Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Fat a Rosacea trigger?? -- any evidence?

Default Fat a Rosacea trigger?? -- any evidence?

This is just a follow up on some threads that fat maybe a trigger to rosacea, in at least one forum member.

Personally, I have never really heard this association, so am somewhat skeptical, though open to the possibility. The only potential evidence i know to this is that red meat has been linked to worsening rosacea, compared to fish or veggies. This however may not be due to the fat....

Clearly fat is important for our bodies to function normally, so it would not seem logical to totally eliminate it. But perhaps there is a case for limiting use.

Any evidence or experience of fat related to rosacea for anyone?

I think it is not fats the problem, but the type of acids present in fats.
    Omega-6 rich fats are promoting inflammation, example the inflammatory arachidonic acid, present in red meats, egg yolks, dairy,... Thus some ppl can see a relief by avoiding this ones, and cling to omega-3 rich foods, which are anti-inflammatory.

Also my SD flared up when eating coconut oil, maybe this was die-offs, but I think that malassezzia furfur (involved in SD) can thrive when sebum contains some substances derived from saturated fats (some sources are also speaking about oleic acid), but eating butter and olive oil makes no difference, so I don't really know.

At least avoiding omega-6 vegetable oils and limiting arachidonic acid can make a real difference. But limiting anti-inflammatory omega-3 rich foods and olive oil is not a good idea because they are involved in building the skin, hydrating it, and this is only one of the hundreds of their benefits.

My opinion!

Hi, I am a vegan and I still have rosacea. Obviously we need healthy fats in our diet to sustain life but as a vegan I rarely eat unhealthy fats and I can say that I still have rosacea.

But limiting anti-inflammatory omega-3 rich foods and olive oil is not a good idea because they are involved in building the skin, hydrating it, and this is only one of the hundreds of their benefits.
    Totally agree with MasK.

Check out this link:
    http://rosacea-research.org/wiki/ind...tary_Influence

Best,
    Melissa

Default Fat is not a rosacea trigger

Thanks for making this thread. Fat has never been brought up as a rosacea trigger on any official 'trigger list' or brought up in any anecdotal reports. You would be hard pressed to find anyone who says fat is a rosacea trigger.

Fat is essential for human nutrition and survival.
    Brady Barrows
    Join the RRDi

Yes I believe fat is probably not a trigger or cause. I personally believe the cause for most skin diseases is radiation that is emitted from a star called alpha-3850 that planet Z-tan 8904 revolves around.

Default About fat...

We all have different triggers. But for me, fat is one of them.
    A lot of fried foods & french fries from McDonalds is sure to get my rosacea triggered.

Regarding "tiggers" are we talking about flush/blush or infections/bumps? As far as the latter, the only correlation I see here is increase of sebum production which would allow demodex proliferation. Overall, it is hard to imagine anyone has quantified their fat intake to realistically claim such a thing anyway.

Not all fats are equal. Many used in the fast food industry are viciously inflammatory.
    The contention is that fats per se are damaging. I'm currently experimenting with a very high fat diet. A week in and redness, flushing etc have not changed in the slightest.

Default Lipase

Hi,
    I seem to remember someone posting that rosaceans have low lipase,maybe we just can't digest fat well? This is just a guess so correct me if lipase is not the enzyme that digests fat. Anyway, i am on day 5 of candida diet which is low-carb as you all probably know. I just had my lipase tested and it is in fact on the low side. The osteopath wo tested me said double up on digestive enzymes, hopefully this will help with digesting fat.
    Dx July 2010 rosacea type 1 and 2/seb derm plus contact allergies to various substances
    Hashimoto's thyroiditis, fibromyalgia

Quote Originally Posted by vicki View Post
    Hi,
    I seem to remember someone posting that rosaceans have low lipase,maybe we just can't digest fat well? This is just a guess so correct me if lipase is not the enzyme that digests fat. Anyway, i am on day 5 of candida diet which is low-carb as you all probably know. I just had my lipase tested and it is in fact on the low side. The osteopath wo tested me said double up on digestive enzymes, hopefully this will help with digesting fat.
    How did he test the lipase levels?

An regarding to the fats in junk foods (McDonalds, ...) they are trans fats and they are extremely inflammatory, and you can add high calories, high sugar, the use of high fructose corn syrup, antibiotics and hormones use in the meat, ... it's not very surprising if your rosacea is triggered by this crap.

And I eat a lot of fat (like 250g raw milk butter in less than a week), and yet my skin has nothing but improved. I also use olive oil liberally with all meals. But I'm on a low carb diet.