Thread: Propranolol for Redness/Flushing

Default Propranolol for Redness/Flushing

Just wondering what peoples experiences have been with propranolol for redness or flushing. Has it been helpful? What doses have worked?

I only use 10-20 mg only as needed, but have not seen any effect I can confidently attribute to propranolol.

Quote Originally Posted by dmmmmm View Post
    Just wondering what peoples experiences have been with propranolol for redness or flushing. Has it been helpful? What doses have worked?

I only use 10-20 mg only as needed, but have not seen any effect I can confidently attribute to propranolol.
    Going off memory, I believe people can take up to approx. 20mg 3 times per day, and some with severe flushing also take Clonidine i.e. 25, 50, or 75mcg every 8 hrs. I have not had experience with Propranolol but I believe Philka takes it.
    Shantelle

31 Year old female from NZ

Now I try 60 mg propanolol per day and it helps to reduce my flushing.

Hi,

just want to give you my experience with these meds, I have been on propranolol for 5 years now, and I take clonidine and remeron with it.
    I think the drowsyness will wear off in time, it did with me at least. Your body needs to adjust to the medication, and with some time you will probably not notice it anymore. Only with alcohol the effect might be a bit increased, so you might be sooner light headed then normal. I was prescribed 40 mg propranolol 2 or 3 times a day. I take nowadays 20 mg every 8 hours, and it works ok for blunting the redness and flushing, but to a degree. I find that the combination of propranolol and clonidine works well, they both lower your blood pressure (although with normal blood pressure, the body will adjust and you are unlikely to end up with very low blood pressure in the end, usually); but clonidine does something with the central nervous system, which lowers the threshold for flushing, and propranolol blocks partly the release of adrenaline, helping with the 'fight and flight' flushing.

You might try to take 20 mg every 8 hours, as it's main action is over by then. If you chose to add clonidine to it (0,75 mg), then you need to take that every 8 hours as well, as clonidine can cause short term rebound flushing if it's not taking at those intervals. It controlled my severe flushing for a few years.

Best of luck!

Natalja