Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Different between KPRF and Rosacea..

Default Different between KPRF and Rosacea..

Alright guys, I'm sure many of us have been confused about this at one point or another. if you head over the KPRF section of the KP forum and look at some of the pictures they look quite literally exactly like rosacea. Look at this guy's cheek..

http://www.keratosispilaris.org/kprf...d-redness.html

That's what my skin looks like. Completely. So is there a set way to tell the difference? If there is a difference, does it even matter? There isn't a cure for KPRF either, so meh. Does it matter?

Default there is a difference

Yes, there is a difference in treatment. Check the treatment for KP.

Now check the treatment for rosacea.

There is a reason why physicians must differentiate all the rosacea mimics in a differential diagnosis because treatments vary. The treatment for acne is different from the treatment for rosacea. Same with KP.

While some of the treatments overlap or or the same, it is important to get a correct diagnosis.
    Brady Barrows
    Blog - Join the RRDi

That article only really focuses on the cloggy type of KP. KPRF treatment isn't really covered.

And how exactly can you tell if it's kprf or rosacea? Both are facial blushing issues. KPRF doesn't even have to have the chicken skin feel of normal KP.

For me, I'm not in a single of the risk groups for rosacea. I'm 19, a guy and have absolutely no history of rosacea. Isn't it more likely that I'd have KPRF?

Quote Originally Posted by Rand627 View Post
    That article only really focuses on the cloggy type of KP. KPRF treatment isn't really covered.

And how exactly can you tell if it's kprf or rosacea? Both are facial blushing issues. KPRF doesn't even have to have the chicken skin feel of normal KP.

For me, I'm not in a single of the risk groups for rosacea. I'm 19, a guy and have absolutely no history of rosacea. Isn't it more likely that I'd have KPRF?
    Rand, I too would like to know the difference and how to approach treatment.

The only difference I can see if that with KPRF you don't a get burning sensation, but I could be wrong...

I just quickly 'googled images' for KPRF and Rosacea. See below. They are quite similar, but I would say Rosacea has a more mottled appearance (like my own skin) whereas KPRF seems to be more smooth uniform red.

Default the difference between KP and rosacea

Quote Originally Posted by Rand627 View Post

Your original question was does it matter whether KPRF is different from rosacea? The answer is that the treatment is different and that makes the difference. Basically only a physician can diagnose rosacea or KPRF legally and ethically. Internet diagnosis is not an exact science and is not recommended by physicians or other health care providers. KP is according this source, "a disorder that occurs around the hair follicles of the upper arms, thighs, and sometimes the buttocks." Keratosis Pilaris Rubra Faceii is simply KP on the face. Rubra is red in latin. Faceii is related to the face.

Again, according to this source the treatment for KP is, "To treat keratosis pilaris patients can try several strategies to lessen the bumps. First, the patient can supplement the natural removal of dry skin and papules by using a loofah or another type of scrub showering or bathing. A variety of different over-the-counter (OTC) lotions, ointments, and creams can also be applied after showering while the skin is still moist and then several times a day to keep the area moist. Medicated lotions with urea, 15% alphahydroxy acids, or Retin A can also be prescribed by the dermatologist and applied one to two times daily. Systemic (oral) medications are not prescribed for keratosis pilaris. However if papules are opened and become infected, antibiotics may be necessary to treat the infection."

You might want to read this article in the NY Times Health Guide.

The treatment for rosacea is different but as the above source shows, sometimes treatment for KP can overlap with rosacea treatment. There is a difference between KP and rosacea and that is why there is differential diagnosis.

As to whether you have rosacea, diagnosis should be done by a physician with a physical exam and history. Flushing is usually the distinguishing differential for rosacea. Rosacea sometimes occurs in your age group but not normally. Nice photo collection you posted. KP is one of the many rosacea mimics.
    Last edited by Brady Barrows; 29th January 2011 at 04:33 PM.
    Brady Barrows
    Blog - Join the RRDi

I made an inventory (or tried to) of most other medical conditions which can cause rosacea-like symptoms, such as facial flushing, burning and redness.
    It includes symptom description, images of diseases and comparisons with rosacea symptoms, to hopefully make it easier for rosacea patients -or those suffering from facial flushing- to inform themselves about other illnesses that can cause similar/overlapping symptoms. Hope I didn't make mistakes, if so fee free to say so.
    http://scarletnat.blogspot.fr/2014/0...facial_29.html

I found this about KPRF and the differences with rosacea flushing (I added links to sources used in the blog):

Keratosis pilaris rubra faceii (KPRF) is often misdiagnosed as rosacea, as it primarily affects the face and makes the cheeks also red and ruddy looking. However, KP can be accompanied by itching in the affected area, whereas rosacea rarely itches, and often burns instead. Also, KP not only gives a bright rosy color, but this color can be very clearly marked from normal looking skin (and rosacea rarely has such a clear cut division line), and KPRF can also look very smoothly red/rosy colored, whereas rosacea rarely is as evenly red or pink (but again, there are exceptions for all this). KP can come with the typical KP bumps. However, to make matters more difficult: KPRF doesn't even have to have the chicken skin feel of normal KP. Also people who have Rubra Faceii usually also have a small bit of Keratosis Pilaris on other body parts, like the backs of their upper arms (however as 1/2 population has KP this is probably not that great a test).
    Another difference is that rosacea usually also affects your nose, the sides of your nose, your chin and your forehead (this can come gradually. I started of with only redness in the cheek area but by now, 15 years later, my chin and nose are also getting a lot more red). Rubra Faceii affects the cheeks, the area just under the nose and just under the eyes. In addition, as written before, Rosacea usually is quite blotchy while Rubra Faceii gives a much more even red skin tone. People with KPRF do blush and flush easily, something they share with a lot of rosacea patients. Also KPRF does not affect the eyes, unlike rosacea (sometimes causing occular rosacea; dry, gritty, painful eyes). KPRF can also hit at a young age, whereas rosacea usually starts after age 18. Some derms still say rosacea only affects people in their 30's, but this is most definitely incorrect. Mine started age 19 and I know a lot of people from forums who had rosacea from their 20's, but I only heard of people getting affected with it as early as puberty (seldomly) and onwards. KP seems to start in kids already, and also very often or even usually during puberty. Some other KPRF indications are a paler patch right in the middle of the cheek redness area, or roughness or pitted areas (small depressions) in the redness, around the hair follicules on the cheek. Also, both KP and rosacea can run in families, so if any of your family members have one or the other, this can be another indication of which of the 2 you might have when you are dealing with these symptoms that can be both KP or rosacea.

Hope this is helpful and correct

Quote Originally Posted by nat007 View Post
    I made an inventory (or tried to) of most other medical conditions which can cause rosacea-like symptoms, such as facial flushing, burning and redness.
    It includes symptom description, images of diseases and comparisons with rosacea symptoms, to hopefully make it easier for rosacea patients -or those suffering from facial flushing- to inform themselves about other illnesses that can cause similar/overlapping symptoms. Hope I didn't make mistakes, if so fee free to say so.
    http://scarletnat.blogspot.fr/2014/0...facial_29.html

I found this about KPRF and the differences with rosacea flushing (I added links to sources used in the blog):

Keratosis pilaris rubra faceii (KPRF) is often misdiagnosed as rosacea, as it primarily affects the face and makes the cheeks also red and ruddy looking. However, KP can be accompanied by itching in the affected area, whereas rosacea rarely itches, and often burns instead. Also, KP not only gives a bright rosy color, but this color can be very clearly marked from normal looking skin (and rosacea rarely has such a clear cut division line), and KPRF can also look very smoothly red/rosy colored, whereas rosacea rarely is as evenly red or pink (but again, there are exceptions for all this). KP can come with the typical KP bumps. However, to make matters more difficult: KPRF doesn't even have to have the chicken skin feel of normal KP. Also people who have Rubra Faceii usually also have a small bit of Keratosis Pilaris on other body parts, like the backs of their upper arms (however as 1/2 population has KP this is probably not that great a test).
    Another difference is that rosacea usually also affects your nose, the sides of your nose, your chin and your forehead (this can come gradually. I started of with only redness in the cheek area but by now, 15 years later, my chin and nose are also getting a lot more red). Rubra Faceii affects the cheeks, the area just under the nose and just under the eyes. In addition, as written before, Rosacea usually is quite blotchy while Rubra Faceii gives a much more even red skin tone. People with KPRF do blush and flush easily, something they share with a lot of rosacea patients. Also KPRF does not affect the eyes, unlike rosacea (sometimes causing occular rosacea; dry, gritty, painful eyes). KPRF can also hit at a young age, whereas rosacea usually starts after age 18. Some derms still say rosacea only affects people in their 30's, but this is most definitely incorrect. Mine started age 19 and I know a lot of people from forums who had rosacea from their 20's, but I only heard of people getting affected with it as early as puberty (seldomly) and onwards. KP seems to start in kids already, and also very often or even usually during puberty. Some other KPRF indications are a paler patch right in the middle of the cheek redness area, or roughness or pitted areas (small depressions) in the redness, around the hair follicules on the cheek. Also, both KP and rosacea can run in families, so if any of your family members have one or the other, this can be another indication of which of the 2 you might have when you are dealing with these symptoms that can be both KP or rosacea.

Hope this is helpful and correct
    Great post.
    I think I have both rosacea and KPRF/folliculitis.
    My Dad told me he had rosacea on his chin when he was younger, and my mum has KP bumps on her arms and legs.
    My face become permanently red/flushy when I was 14, and has slowly developed since then.
    It started with my cheeks, then my nose, and now my chin and forehead.
    I have to keep a beard all year round because I get red bumps if I shave.
    I'm not sure if this means anything, but the redness on my cheeks goes into my beard area along my jawline.
    Furthermore, I'm more red in the areas where there's more hair follicles grouped together (I have white patches where there's no/minimal hair growth).
    Basically, the patchy parts of my beard are the least inflamed parts of my face.
    The redness around each individual hair follicle isn't raised or bumpy.

Every derm/doctor I've seen just tells me that my redness is rosacea, but it honestly seems like I'm battling at least two or three conditions.
    It makes it confusing to treat

Quote Originally Posted by Josef61 View Post
    Great post.
    I think I have both rosacea and KPRF/folliculitis.
    My Dad told me he had rosacea on his chin when he was younger, and my mum has KP bumps on her arms and legs.
    My face become permanently red/flushy when I was 14, and has slowly developed since then.
    It started with my cheeks, then my nose, and now my chin and forehead.
    I have to keep a beard all year round because I get red bumps if I shave.
    I'm not sure if this means anything, but the redness on my cheeks goes into my beard area along my jawline.
    Furthermore, I'm more red in the areas where there's more hair follicles grouped together (I have white patches where there's no/minimal hair growth).
    Basically, the patchy parts of my beard are the least inflamed parts of my face.
    The redness around each individual hair follicle isn't raised or bumpy.

Every derm/doctor I've seen just tells me that my redness is rosacea, but it honestly seems like I'm battling at least two or three conditions.
    It makes it confusing to treat
    So tough to distinguish right? I'm no doctor, I would just go by the type of questions the long term members on the KPRF forums pose to newbies, like if there is either rosacea or KP in your family (for you yes to both), if you also have normal KP on your arms etc (yes, would point towards KP), if you also flush and have redness on the nose/chin (yes, would point towards rosacea), if you have p&p's (would point towards rosacea, unless they are actually small KP eruptions... tricky). And if the redness is clearly defined from other pale skin on the face (usually pale chin, nose, forehead). Do you have a very even redtone on your cheeks (KP) or is it blotchy (rosacea)? Is there a white are ain the middle of the redness (KP indication)? Startng at puberty would indicate more KP again, although there have been people here who had rosacea from the onset of teenage years, but it is a lot more rare so young.
    Given your chin, nose and forehead are also red at times, I would carefully lean towards rosacea perhaps? In that blog post I also added pictures of KPRF patients, versus rosacea. Might that help you?
    And what does your derm think of it?
    best wishes

Sorry I was too fast, your derm thinks rosacea.. Maybe the fact that you have more redness around the hair follicles might be another KP symptom? It seems you have symptoms from both diseases, how hard to figure out what is what :/