Thread: antihistamine recommendations?

Default antihistamine recommendations?

Hello. I'm currently treating myself for demodex, but I'm interested in antihistamines to possibly halt some of what I believe is an allergic reaction to the mites. I understand CVS might have some, but is anyone out there aware of some good examples, or effective antihistamines?

Benedryll works for me... but it can make you quite drowsy for daytime use... its active ingredient is Diphenhydramine hydrochloride

Claritin is a non-drowsy antihistamine that i have just started using... I have a version that supposedly is a once a day type pill... not sure how well this one works yet... its active ingredient is Loratadine...

Quote Originally Posted by Gumbo View Post
    Hello. I'm currently treating myself for demodex, but I'm interested in antihistamines to possibly halt some of what I believe is an allergic reaction to the mites. I understand CVS might have some, but is anyone out there aware of some good examples, or effective antihistamines?
    I like Zyrtec, it's a once a day pill and doesn't make me tired or thirsty.

-Dave-

Quote Originally Posted by evolved View Post
    Benedryll works for me... but it can make you quite drowsy for daytime use... its active ingredient is Diphenhydramine hydrochloride

Claritin is a non-drowsy antihistamine that i have just started using... I have a version that supposedly is a once a day type pill... not sure how well this one works yet... its active ingredient is Loratadine...

Well, after being on my 1 Claritin a day for a couple days I had a big flare up last night from eating a frozen WHITE SAUCE pizza. Not sure if i can attribute this to the Claritin failing or not though... I think it may have been the wheat crust... wheat works in a whole other way i guess?

Hi,

I have allergies and rosacea with flushing and burning as the main problems, and I have tried almost all antihgistamines out there, and for me Xyzal is really the best. It's the newest type out there and for me has the strongest effect with the least side effects. Very little drowsiness for me, and within some time your body gets used to it and it is even less. Claritin and Zyrtec did nothing for me personally flushing wise... but I flush quite bad though..

Good luck!

Oh, I do need to add that I get more hungry from it, but all antihistamines have that as a side effect, because they block the H1 receptor, which seems to come with increased appetite, unfortunately..

Quote Originally Posted by nataljaoo View Post
    Hi,

I have allergies and rosacea with flushing and burning as the main problems, and I have tried almost all antihgistamines out there, and for me Xyzal is really the best. It's the newest type out there and for me has the strongest effect with the least side effects. Very little drowsiness for me, and within some time your body gets used to it and it is even less. Claritin and Zyrtec did nothing for me personally flushing wise... but I flush quite bad though..

Good luck!
    thanks for that info. nataljaoo! Ya i guess the active ingredient Levocetirizine is one of the new third generation H1 blockers... I would need to get a prescription for it i guess... Now you said you had allergies as well... do you think the antihistamine is mainly just helping your allergies... or does it also appear to be helping with everyday rosacea triggers? I think I may have to give the derm. a call about this one, as I believe one of my biggest triggers is histamine foods...

Also, how many times a day do you take it?

Thanks!