Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: My experience with my first Non-purpuric vbeam Laser treatment

Thanks for documenting your experience with V-Beam. I am considering this treatment for the future but am still giving my skin some more time to recover from accutane (finished treatment 1 year ago). My greatest concern is that the treatment will cause some scarring, burns, or damage to my skin, even with the non-purpuric setting. I have extremely sensitive skin with contact dermatitis to many topical treatments, so I may not respond normally.
    I have googled V-beam and seen several warnings from people who have been burned or disfigured from lasers/IPLs so that really scares me. I had such a terrible experience with accutane that I am wary of all treatments now.

I wish there was a guaranteed safe way to remove some of the broke capillaires and redness around my cheecks (which is pretty minor right now) without any risks.

Quote Originally Posted by Running2B View Post
    Thanks for documenting your experience with V-Beam. I am considering this treatment for the future but am still giving my skin some more time to recover from accutane (finished treatment 1 year ago). My greatest concern is that the treatment will cause some scarring, burns, or damage to my skin, even with the non-purpuric setting. I have extremely sensitive skin with contact dermatitis to many topical treatments, so I may not respond normally.
    I have googled V-beam and seen several warnings from people who have been burned or disfigured from lasers/IPLs so that really scares me. I had such a terrible experience with accutane that I am wary of all treatments now.

I wish there was a guaranteed safe way to remove some of the broke capillaires and redness around my cheecks (which is pretty minor right now) without any risks.
    My skin sounds almost identical to yours - VERY sensitive. Bad reactions to practically everything I put on it (including the most basic of moisturizers designed for sensitive skin... and even aloe gel reacts bad!).

I was also very scared about getting laser treatment done because of all the horror stories out there. But I just got to the point where I didn't care anymore and figured anything was better than the way my skin currently looked. I also found a fabulous dermatologist who listened to my concerns and symptoms and taylored treatment specifically to my skin-type. Because I have such incredibly sensitive skin, he did (and still does) the treatments at a very very low setting (I think the lowest possible). He turns it up a little bit for the broken caps and goes over those once more.

Honestly, it is a long journey to clear skin, even with non-purpuric treatment. The skin will have it's ups and downs after treatment. And you may need up to three or four treatments, spaced 6 to 8 weeks apart. I'm at four weeks after treatment 3 and my skin still isn't where I want it (though it is HEAPS better).

It is a tough call. Just make sure to be informed. And most of all, find a good derm/practitioner. Good luck

Default Week four - post treatment number 3

Hi Shantelle (and all!),

I figured I should do another update. My skin is looking much better than week three. It's smooth, with very minimal bumpiness. Some days I have patches of redness, others very little. I feel like my skin is on the mend! One thing I am really noticing is that on nights I get more sleep, my skin looks much better. So I'm trying to average 8-10 hours a night now.

I've decided that I will wait a full 12-weeks (from treatment number 3) before doing any more treatments. Now that I've had 3, I feel I should give the skin some downtime and see if it just needs some healing. If it does need another blast after 12 weeks, then I will go with that.

I'll keep updating! And look forward to reading yours too Shantelle

Well it is about the 10 week mark post the 2nd non-purpuric vbeam treatment.

Central face pinkness:
    Looking at pre-vbeam photos I can see a marked reduction of pinkness, but not a huge difference between treatment no1 results and treatment no 2 results. More treatments are inevitable to get rid of further base pinkness in my central face area. I am fine with that as I know results are cumulative and one should expect to do more than just two vbeams before seeing significant results. Perhaps even, it may take as much as 7-10 treatments... it is a slow process.

Old acne scars:
    The other reason for choosing vbeam was because it improves the appearance of scars, of which I have some left from the Accutane days treating severe acne 2007 - end 2009. I don't know whether there has been much improvment so far to the appearance of old scars, but I am very fair and scar easilly, so perhaps it may take alot more treatments to see any benefit there. The scars are not obvious to others, but obvious to me. Some days I think there has been improvement to scars, and other days not... it's wierd... perhaps I might even still have some healing to do though. Or, perhaps aggressive purpuric/brusing vbeam treatments are best for scarring... it makes sense, but i'm not willing to do the aggressive treatments for this minor concern.

Flushing:
    In terms of flushing/burning, vbeam has keep that issue at bay very well. Sometimes i'll still get a bit pink/warm if i'm sitting at the computer for a long period of time, or going from very cold/windy to very warm/stuffy environments, but it is nothing like the ordeals of last year and there is certainly no painful burning. So I think the combo of Plaquenil and vbeam is very beneficial for this symptom.

Broken capillaries:
    Cannot see any now, but I only had a couple to begin with. Vbeam has probably worked best for this particular Rosacea symptom.

Anyway, i'll document what happens with further non-purpuric treatments and see if I notice changes after more treatments. Treatment no 3 is going to be arranged near end of May.

Also, just thought i'd mention that I have just started Spironolactone to reduce oiliness (sick of it) and minor hormonal acne which tends to scar me even with smallest of pimples. It is the next best option without going on Accutane (absolutely not an option) or birth control pills (body reacts badly to them nowadays) or antibiotics (did nothing for me except make me extremely sun sensitive). No repercussions so far (Day 4) which is a miracle seeing I tend to react to medications easilly.
    Last edited by shantelle; 8th May 2011 at 05:47 AM.
    Shantelle

31 Year old female from NZ

I thought i'd better update this thread to share my third Candela vbeam laser experience (Was going to get the 3rd treatment in late April, but this was pushed out on advice from Derm to get full view of results 5 months after treatment 2 in Feb). So this is a good account of treatment no.3:

Intensity: Lightly sub-purpuric (a 'double-whammy' vbeam treatment, but not a full-on purple aggressive treatment)
    ~ Afterwards (Midday): Less of the sunburnt look that i experienced with treatments 1 & 2. More of a patchy/blotchy red/pink look for the first few hours afterwards
    ~ That night: Looking pretty good, most of redness and blotchiness went down except for nose area and top sides of cheeks (not far from eyes) where there is obvious slight red bruising.
    ~ Next day: Not too bad. Look same. Go to video store and look decent, maybe just abit flushed or like i'd been out in the sun or something.
    ~ Day 3: Things get more inflammed. Some cheeks and definitie nose swelling. This was not expected seeing day 1 and 2 didn't show any swelling.
    ~ Day 4: Same as day before, maybe slightly less blotchy/light pink-bruised looking. Nose redness still the most obvious which reacts to slightest change in room temperature.
    ~ Day 5 (go to work): Decide to let people know about the lasering as I'm pretty certain my skin is going to play up during the day without air con. Needless to say, mid afternoon i'm looking redder in the hardest hit areas. Blood vessels seem to be in hyperactive mode without air control or fresh air. Nevermind! Needless to say, the girls at work were intrigued about the vbeam laser and what it does. I also think they were intrigued to see me without makeup, being brave and baring it all. My skin is still too sensitive for foundation, and I estimate it will be like that for the rest of the week.

Even though this treatment is giving the most downtime of all treatments so far, i think the intensity of this treatment is more to my liking... not too aggressive, but slightly more aggressive than previous non-purpuirc treatments. I will update as time goes on.
    Last edited by shantelle; 19th July 2011 at 04:22 AM.
    Shantelle

Forgot to add that I am off all oral meds now, only on the anti-SD regimine (noted under my sig).
    Shantelle

Quote Originally Posted by shantelle View Post
    Forgot to add that I am off all oral meds now, only on the anti-SD regimine (noted under my sig).
    any updates?

Hello,

After several IPL"s and a disastrous antibiotics experience which worsened my condition, i am now considering a non -purpuric treatment.

Any update from Shantelle's experience ?

Default Bump

Quote Originally Posted by rosa2011 View Post
    Hello,

After several IPL"s and a disastrous antibiotics experience which worsened my condition, i am now considering a non -purpuric treatment.

Any update from Shantelle's experience ?