Thread: Persistant and bad P&P outbreaks on forehead, what can I do about it?

Default Persistant and bad P&P outbreaks on forehead, what can I do about it?

Hi all,

I am really sorry if this is the wrong place for this topic, but I thought it would be best placed in the topical section.
    I am a flusher and have the vascular rosacea type for more then 10 years now, but lately am dealing with stubborn p&p outbreaks on mainly my forehead. It's quite bad actually. I had it last winter too for some months, and used my metronidazolcream, but that seemed to make it worse and trigger more p&p's (?).
    I have had the same problems again since this fall, and I use zinc cream now on the p&p's, but it has little effect. My forehead is actually dry and burning a bit and there are small, red dots spreading all over the place, going away and popping up on different places again or just staying where they are. Many have little white 'heads', but not like the big ones acne give. When I remove them, I get even more p&p's in the area around it, sight... : (
    I used bactroban antibiotic cream lately, which seemed to help for some days, but I have worse outbreaks now. I feel the antibiotic in my system might cause this, but am not sure.

My question: I am totally unfamiliar with the papular rosacea. What would be the best to use? Finacea? Is there something else? The skin seems fragile and dry and easily inflamened. When I use diluted jojoba oil on it, I get more P&P's. I only wash it with bottled water, perhaps I need to wash it with a cleanser? But my skin is highly allergic, so what would be the best way to treat this you guys think?

So:
    *topical for p&p's
    *moisturizer (?) for acne prone and dry skin?
    *do I need a cleanser?

Thanks so much for any imput.

Natalja

Natalja

Sorry about this development. I have noticed that with this harsh winter weather the drier my skin is the more papules/flushing I get. I am therefore experiencing a similar dilemma to you-i cant easily moisturise but I feel my skin needs it.

When I asked Dr Chu about moisturisers he recommended neutrogena or eucerin. I found that I couldnt use either. However I do find that I can tolerate Simple moisturiser if I dont use it for more than 2 days. This seems to allow the papules to heal and lessen.

I dont dare use anything else.

Hope this helps

Sarah

Quote Originally Posted by nataljaoo View Post
    Hi all,

I am really sorry if this is the wrong place for this topic, but I thought it would be best placed in the topical section.
    I am a flusher and have the vascular rosacea type for more then 10 years now, but lately am dealing with stubborn p&p outbreaks on mainly my forehead. It's quite bad actually. I had it last winter too for some months, and used my metronidazolcream, but that seemed to make it worse and trigger more p&p's (?).
    I have had the same problems again since this fall, and I use zinc cream now on the p&p's, but it has little effect. My forehead is actually dry and burning a bit and there are small, red dots spreading all over the place, going away and popping up on different places again or just staying where they are. Many have little white 'heads', but not like the big ones acne give. When I remove them, I get even more p&p's in the area around it, sight... : (
    I used bactroban antibiotic cream lately, which seemed to help for some days, but I have worse outbreaks now. I feel the antibiotic in my system might cause this, but am not sure.

My question: I am totally unfamiliar with the papular rosacea. What would be the best to use? Finacea? Is there something else? The skin seems fragile and dry and easily inflamened. When I use diluted jojoba oil on it, I get more P&P's. I only wash it with bottled water, perhaps I need to wash it with a cleanser? But my skin is highly allergic, so what would be the best way to treat this you guys think?

So:
    *topical for p&p's
    *moisturizer (?) for acne prone and dry skin?
    *do I need a cleanser?

Thanks so much for any imput.

Natalja
    Hi Natalja,

I don't know if this is helpful for you, but for myself I noticed I experienced terrible P&P's on my forehead from a particular food trigger. For me, it was lots of grain-based foods like breads, crackers, etc. Is there a particular food or food type you've eaten more of lately?
    Types I, II, IV - mild to moderate, depending ...

Thanks Bellableu, not really... although I do notice the bumps on the forehead react very quick and quite vile sometimes to foods; I ate cashew nuts last week, and within some hours my forehead started to burn and itch and I got lots of red spots. The same with the corn (polenta) I ate a few days ago, i normally never eat that, and neither the nuts. But in general I stick to the gluten free, dairy free diet with lots of veggies and some fruits and brown rice or potatoe or yam and lean meat. Hasn't changed for many years now.

I cheered too soon about the clearance also, btw... : (
    I do think the ketoconazol cream helps a bit, but there are p&p's and rashes returning for some time now.
    I see my dermatologist next week for it and see if he can help, and prescribe me something. I am still wondering if this might come from the remeron I use. But then... I have used it for 5 years now, and this outbreak is only recent. And limited mostly to the forehead, and an occasional one on my cheeks. I would think that if it were a reaction to a medication, it would spread more widely, over the full face at least?.....?

Will ask the derm this as well..

thanks for all the imput!

Best of luck for all, Natalja