secretly put the central heating on low before anybody could see me (blush). That's quite bad, and I felt very bad about it too. And then during class people would start complaining about the chill, and I just acted as if my nose bled, lol.
    Nah, no fun.
    I even had to do a class myself, teaching, at some point. It was a chance too good to let go, but my o my, it was hard. Sixty students looking you into your red face and they all think you are emberassed or shy, which wasn't the case at all. But it went well after all, but just imaginehow much my skin burned afterwards. I think it has limited my carreer choices significantly.. I never went ahead with the teaching part, as I couldn't see myself with a fan in class, it was all just too humiliating I guess.

Another hug
    Natalja

Isn't it weird how our redness gets us creating all these little habits and trics just in order to prevent/avoid it? And after a while all these little things just take over our lives: we have to do this not to get red, we have to avoid that to prevent a flush, we have to put make-up on before daring to go outside and so on... In addition we're always thinking about ways to lessen it/get rid of it. Sometimes it feels like an obsession to me, even while I know 'there's no way out' and I just have to learn to live with it, it takes over my life.
    Me for example I mainly take to avoiding warm places: I skip lessons in hot classrooms, I only go shopping when really necessary because shops are often hot, I avoid parties for the same reason, I stay inside in summertime,... So byebye social life.
    And then I'm having this metal ruler which I always take with me when I'm taking classes because it always feels cold so I can use it to cool down (not that it really works, it's just a temporary aid). At home my mother blames me because I'm always turning the heating down. The inconvenient thing is that while my body is feeling cold, my head keeps burning...
    I think rosacea DOES ruin our lives, we all would be much better off without it!
    With me it often feels as if rosacea is taking over my life and I can't help it. My mother also has it and she doesn't care a bit, I just don't get it, she doesn't even use make-up, doesn't avoid sun or anything. I really wonder how she's able to live like that.

Wish you all lots of courage!
    Elke

Hi Elke,

yes, I agree, rosacea can be far more then a skin condition, in it's effects. It ha a huge effect on your social life often.
    That's why it's so good to have forums like this one, so you can speak with others who go through the same and find a modus that works for you.
    I think you are young still? For me, the older I get, the more I accept the rosacea and the lifestyle I have now.
    For me it makes me feel better to know I have tried many things for it, and know somewhat what helps and what not. I am still experimenting though, even though it is stressful.
    I also found that with my medication, and taking precautions, I can now go out if I want to. For instance, when I go to something social where it might be warmer then I like, I bring a bag of small icecubes with me, and I always have some in my glass of water (hey, what a party girl!! lol). Drinking very cold water prevents some flushing for me I found. And I make sure I have a coolpack in the fridge of the host, just in case. Friends and family know by now I am not playing the drama queen when I ask them to put the heating lower, and they now do that, so that is great. The worst are outings in the sun for me; there is really little hiding and even with a sun hat on, the reflection of the sun can still make my skin get burned, so I limit the time I am there, or stay in the shade. I even bought an old fashioned parasol, the ones the ladies used to walk on the boulevards with in the old times, lol, and I bring it with me sometimes. But I do get some weird looks for it often

Best wishes Natalja

Cool

Hi Natalja and Elke, Natalja you look beautiful in your icon picture. I, too, am a parasol lady! But I carry a folding umbrella instead (purple) so I can just have it conveniently in my bag.

I'm the one who always cheered for the clouds in the summertime, while my friends got p'd-off at me -- what, i can control the weather? LOL! I can't even control my face!

Yes, it's an obsession. Life-long for me. I was maybe 5 when I got the first symptom (ocular) and now I'm 57. Not a wrinkle on me, though. And I look wildly young for my age. I'm telling you guys, because you won't tell on me :-)

Ah, Ghost, so you are another one with rediculously young skin?
    Good to read! At least we get something in return from our rosacea..
    Thanks for the compliment, I have to say that that picture is almost
    8 years old, but well, since I didn't age in the meantime, I look somewhat
    similar still (only somewhat), lol.

I got this really antique parasol, from special linnen, in a brown colour with
    an emaille grasp (sorry for the wrong spelling on this one). It is really
    gorgeous I think, and with my romantic dresses and hats, I don't even mind
    the red cheeks anymore.. Too bad all the modern youngsters laugh about
    it, I get really weird looks often, but hey, I just smile back

And yes, I am also most happy in the fall, when the sun is low and weak.

best of luck,

natalja