Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: After dinner flushing-really bright

Default After dinner flushing-really bright

Hi, I am new and haven't posted before but have been lurking a few months. I was diagnosed in july 2010 with rosacea and seb derm. I have tried metrocream, finacea and am currently on low dose doxy and clindamycin lotion plus ketocnazole for the seb derm. Tried the raw honey but developed allergic contact dermatitis from the bee propolis (underwent patch testing) so that's out. Anyway, i can't type a lot because of carpal tunnel but my question is about after dinner flushing. I can spend a whole day being moderately red but after dinner i become practically fluorescent. My dinners are bland (poultry or fish, rice, string beans or snow peas),usually organic, no spices, not too hot, etc. Am mystified. I also tend to get very itchy especially around jawline. I take xyzal which helps sort of but you can only take it once per day. I flush after dinner whether or not i take vitamins with the meal. Does this happen to anyone else?

Oh yes this happens to me...I don't think that I go as dark red as what you describe but I definitely flush even after eating bland foods...I also get more severe flushes right around the borders of my mouth just from opening my mouth too wide...so things like burgers and apples are out because between the chewing and opening my mouth really wide will actually trigger perioral and chin area flushing...that one was weird to figure out...if I stick to cutting all my food in smaller pieces I am usually ok...good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by vicki View Post
    Hi, I am new and haven't posted before but have been lurking a few months. I was diagnosed in july 2010 with rosacea and seb derm. I have tried metrocream, finacea and am currently on low dose doxy and clindamycin lotion plus ketocnazole for the seb derm. Tried the raw honey but developed allergic contact dermatitis from the bee propolis (underwent patch testing) so that's out. Anyway, i can't type a lot because of carpal tunnel but my question is about after dinner flushing. I can spend a whole day being moderately red but after dinner i become practically fluorescent. My dinners are bland (poultry or fish, rice, string beans or snow peas),usually organic, no spices, not too hot, etc. Am mystified. I also tend to get very itchy especially around jawline. I take xyzal which helps sort of but you can only take it once per day. I flush after dinner whether or not i take vitamins with the meal. Does this happen to anyone else?
    Hi there Vicki

I just thought i'd ask if you have the Rosacea pustules/papules? and that was why they prescribed Doxycycline? Doxycycline, like all antibiotics, will not have a positive effect on Seb derm and may encourage it to flare.

If you don't have a p&p issue, I would recommend you look at anti-flushing medications notated in the anti-flushing medication sticky thread (under the Prescriptions section of this forum). Anti-flushing medications like Clonidine (e.g. 25mcg or 50mcg every 8hrs) also have a good effect on reducing redness.

Best, Shantelle
    Shantelle

31 Year old female from NZ

Default After dinner flushing

Hi Shantelle,
    Yes, i do have the p and p's and i also think the doxycycline might be flaring the seb derm, although it is super low dose, less than oracea. My derm thinks i have rosacea and seb derm in overlapping areas. Last night i was about to put clindamycin on my forehead for what i thought were rosacea papules or acne when i noticed some flakes. I rubbed the flaky area and all of a sudden all this skin came off, and it was yellowish and greasy like i heard bad seb derm is...mine was not like that before. I ended up putting the ketoconazole on instead. can seb derm make you flush as well? I think that no one has suggested Clonidine because my blood pressure is already low and i have thyroid and other health issues...dont know what to do. I am really new to all this, i am scared to take a walk outside for fear of what will happen with my now-crazy skin-it is winter here, really cold. I read somewhwere that your seb derm was under control, how did you do it?
    Kitty cat, thanks for the advice, will try smaller bites.
    Dx July 2010 rosacea type 1 and 2/seb derm plus contact allergies to various substances
    Hashimoto's thyroiditis, fibromyalgia

HI there

Yes SD certainly can make you flush; it is nearly impossible to distinguish whether it's Rosacea or SD flushing if you have both conditions at the same time, but you may find the flushing decreases in frequency if you attack the SD both systemically and externally, e.g. oral and topical anti-fungal. I follow a low yeast/low sugar diet and try to limit processed foods and don't use antibiotics anymore. I take Probiotics daily, which help control yeast in the system. I also use DermaDoctor Born to be Mild cleanser regulary to keep SD at bay for good, and used to use Miconazole cream topically every night during/recovering from a flare back in early 2010.

Your right, if you have low blood pressure already you would not be a good candidate for Clonidine. A shame because is rather good at stopping the flushing and redness in most who try it. Another option is Vbeam non-purpuric laser treatment- it is expensive but very worth it if main concerns are redness and flushing and you aren't able to take Clonidine as an alternative. Vbeam also won't/isn't known to flare Seb Dermatitis (unlike IPL). Vbeam also has good effect in treating acne after 5+ treatments so it may even help Rosacea p&ps in the longrun. I have had a good experience with non-purpuric vbeam so recommend it if you can find a Derm experienced in laser treatment who is reputable to give you advice.

Hope this info helps :-)

Shantelle
    Shantelle

hi Shantelle,
    Seb derm can cause flushing too...oh no, this is truly impossible. I have been eating a lot of blueberries the past two weeks because i heard they help vasoconstriction, but maybe all the fruit sugar flared up the seb derm more. I tend to stay away from sugar and i eat no bread or pasta but fruit and rice are a weakness. I also take probiotics, hope the doxy isn't killing them, i take them at different times of the day...
    I was saving up for v-beam or ipl, it is good to know that ipl can flare sd. Maybe i will do the v-beam. Will they still do it if you are red in a lot of areas (in my case, cheeks, jaw, forehead, a little chin)? Also, how do they know if they are lasering a rosacea area or a sebderm area?
    I briefly saw one of your posts about the lupus and Plaquenil- weird coincidence but I think i have heard my derm prescribing methotrexate for rosacea. I don't know if they are same drug class but i have a friend who takes methotrexate for lupus. Did the Plaquenil help the rosacea? I have a lot of joint pain/arthritis/ degenerative disk and
    other back damage but my ANA tests come up negative, still my primary care doc
    thinks i have some as-yet undiagnosed autoimmune connective tissue problem.. I hate all this stuff, it really takesthe fun out of life...

Sorry for so many questions, just two more: is the miconazole better than ketoconazole and how often do you use Born to be mild? Thanks so so much shantelle
    Vicki
    Dx July 2010 rosacea type 1 and 2/seb derm plus contact allergies to various substances

Hi Vicki

With fruit you can't cut them out too much; they are just so good for you in so many ways that it would be unsensible to cut down too much and not enjoy them. It would probably be more beneficial to keep yummy fruit in the diet and just up the amount Probiotics, if you think you are flaring. My GP told me some patients of hers with longterm yeast issues take up to 5 capsules a day if neccessary and see enormous benefit.

Doxy will kill the good bacteria in your system and discrupt the microorganism balanace (so then the yeast flourish more than if you weren't on antibiotics). Just keep an eye on things and do as best you can by good diet and Probiotics.

Yes I would recommend v-beam to you over IPL, only because IPL can flare SD in some. You would need to see a Derm and seek out his advice in whether you might be a good candidate for treatment at the moment.

I'm not so sure i'd recommend Methotrexate really; it is known to lower immunity and make one more susceptible to infection, unlike anti-malarials like Plaquenil and Quinacrine/Mepacrine. Plaquenil for sure has had a positive effect on both my Rosacea (Type 1 symptoms of flushing/redness) and lupus due to it's accumulative anti-inflammatory effect on the body and ability to interfer in the autoantibody process in those with autoimmune issues like lupus and R.Arthritis etc. It is a very mild, safe medication... so much so that nowerdays up-to-date Rheums believe it is safer for a pregnant woman who has lupus to continue with treatment during pregnancy rather than stop it. If your GP thinks you might be in the onset stage of a connective tissue disease it would be a good idea to read up about antimalarials in the interim. Also, there is a subtype of lupus which is called ANA-negative lupus... but i'm assuming the GP knows about that.

I use Born to be Mild cleanser approx. 3 time per week. I have not tried Ketaconazole because I found so much success with Miconazole.

I hope this info helps

Best, Shantelle
    Shantelle

Hi there. I would suggest that you're allergic to something you're eating. I'm currently experiencing this right now, and I suspect I'm allergic to either chicken or bananas, so am going to avoid those for now. I get very itchy around my chin area and break out in hives.

Oh, and I'm quite intolerant to string beans, which caused me to break out in a horrible rash all over my face... so that was a surprise considering I thought they were a mild food that was quite safe to eat.
    Current skincare regime for rosacea subtypes I, II and IV started March, 2012:

*Strict diet. No dairy, wheat, sugar, nuts/seeds, legumes. Only meat, 'safe starches', and low-phenol starchy/unstarchy fruits and veggies and water with ghee, lard and duck fat as cooking aids and sources of fat. Also avoiding food intolerances.
    Supplementing with raw food multivitamin, liquid zinc sulfate with copper, epsom salt baths (magnesium sulfate), calcium and vitamin C. Lots of water!

Shantelle, thanks, my GP and rheumatologist did not bother to tell me about ANA negative lupus. Thanks again doctors! Oh well. I did a little research and it said you needed to have kidney sympyoms though? Not sure. I read another member's post (Mistica) where she asid there were people on this forum who had autoimmune symptoms but negatuve ANA...
    Christine, sounds like you have had extensive food allergy testing. Was this a traditional doc, naturopath, integrative MD...i would like to have a complete food allergy/intolerance series done. The testing i had didn't include enough foods in my opinion..String beans huh? I eat them a lot, mostly because i was trying to avoid histamine producing veg like spinach and also trying to avoid nightshades for joint pain. I am really running out of safe vegetables.It is exhausting figuring out what to eat. I am allergic to cow's milk on a skin prick test but not on a blood test. I eat goat milk yogurt in the morning but I don't flush afterwards, still was wondering if i should cut out the yogurt. Am reluctant because of the probiotics in it. It is so confusing!

Hi Vicky,

sorry to read you are having troubles. Your īcaseī (sorry for the term, lol) sounds a bit like mine, so perhaps I can also try to help a bit.
    I also have the flushing type of rosacea (quite severe flushing for a long time) and I have seb derm. I find that my seb derm is very calm to non existing in the summer, but getting back in the winter. I read the cold weather can stirr it up, so perhaps thatīs why. Because my eating habits donīt change. My diet is a bit like yours, I eat as much organic as possible, chicken, duck, turkey in moderation, occasionally some beef or lamb, brown rice, vegetables like broccoli, zucchini, carrots, fennel, salads, apples or pears. No dairy and no gluten.
    I also have immune related issues: took years to figure it out, but I have colitis, Raynauds and allergies. ANA levels were negative first, then a few years later 1/40 and a few months ago 1/80, so thatīs positive and it seems to crawl up. Dr Tony Chu, a good dermatologist, thinks my rosacea is auto-immune related as well, as is the seb derm perhaps.
    For me, medication has helped most with my flushing. I take clonidine, mirtazapine, propranolol and Xyzal. I had also low blood pressure, but the meds have not lowered it any further (only the first months, then the body adjusted). Now I have a underlevel normal blood pressure, around 96.
    I also have ketoconazol cream for the seb derm, which helps well. I tried honey as well (gave me red rashes) and coconut oi (gave me more rashy skin), but the ketoconazol wrks def. best. What you describe about your forehead is also similar to what I have: I can rub my fingers over the skin on the forehead, and just rub off skin flakes, like their is a greazy layer over it. My seb derm skin (on the T-zone only, around mouth, nose and on forehead and eyebrows) can get reddish and have some red spot like dots.
    I have special cream made by the pharmacy, to not irritate my rosacea skin: it contains ketoconazol 2%, eucerinum cum aqua and cetiol V as a binder. Nothing else. Very mild on the skin and the ketoconazol works still fine, despite the lack of alcohol.
    I also flush more after and during dinner. In the evening, your body temperature rises, making you more prone to flush. The meal will also activate your inner digestive system, making you more prone to flushing. And the food itself will have substances like histamine, salycilates etc, which can stirr up a flush. If you are at home and not in a restaurant or anything, you might want to try to eat smaller portions devided over more time. And use a ventilator to prevent a flsuh coming up and developping into a major flush. I take 10 mg instead of 5 mg Xyzal when I know I will eat out of my safetybox, and I take it 1 hour before I will eat, so it has a good peak plasma volume by the time I will eat the dreaded food. I also drink iced water; when out of the house, I just ask for mineral water with plenty of icecubes. Sipping that can help to calm the inner īthermastateī down.

I also try to avoid eating too much sugar and white flour, as it might worsen the seb derm. But I do need some carbs, or Iīll faint (or feel like that).

Hope this will help a little bit.
    Please keep us updated and best of luck, Natalja