Thread: NEW HERE...and Really Really Freaking Out!

Default NEW HERE...and Really Really Freaking Out!

hi everyone,

this will be long, so i apologize in advance!

i've had rosacea for 10 years, but have had it lay dormant (from IPL sessions that i had for a year ending in sept. 2005 when i became pregnant) w/some minor flushing due to seasons changing for 5 years. last week i could tell that symptoms were starting up again...and yesterday my skin started off ok in the morning, but once i got to work i had the itching/burning sensation that lasted all day and even after i washed off my makeup! i'm up after only 3 hours of sleep remembering those past days when the burning was unbearable....and feeling so helpless about it.

some history:
    i'm 38 year old woman who has had terrible stress for over a year and a half with family-related and job-related issues. i've also struggled with terrible acid reflux that got bad again in nov. 2010 + the docs after several tests said everything was "normal." in feb. 2011 i began seeing a metabolism doctor to help me get the reflux under control in a more holistic way. my diet is a non-irritating one w/no grains, dairy, salt or pepper, avocados, pork, caffeine, alcohol, oils, butter, vinegar etc... i can eat eggs, meats, veggies + fruits for this first "phase". they also did blood tests + a breath test that determined malnutrition (bacterial inflammation in intestines) and low levels of vit. D. from there they prescribed certain digestive enzymes as well as HCl and a vit. D 5000 iu everyday. the enzymes have done a little, but i'm constantly calling the doc to have them adjusted b/c of gas, bloating, etc. recently, i was taking 3 HCl/meal and 4 enymes/meal. the doc, after hearing about my skin, has me on 4 enzymes and only 1 HCl now. he did say that this is a type of "detox" and my skin may be reacting to this

i also for many years have supplemented with progesterone cream topically and have used not birth control pills in over 3. however, this month, i ran out of my progesterone cream and thought i would be okay with out it. 2 weeks ago, i began getting "rashes" on my chest, but it thought it was due to stress. then it went away. i also noticed my flushing was lasting a bit longer + reacting more. then last week, i had my first all-day flush...mild in redness, but i could tell it was there. i don't know if i messed up my hormones (i should of had started my cycle today), so now maybe my rosacea is reacting to this as well.

in the last few days, i've gone from mild flushing to now all day burning on my cheeks and nose. i don't know what to do! i cleanse with Paula's Choice Skin Recovery Cleanser, moisturize with Oil Of Olay sensitive skin, use Everyday Minerals for make-up. i havent used topicals in a long time...i also ordered Toleriane Derma Cleanse to see if my current cleanser is causing this/adding to the sensitivity.

i am able to see my derm this thursday and i guess i'm asking the group to point me in a direction where i can get this under control. its been a while for me (visiting the derm) so i cant remember too much about meds etc. i did find some old notes of mine and it looked like my doc had given me metrogel and minocycline to start with. i have the vascular type rosacea: burning + flushing. i believe i went to IPL soon after starting the topical + mino. i was also using grapeseed extract, which i just ordered again...

so, group, any thougths as to why my skin has gone from okay to crazy overnight?!
    and, how do i handle this burning + raw feeling?
    also, any suggestions about what info i should bring to the derm/what protocol i should insist on? i'm wondering if i should add clonidine to the mix?

thanks everyone! i have a little girl who is turning 5 soon and i just want to be able to spend time with her without feeling miserable! when rosacea struck 10 years ago, it was horrible + to have these 5 years w/o the pain has been a blessing!

thanks again!
    monique

also, do any of you think it could be Seb Derm, as well????

Quote Originally Posted by moniquep View Post

some history:
    i'm 38 year old woman who has had terrible stress for over a year and a half with family-related and job-related issues. i've also struggled with terrible acid reflux that got bad again in nov. 2010 + the docs after several tests said everything was "normal." in feb. 2011 i began seeing a metabolism doctor to help me get the reflux under control in a more holistic way. my diet is a non-irritating one w/no grains, dairy, salt or pepper, avocados, pork, caffeine, alcohol, oils, butter, vinegar etc... i can eat eggs, meats, veggies + fruits for this first "phase". they also did blood tests + a breath test that determined malnutrition (bacterial inflammation in intestines) and low levels of vit. D. from there they prescribed certain digestive enzymes as well as HCl and a vit. D 5000 iu everyday. the enzymes have done a little, but i'm constantly calling the doc to have them adjusted b/c of gas, bloating, etc. recently, i was taking 3 HCl/meal and 4 enymes/meal. the doc, after hearing about my skin, has me on 4 enzymes and only 1 HCl now. he did say that this is a type of "detox" and my skin may be reacting to this
    Hi moniquep

Unfortunately I don't know the answer to your other questions, but I also have issues with my digestion, albeit a healthy diet - and what has helped me so far the most, and soothes my Rosacea greatly, is taking some good probiotics, like VSL3 (or any other quality brand).

Hope that helps, and wish you the best for your derm consultation on Thursday.

Default It might be in your gut.....

Taking antibiotics over a period of time messes with your gut. You might consider probiotics, plain yogurt, and acidophilus.
    Brady Barrows
    Join the RRDi

Hi and welcome

Sorry to hear you are going through this. From your introduction it sound like you are experiencing some classic rosacea triggers-stress, gut problems and fluctuating hormones.

The easiest place to point you to for a round up of current treatments/theories is here:
    http://rosacea-research.org/wiki/index.php/Main_Page

Maybe it is a case of getting those stressors under control. Was it just the IPL that helped you last time or did you take any meds? Vitamin D3 is certainly something that people with rosacea are taking nowadays.