Thread: Horrible ocular rosacea

Default Horrible ocular rosacea

New to the forum but have been dealing with ocular rosacea for three years now. Im currently undergoing IPL treatments, but I have had two so far with no relief. My doc says not to expect anything until the third or the fourth treatment, but its so hard to wait around while my eyes continue to get worse. I've tried everything I can think of doxy, drops, compresses, lid scrubs, nothing has worked. Just seeking some advice or suggestions, I am in a really bad place right now.
    Attached Images

Question

Hello & welcome to RF.

Can you describe your symptoms please?

Hugs Judy
    SUFFER FROM NEUROPATHIC ROSACEA & OCULAR ROSACEA SINCE 2002.

*Vit D3,Theratears Omega 3.

*LDN since October 2018.

*REN skincare range. TARTE cosmetics.

*Tried Clonidine, Moxonidine & Atenolol (None being taken at present ).

*Yearly IPL treatments until 2009.

* RLT Journey!" (Sept 09) **Using Britebox Revive..(Stopped ).

History of Hyperthyroidism (Graves) Lichen Planus (oral)
    PROUD TO BE DIFFERENT

My symptoms are chronic inflammation of the eyelids, chronic redness, dry eyes, burning sensations, bascially chronic swelling and irritation of the eyelid that never goes away. I have a mild chalazion also in my left eye, and most times when I go to the eye doc he notes that I have conjuctival hypermia. In the begining stages I was told allergy than it was posterior blepharitis, and as it progressed it became ocular rosacea/ dry eye/ MGD (Blepharitis) I have mild facial rosacea, but I guess I'm just one of those people that develop severe ocular symptoms with minimal facial symptoms. I've done two IPL treatments so far, no help yet. I am miserable.

I have "ocular rosacea"... but in my case it is all due to demodex. I treated my face with Permethrin 5% and my eyelashes came back, red eye went away, however I do still get some burning in my eye still, but I haven't eliminated demodex completely yet.

Do you have white matter in your eyelashes?

No discharge, just severe inflammation and burning. I dont know if ocular rosacea is the correct diagnosis. My eyes themeselves don't get red often, its the eyelid skin. If the IPL doesnt work I dont know what I'll do.

I've struggled with something very similar for a few years. My eyelids would swell so badly you would think I had been in a heavyweight fight. The itch was unbearable and I would have to sit with hot compresses on my eyes. The lids would actually split open every couple of months -- very painful. My rosacea had been getting worse as well. In desperation one night I slathered my eyelids with pure emu oil (I had tried it on my rosacea a year earlier with no real results). The relief by next morning was life-changing. I now just put some on every two or three days and it has been months since I had a flare up. After that first night I only use a little bit. It goes on quite oily but within minutes it soaks right in with no residue (unless you've slathered it on). My eyes get a little itchy sometimes but then I just take an antihistimine.

I feel your pain and hope this might help you.

leeFar, what helped me was switching from other brands to Theratears brand eyedrops and eyegel. Also taking flaxseed oil (in addition to the Krill oil I was already taking). Warm compress on my eyes in the morning. Occasional J&J BabyShampoo light fluffing on my eyelids: I rub up light lather in my palms and just dab this on gently and rub very gently. Along with my eyelids I wash my eyebrows well, and my entire T-zone. That's it.

This simple protocol has made a HUGE diff. I believe the Theratears (recommended by my eye doc who is familiar with ocular rosacea -- many aren't!) makes a diff. Other drops, even though they claim they are pure are not.
    "It's all illusion anyway."

Thanks for all the suggestions..just had my third IPL treatment and the inflammation and redness is getting a little better. My derm and eye doc both say its ocular rosacea..might have to be on low dose doxy for a while I'll have another IPL treatment soon. Also I got Brady's book and have been decreasing my sugar intake which also helped. Thank you all for your kind words.