Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 12

Thread: Stromectol / ivermectin?

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    64

    Default Stromectol / ivermectin?

    I was given 1 dose of 12 mg just a single dose. What can or what should I expect? I have rosacea red face and p&p and my dr and I wanted to rule out demodex mites.

    The problem is I been on a antibiotic (doxy) since last thurs. and starting to see some improvement. The pharmacy did not have the ivermectin last week so I picked it up today. I took the pills on empty stomach about 12 noon today.

    What can I expect and how do I know if its the antibiotic or the ivermectin working? Also will the ivermectin have a permanent effect after 1 dose?

    I called my dr office and spoke to the nurse. She told me if it works no more doses are needed, but where do you draw the line and say its not working and I need more doses or I do not have a demodex problem and leave it at that.

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Minneapolis, MN
    Posts
    1,622
    Country: United States

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by billybob63 View Post
    I was given 1 dose of 12 mg just a single dose. What can or what should I expect? I have rosacea red face and p&p and my dr and I wanted to rule out demodex mites.

    The problem is I been on a antibiotic (doxy) since last thurs. and starting to see some improvement. The pharmacy did not have the ivermectin last week so I picked it up today. I took the pills on empty stomach about 12 noon today.

    What can I expect and how do I know if its the antibiotic or the ivermectin working? Also will the ivermectin have a permanent effect after 1 dose?

    I called my dr office and spoke to the nurse. She told me if it works no more doses are needed, but where do you draw the line and say its not working and I need more doses or I do not have a demodex problem and leave it at that.
    I dont believe one dose of ivermectin will do much of anything. Need to be more aggressive with it..
    Doug

  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    64

    Default

    So my derma. is basically humoring me? He was a little reluctant to prescribe. When i asked him about it, he said ok we can rule it out but I think the antibiotics will help.

    Now how do i go about continuing this treatment? How would you go about it? You know how dr.'s are about being asked or told what to do.

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Minneapolis, MN
    Posts
    1,622
    Country: United States

    Default

    i think derms and doctors think they can treat demodex like scabies. But from what I have found online demodex can be very hard to kill. And thus a more aggressive approach is needed.
    Doug

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    186

    Default Prescribed Stromectol

    I was diagnosed with my 2nd bout of demodex 2 weeks ago. For 2 weeks, I have applied topical treatments and still have intense itchiness and bumps. I was prescribed oral ivermectin (Stromectol) today at 6mg today, then 6mg next week. My derm was reluctant to give this to me, but she said she saw few options at this point. I am also using topcial permethrin each night I take the Stromectol. I read that it can take daily doses for several weeks to eliminate them.

    I also took this medication on an empty stomach with water as directed. I do not know what to expect either, but I imagine if the dosage is high enough, then the mites will be active resulting in itchiness, then die off quickly. But, I'm not sure.

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    806

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by meridiantoo View Post
    I was diagnosed with my 2nd bout of demodex 2 weeks ago. For 2 weeks, I have applied topical treatments and still have intense itchiness and bumps. I was prescribed oral ivermectin (Stromectol) today at 6mg today, then 6mg next week. My derm was reluctant to give this to me, but she said she saw few options at this point. I am also using topcial permethrin each night I take the Stromectol. I read that it can take daily doses for several weeks to eliminate them.

    I also took this medication on an empty stomach with water as directed. I do not know what to expect either, but I imagine if the dosage is high enough, then the mites will be active resulting in itchiness, then die off quickly. But, I'm not sure.
    6mgs seems like a light dose, unless you weight around 100lbs. I took a 12mg dose and weight 150lbs.

    -Dave-

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    186

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by flying_er View Post
    6mgs seems like a light dose, unless you weight around 100lbs. I took a 12mg dose and weight 150lbs
    Hi Flying-er,

    I felt this dose was a low one also, compared to what I have read so far. I weigh about 130-135 lbs, so this may not help. My derm was reluctant to even give this to me, so I am frustrated at this point.

    I woke up this morning to itchy private parts and ear canals and inside nostrils, basically areas I have not been treating with topicals, as well as everywhere else.

    I will be starting topical ivermectin tonight (against my derms opinion) at a low concentration mixed with conditioner.

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    806

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by meridiantoo View Post
    Hi Flying-er,

    I felt this dose was a low one also, compared to what I have read so far. I weigh about 130-135 lbs, so this may not help. My derm was reluctant to even give this to me, so I am frustrated at this point.

    I woke up this morning to itchy private parts and ear canals and inside nostrils, basically areas I have not been treating with topicals, as well as everywhere else.

    I will be starting topical ivermectin tonight (against my derms opinion) at a low concentration mixed with conditioner.
    So 12mgs would probably be a better dose for you. I did not see any improvement with 2 doses of Stromectol but I was never diagnosed with demodex. My doctor just figured it would make sense to treat for demodex and if things got better we would know that demodex was the issue. I also used Eurax lotion nightly and never saw much improvement so I'm not sure demodex play a major part in my rosacea. But you have been diagnosed so hopefully this treatment will help you.

    Good luck,
    Dave

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    186

    Default

    Thanks, Dave!

    ___________________________

    I have had red skin that resembles fish scales on my neck and upper chest for a while now. These were/are itchy areas that I often scratched. I assumed it was caused by hormonal changes or maybe just another aspect of my sensitive, allergy-prone skin, and/or irritated skin from itching so much. After taking the oral ivermec last night, these have almost completely resolved. Even though I am using topicals, I attribute this resolution to the Stromectol, but it could be a cummulative thing and a result of using the many products - I really don't know.

    Another result I've experienced after using the Stromectol is enlarged facial pores in certain areas with the texture resembling an orange peel. I don't know if this is permanent and what the cause is, but it's a noted experience.

    This medicine will cause digestive upset.

    I was less itchy during the day, though enough to still be uncomfortable and applied TTO mixed with lotion to my body.

    I also noticed a relief in eye irritation - less dryness and rubbing, less redness around eyelashes.

  10. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    186

    Default Day 2 post oral ivermectin dose

    The areas that were fish-scaly on neck and upper chest are still remarkably improved.

    Still experiencing gastric upset, though, not too bad. I also had a bad headache last night and am not sure what the cause was.

    My skin had started to look old - I'm not sure how to explain it. But, it was starting to resemble the skin of my older mother and I thought I was just starting to age like we all do. I woke up this morning to skin that looks more youthful, less leathery and collagen-less. I don't do tanning beds or lay out in the sun, so these activities were not a cause of this.

    I also woke up at 6am itching really badly. I applied the dry mustard to my entire body last night like I have for 7 days now. Usually, the mustard itch relief lasts from time of application to around 2pm the next day. I'm not sure if the mustard is not working as well or what. I plan to use the injectable 1% invermectin dermally tonight.

Similar Threads

  1. Ivermectin (Stromectol)- To kill the mites
    By nbapoker in forum Prescription medications
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 23rd September 2017, 09:32 AM
  2. Ivermectin & more
    By Alanaray in forum Newbie questions / Introduction
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 15th November 2013, 07:41 PM
  3. ivermectin?
    By rcb67 in forum Topical and oral products (non-prescription)
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 30th November 2011, 07:34 PM
  4. ivermectin
    By dryfairskin in forum Topical and oral products (non-prescription)
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 18th July 2011, 01:44 AM
  5. Stromectol Studies in Indianapolis -- Volunteers?
    By drnase in forum General rosacea questions
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 25th September 2005, 12:02 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •