Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The positive effects of alcohol

Default The positive effects of alcohol

So I know a lot of people have experienced this phenomenon. You have a fun night and drink a bunch, even though you know you probably "shouldn't", then the next morning you wake up with reduced redness.

For example, last night i had reason to celebrate, and drank A LOT of vodka. I wasn't looking in the mirror because I was too drunk to worry about my rosacea at the time. So I'm not sure If i flared or anything during drinking, but I don't remember feeling flushed ever. However, this morning my face is the best it has looked in about 3 months. No exaggeration. It literally looks better than it has in 90 days.

This is not a coincidence... the odds of that are way to slim. What is going on here? There seems to be something about alcohol that does help rosacea in some people.

I think we need a thread to discuss this and try and figure out how the hell this is possible. These positive effects definitely deserve serious consideration in my opinion.

I should also point out that I can't drink beer or wine as I will flush bad after just one beer/glass. I believe it is the high levels of histamine in those fermented unfiltered drinks that do it though. The vodka contains little to no histamine.

I will update if I have a rebound type effect from my massive alcohol consumption last night

Maybe I'll try the vodka treatment, it is Saturday night afterall.

Default re:alcohol

wow that's awesome if you can drink alcohol without flare-ups...alchohol did me in. It happened over time though....its wasn't one or two binge drinking sessions that got me...it was after several of them was when I really started having problems. look forward to hearing your progress - dave

Default This is a new thread.....

If you search for a thread on alcohol you get only a couple of items:

Top Alcohol Triggers

Is there any way to stop/reduce flushing when drinking alcohol?

You would think there would be more threads on alcohol, don't you agree? Usually alcohol is not put in positive light with rosacea since just about every rosacea trigger list puts alcohol, particularly wine on the list. As evolved mentions beer and wine usually come up more as an anecdotal trigger than the alcohol spirits such as vodka, whiskey, rum or scotch.

Your suggestion that alcohol has a positive effect on rosacea may be due to relief of stress. But in the long term the stress will no doubt come back and the alcohol is only a short term positive effect. It has been reported by others that when a rosacea sufferer goes on a vacation and one is relaxed and enjoying this vacation that their rosacea also improves which may be the same positive effect you are discussing. I think this new thread is worthy of consideration.

I don't think it is the histamine level in beer or wine that is the culprit. It is the high carbohydrate content that is the rosacea trigger in beer or wine.
    Last edited by Brady Barrows; 27th March 2011 at 04:14 AM.
    Brady Barrows
    Join the RRDi

When I'm drinking beer my face looks at its best. My best guess is that the effect is due to the extreme hydration of drinking several beers in a relatively short period of time. I know that after your session the alcohol is likely to have a DEhydrating effect (although I believe this can be managed), but while you're drinking, so much liquid intake seems to be good for the appearance. I wonder if drinking several cups of water would have the same effect or whether there's something specific about alcoholic drinks. As the gentleman above says, it may be due to stress reduction.

If I'm about to drink a few, I often take a quercetin anti histamine tablet which I think helps. Beer, like many alcoholic drinks, is packed with histamine.

Well in follow up: I had a big flushing episode last night. This was approximately 24 hours or so after the alcohol binge. Until the point where I had my flare up, my face continued to be less red then it had looked in months. This morning I wake up with normal redness after the big flush I had last night.

Possible reasons for the the flush last night could be:
    A rebound like effect after a lot of alcohol consumption (I'm still not sure on what the science of this would actually mean);

I took a B vitamin complex about 5 hours before the flush which contained 50 mg of niacin (this was only my second time taking the vitamin, and I am not sure if it had this effect on me the previous time - could 50 mg of niacin make me flush?);

and lastly, there was a warm room syndrome that occurred literally 15 minutes before I flushed (suddenly the heat turned on and I was also cooking using the oven).

So after some light research (mostly wikipedia) I found that alcohol is in some way connected to cortisol.

I believe this study states that one's cortisol levels rise by 3% for every drink consumed. The rise does not occur until they are sleeping or done drinking.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2266962/

From Wiki: [Cortisol] Has anti-inflammatory properties, reducing histamine secretion and stabilizing lysosomal membranes. Stabilization of lysosomal membranes prevents their rupture, preventing damage to healthy tissues.

The relationship between alcohol and the body is way to complex for me to try and understand by doing online research, but the raise in cortisol levels after drinking seems to be a likely reason for such a direct effect on redness the next morning. Also, there could of course be a rebound effect as cortisol levels return to normal.

Quote Originally Posted by evolved View Post
    So after some light research (mostly wikipedia) I found that alcohol is in some way connected to cortisol.

I believe this study states that one's cortisol levels rise by 3% for every drink consumed. The rise does not occur until they are sleeping or done drinking.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2266962/

From Wiki: [Cortisol] Has anti-inflammatory properties, reducing histamine secretion and stabilizing lysosomal membranes. Stabilization of lysosomal membranes prevents their rupture, preventing damage to healthy tissues.

The relationship between alcohol and the body is way to complex for me to try and understand by doing online research, but the raise in cortisol levels after drinking seems to be a likely reason for such a direct effect on redness the next morning. Also, there could of course be a rebound effect as cortisol levels return to normal.
    Makes totally sense to me.Some years ago I was drinking a lot (stopped drinking alcohol two years ago), and my face was always very nice the day after, but in the evening, I started to have massive flushes (the reason I quit alcohol, along with pain in chest, extreme dizzyness).
    Cortisol is the best hypothesis that I read, and I was not aware at all that alcohol raises it.

For me alcohol depends on how much I drink. If I drink a lot and have a nice buzz my skin usually remains calm. The next day however my skin is red and inflamed. I drank a good amount of alcohol this past Saturday and got a bad flush at the bar. It was terrible.

Default Clarification

I would just like to clarify that alcohol is a vasodilator of surface blood vessels, and as such is most likely a potential trigger for every rosacean. Perhaps in some individuals the vasodilation via alcohol is not as pronounced in others, and this is why they do not have a noticeable flare up. The point is: alcohol is a vasodilator of surface blood vessels.

In my case, as of lately anyway, I flush slightly upon initial consumption of alcohol. After a few drinks I generally will get a moderate flush. However, and this is the point of this thread, the next morning my face looks better then usual. Very interesting IMO. I wish I could do some real research on this stuff...