Thread: seb derm flush.burning.redness

Default seb derm flush.burning.redness

If your skin burns/flushes in work due to stress, at home to heating and goes back to a paler colou or baseline colour about an hour or two later is this seb derm. My last two derms say i only have seb derm and not rosacea my first derm said i had rosacea. Its killing me not knowing the difference.

Before i ditch current derm i want some feedback. Responses appereciated as current derm has given me hydrocortisone for seb derm which makes the skin nice and pale but doesnt seem to do anything for baseline redness. Neither did nizoral cream work for baseline redness.

M

Hi there

Rosacea and SD are both triggered by heat/warmth. Stress is a major Rosacea flushing and redness trigger, as is feelings of anxiety or anger. SD will respond to topical antifungal creams and oral antifungal treatment like Fluconazole (being attacked head-on externally and internally), but Rosacea won't. SD often flares when one gets IPL, but it doesn't tend to with Vbeam laser.

My advice is for you to discontinue the steroid cream; it only masks the problem/s and when you stop treatment, symptoms only come back. Hydrocortisone may even worsen Rosacea in the long-run and that is not something any Rosacean would want.

Hope this helps, Shantelle
    Shantelle

31 Year old female from NZ

Quote Originally Posted by shantelle View Post
    Hi there

Rosacea and SD are both triggered by heat/warmth. Stress is a major Rosacea flushing and redness trigger, as is feelings of anxiety or anger. SD will respond to topical antifungal creams and oral antifungal treatment like Fluconazole (being attacked head-on externally and internally), but Rosacea won't. SD often flares when one gets IPL, but it doesn't tend to with Vbeam laser.

My advice is for you to discontinue the steroid cream; it only masks the problem/s and when you stop treatment, symptoms only come back. Hydrocortisone may even worsen Rosacea in the long-run and that is not something any Rosacean would want.

Hope this helps, Shantelle
    Thanks for response, most of my flushing probs started after ipl and yag laser in march and may. Before that i might go a little red now and again. the ipl set off the seb derm big time and only way to bring it down seems to be with hydrocortisone which i was given by the second derm i saw in sept. The third derm dr . frank powell who has wrote a book on rosacea said he couldnt see any rosacea on my face when i saw him. i initially went to see him as i was concerned that protopic that i was on previously(till sept when i saw 2nd derm) might have caused rosacea in first place.

Since been off the protopic i dont seem to get many papules but still flush but not as bad as between last may-sept.

M