Thread: Perioral Dermatitis...

Default Perioral Dermatitis...

I was formally "diagnosed" with POD about a week ago. the derm sent me off with a prescription of doxycycline and said mine should clear up considering it's not that bad and i came in right away. it has been six days and it has almost cleared up completely. i've also been using organic apple cider vinegar to dry it out which has also worked well in my case. my only problem is there is some remaining redness that is a little bothersome just because my skin is so fair. i'm wondering if there is anyone that could have any suggestions about what they have used to reduce redness and keep it away? any help would be greatly appreciated!

I'm new here too, and don't have as much experience as the others with this since my perioral dermatitis turned rosacea just appeared in Nov 2010.
    But I think you should try to figure out what might have caused the onset of the PD in order to keep it away.
    Consider maybe what is in your skin care products such as sodium laurel sulfate, or any other potentially irritating substances.

I am sure that in time the redness will fade. For now you are best avoiding as much as possible to ensure that the PD stays away.

i'm not sure what exactly caused this. i've always had clear skin throughout my whole life. i know stress can't necessarily cause it, but around when i got it i was going through some terrible stress so i know that could have aggravated it. i switched to a non fluoride toothpaste, and am staying away from sls products. i'm not sure if either of those two could have even started it but i'm trying to steer clear of whatever could possibly aggravate this condition. when i asked the derm what could have caused this she suggested hormones. as if that was the answer i was looking for.