Thread: Partial Success/ improvement.

Default Partial Success/ improvement.

Greetings. I wanted to share my recent experiences with those here, many of whom suffer from similar symptoms as I do/did.

I suffer from flushes, panic attacks and worse, the burning red face of doom. Well the panic attacks, they are triggered by being in an enclosed space, worrying about flushing, and therefore triggering an attack. I really don't have much of a solution for that yet, except Anthony Robbin's idea of 'breaking the cycle' and doing something crazy like jumping around like a jackass when I feel one coming on.

However, the biggest improvement would be from the evening/warm room flushes I would get every eveing around 5pm-7pm from September to May. Really annoying, and almost crippling, as my face was burning hot and uncomfortable. I used to keep my office cold, had little fans on all my desks, drank cold drinks, anything to keep the flushing away. Well the clue came in the fact that I only had this problem in the cool months. During the summer I had no issues at all, and could comfortably go to dinner with people, or whatever. Still, had it only been during times when I was outside in the cold (I'm in Canada), I would have clued in much quicker, but I could be in the house, in the exact same temperature, and it would still happen, come 5pm. I considered packing everything up and moving to someplace warm. However, I happend to google 'warm room flush' and that made all the difference in the world.

Neropeptides, something that can build up in the body, were responsible. Because I was keeping myself cold (fans, t-shirts, etc), even in cool weather, I was tricking my body into thinking I was freezing, and storing up neropeptides. By 5pm, the system got tired of storing them up, and released them in a huge flush. Same for a panic trigger, it would release this hue store of neropeptides and turn me almost purple.

I was quite skeptical, but I did what was recommended, I wore multiple layers of clothes, even if I was going to be indoors all day. Thermal shirts under sweaters, heavy pants, etc. I also went to hot drinks such as green tea (I never drank any hot drinks for fear of triggering a flush), and turning up the thermostat at home, in the car, and at the office. I also eat hot peppers at lunch (which is hard on the stomach, but does help release any stored neropeptides).

I can't believe it, but that simple change, which I started in October of this month, after the 5pm flush started (and my wife came in and said "oh, I didn't know there was a lot of sun out today"). I can say that it has been a 99.9% success. The warm room flush is gone, and I even went to my kid's christmas play at the school (which I never could have done before).

I do have some small visible veins, which I hope to take care of with light pulse treatment now that I know what the cause of the flushing and extensive network of veins to appear. I post this here, and I will link to the original article at the bottom, but I can say without question that it absolutely, 100% helped me. I know it won't work for everyone, but if I can help one person, I will fell like a million dollars. Feel free to ask any questions, as I can't believe that all my troubles could have been avoided by dressing warmer. The panic attacks even stem from a situation years ago, sitting around a table with some guys in a warehouse, and I thought they were playing poker, but they were playing euchre, and when they all turned at me and started laughing (not mean, just it put the instant attention on me), I remember flushing and not knowing what was going on...I had to walk to that job from the bus about 4 blocks away, and I used to wear just a t-shirt and a leather jacket, so of course I was storing up neropeptides! Anyways, I digress...

Here is the link to the original study that helped me so much. I look forward to learning about the light treatment from those that have done it, so I'm glad I found this forum. I just wanted to share

*** oops, not allowed to post links, so just google WARM ROOM FLUSH it will be under the rosacea support group site from Australia.

Hi

A funny coincidence, but I was reading the article you are talking about just this morning. It's actually been around for a couple of years now and I first read it in 2008 I believe.

Right now I'm the same as you were- always looking for ways to keep cool, and I'm finding it really difficult to overcome the instinct to keep my environment cold. I like to sleep in a cool room, and usually have my window wide open even in the winter, so the temperature in my room can drop to lower than 12 degrees C. I dress lightly, and always try to avoid having the big fires lit. This winter I'm experiencing a lot of redness, which I really hate. I have a couple of IPLs each year, but would like to increase my tolerance to warm temperatures and hopefully lessen the redness that way. I'm scared I won't be able to enjoy a foreign holiday ever again without burning and flushing...so I really want to conquer this!

A couple of question for you:

Did you experience flushing and redness when you first started to modify your environment? The moment I start warming up, I panic and have this overwhelming desire to find somewhere cool to retreat to. I feel anxious in warm places!

Have you got any noticeable redness now? The study says that redness can be reduced by becoming tolerant of warm temps.

Thanks! So glad you have found improvement.
    (p.s. sorry if this is incoherent...it's late and I'm very tired!)

Quote Originally Posted by sparrow-legs View Post
    Hi

A funny coincidence, but I was reading the article you are talking about just this morning. It's actually been around for a couple of years now and I first read it in 2008 I believe.

Right now I'm the same as you were- always looking for ways to keep cool, and I'm finding it really difficult to overcome the instinct to keep my environment cold. I like to sleep in a cool room, and usually have my window wide open even in the winter, so the temperature in my room can drop to lower than 12 degrees C. I dress lightly, and always try to avoid having the big fires lit. This winter I'm experiencing a lot of redness, which I really hate. I have a couple of IPLs each year, but would like to increase my tolerance to warm temperatures and hopefully lessen the redness that way. I'm scared I won't be able to enjoy a foreign holiday ever again without burning and flushing...so I really want to conquer this!

A couple of question for you:

Did you experience flushing and redness when you first started to modify your environment? The moment I start warming up, I panic and have this overwhelming desire to find somewhere cool to retreat to. I feel anxious in warm places!

Have you got any noticeable redness now? The study says that redness can be reduced by becoming tolerant of warm temps.

Thanks! So glad you have found improvement.
    (p.s. sorry if this is incoherent...it's late and I'm very tired!)

To be honest, it was absolutely against everything I thought was right...being warm, especially at the office where it would normally be a trigger for me (I always had to be out of there by 5 or so...or try to sneak out bright red!), is now 22 or 23 degrees at all time. I moved away from the window, and got a car with heated seats, heated steering wheel and a dual - temp setting (which used to be cold for me, warm for my passenger), so I can keep the drivers seat at 25 deg. That, along with the thermal shirts (and thermal leggings on really cold days) has made a HUGE difference. Right now it's 7pm, I've been more or less in and out of the cold all day, and I'm fine. Now if I had a huge glass of wine right now, I'd likely get some flushing, but that's common for a lot of people anyway. I keep a water dispenser here at my home office, one that has a warm setting, and I just keep pouring myself decaf green tea all night...well tonight I might go have a few beers, but most nights it's green tea, just keeping my core temp up.

I had honestly tried everything except going to a doctor (I have a bit of a fear of doctors, and a definite aversion to drugs), and even though I am a huge believer in the power of the mind, the 5pm flush wasn't psychological, it just hit all winter, almost every single day. I should mention that I too avoided rooms with fireplaces and heat sources. A few times when I had to go do something in the evening, I had tried cold showers, strenuous exercise, hot tub, standing in the cold, not drinking alcohol, etc etc.

So while this is not 100%, I would say it's 90%+ better. What really got me was that after the 'big flush' at 5, and as long as I didn't get myself worked up or anxious, it would be gone by 7 or so, and I would be fine the rest of the evening. So that, and the fact that I don't get it at all in the summer, made me think that the neropeptides theory made a lot of sense.

As for redness, there is still some, and as I said I still have anxiety triggers that I more or less try to avoid (specifically well lit rooms with tons of people in with me, and no real way to escape if needed). However, I have to say that I have had luck with oxymetazoline (in the form of visine of all things) on VERY rare occasions, if I have to be in front of a lot of people. But I think that reduction in the frequency of flushing (I haven't had a burning hot one for pretty much the whole winter now that I can recall), and looking into light therapy to destroy the overactive network of veins, will have me at 99.9% functionality within a year.

We have had a much colder winter than last winter, and for me not to be flushing? I would not have believed it if I wasn't living it.