Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: V-Beam Hyperpigmentation Information

If you dont mind I am just going to answer the questions (a little short of time):

1) How would you describe your hyperpigmentation? (color, size etc.)
    2) When did you realize you had hyperpigmentation?
    3) Derm's info regarding hyperpigmentation (solutions, dangers etc.)
    4) How long did your hyperpigmentation take to resolve?
    5) Did you do anything to speed up the fading process?
    1) It was the exact size of the laser and where it hit. Colour a reddy brown eventually fading to a golden brown before disappearing
    2) a few weeks after pulse dye laser treatment
    3) didnt ask specifically-from past discussions knew it would fade on own.
    4) Not sure 100% but would say about 2 months.
    5) No just left it but kept well moisturised.

Hope this helps. Please take heart-nothing stays the same. Your skin will heal and you will move on.

Best wishes

Sarah

Thanks for your input Phlika, very much appreciated!

Wow! Only two months to fade!? That's amazing, and from what I gather a rather speedy recovery regarding hyperpigmentation, I can only pray mine heals as fast! (Doubtful)

That's exactly what mine looks like too though - reddish brown. But what's weird is like, it's only half the bruise. The other half faded normally and I can tell that it even reduced the pinkness that was there beforehand. But this other half that isn't fading, well it's still more noticeably red/brown then before treatment, when it was just pink. This kind of makes me nervous, but I suppose only half the area of skin held on to the iron.

I haven't officially been diagnosed with hyperpigmentation, but I can only assume it's that. I mean, for it to be redder from more blood vessels make no sense, the laser blew them up. For it to be melanin - I guess it's a possibility, but I don't see how the v-beam would PUT melanin in. The most logical answer is what WC is saying, and what I've heard around the web, that it is iron deposits from the exploded vessels.

I am wondering if I should get a conservative v-beam treatment next month, in hopes that it doesn't rupture new vessels but rather breaks up this pigment/iron to speed the fading, but the LAST thing I want to do is make it worse.

Anyways, thanks again for contributing, and if you have any advice or comments when you have more time, feel free to write back! It means a LOT to me

I didn't want this thread to get lost

So anyone else have hyperpigmentation following purpuric v-beam? What is a realistic time from to expect to see it fade?

Hi Littlebitworried!

I don't blame you for stressing out about this. It is a big deal. AND, I went through the same exact thing exactly 4 months ago. Here is what I can share from my experience.

I had a purpuric Vbeam for minor redness of rosacea. Immediately after the procedure, my flushing was way down and the brusiing was fading quite nicely. However, about 3 weeks out, the bruises stopped fading and I was left with this reddish brown marks in every spot that the laser hit. Plus, I had terrible terrible rebound flushing.

My derm told me the brown would fade, but I really had a hard time dealing with it. I kicked myself everyday for having done this. My redness and flushing wasn't that bad - so I should have stuck to the non-purpuric Vbeams.

Anyway - here is what I can say. At 4 months out, the red/brown has definitely faded. I would say that I am about 70-80% clear. Y ou can still see the borders and the marks where it hit...but I can now wear normal make-up and it barely shows. Before, I had to wear dermablend.

The puzzling thing is that now that the brown is fading....I am still left with red marks. I am not sure that this will fade. The red is not from rosacea, b/c it is in the same exact funky pattern that the laser hit. My derm told me not to worry, because additional VBeam lasers will treat the red marks. But, that I need the brown to go away first. They claim that additional Vbeam lasers will make the brown worse.

So - be careful. Don't just rush into additional Vbeam lasers without knowing what you have. If you have iron deposits in the skin (hemosiderin staining) - then additional vbeam lasers will work. However, if you have post-inflammatory hyperpigmentation (which is what I had) then additional lasers can cause more inflammation and make it worse!! It won't always make it worse, but it CAN make it worse.

I have decided to just let my skin heal. I stopped using all products on my face and I will not do another laser until all the brown is gone. One more interesting point, my redness has started to fade recently once I stopped putting skin bleaching creams on my face (hydroquinone).

I hope that helps! Please know that you are not alone. I have been there and am still there and I know it sucks!!! And, when it's your face, its impossible not to stress about it. But, the two other members are right....when you can just relax, it's amazing how time flies and your skin heals.

Also - try not to look for improvement week to week. Instead, pick a day of the month and take a picture. Then wait exactly one more month and take another pictures. You will be amazed how much you will change in that timeframe. And, that will boost your confidence!

Hang in there!

Wow, thanks for the encouraging response jlb2010!

I am glad to hear your issue is slowly resolving - it is a tough wait. I am just slightly over 7 weeks now since the time of the treatment, and though I would like to think I am seeing it fade slightly, I cannot be 100% sure. Day to day, there really is no change, however when I reflect on how I remember the marks looking roughly 5 weeks ago to what I see now, then I kind of think it's fading. I just hate the thought of my eyes tricking me since I am somewhat used to the mark now.

I have another derm appointment in about 2 weeks, but I am thinking I won't do another v-beam treatment just yet, even if gentle, and I'll probably just give the marks more time. I am wondering about what is causing the "stains" but can really only come to one conclusion: iron deposits. For it to be even more blood vessels giving more color makes no sense (they were blasted). For it to be melanin, yes it's possible, however they aren't really brown, more pinkish/reddish/brown (which is what most people describe). Also, the v-beam breaks pigment, so for it to put pigment in sort of doesn't really make sense, but I guess anything is possible.

I also found hydroquinone to be very irritating to my skin when I used it a long time ago. Can I ask though, how would you describe the process of your marks fading? Was there a period of time where you doubted they would ever fade or were fading at all? Was it a fairly linear process or did things seem to pick up pace over time? etc etc

Thank you for your responses

To those who have dealt with hyperpigmentation following purpuric v-beam treatments, how would you describe the color progression in terms of the fading of the marks? I am now around 2 and a half months out from my treatment and though I believe the marks have slightly faded, they are still quite brownish/pink and quite noticeable, to me at least. Have any of you found it to be the same at around this point after a treatment? Any thoughts or advice or just experiences would be really great.

Lilbitworried,

I am sorry for not responding sooner - but I was on vacation, etc.

Your question about how the pigmentation faded is a good one... I think mine faded gradually. The best thing I did was take pictures on the same day of each month (so, October 5th, Nov 5th, Dec 5th, etc). Then I could see with my own eyes that it truly had faded. I think the fact that you are looking at it everyday, it doesn't seem to fade - but it is.

I am still waiting for my cheeks to fully dissappear...but my forehead is gone...and once it faded to a light color - it then just magically disappeared before I even realized it. I am waiting for that to happen with my cheeks (coming up on 5 months).

It is to the point now where I can still see it...but the borders are much more mottled and less defined. I do think it will take about 9 months for mine to fully dissappear (but I had very severe hyperpigmentation).

If you send me your email address - I'd be happy to send you photo's as mine progressed.

Trust me - it will fade.... now that mine is almost gone, I am much more confident that it will fully go away.... but let me tell you - this has been a nightmare of a process and I'll never do it again.

Good luck!

Thanks jlb2010, and no worries about the delayed response.

I am just worried (wow I really did choose such a good username lol) that it won't fade much more as it is so painfully slow moving forward and the changes seem so minimal even after more than 2 months. Some days I am convinced it is much fainter, and then other days I feel like reality hits or maybe i was delusional and that it really hasn't.

I mean, I don't know how to describe the mark at this point - the color seems more pink then brown, but in some lights the brown is more apparent. However, I do think it is some sort of stain in the skin and not from blood vessels because now when I rub or scratch it (even somewhat forcefully) it does not "flare up" and turn bright red. Assuming it is a stain, then I only know of two things - pigment and hemosiderin deposits. However, it really isn't brown enough for me to think that it is pigment.

I really just hate this process, and am considering another gentle v-beam treatment if it still looks the same at 6 months. I just want to know FOR SURE that yes it is fading, but honestly, I am not 100% sure.

Hey everyone,

just an update: I am now 14 weeks post purpuric v-beam treatment (so around 3 and a half months) and I am still "hyperpigmented". I can't really say how much it has faded, as I analyze it way too much, BUT if I had to guess I'd say somewhere along the lines of 30%. This sucks as I hear some people say they are 80% clear after 4 months or so.

I am pretty sure these 'stains' are hemosiderin deposits in the skin because the color matches the description: reddish/brown. I just want to know, should I be really worried now? I don't care if it doesn't fade 100%, but I would definitely like it to still fade more. I feel like the changes are so slow, no change day to day, little to no change week to week it feels, I only picture it fainter when I imagine how it started 3 and a half months ago. Is this how it felt for you guys to who dealt with this?

I hear some people here say that a gentle v-beam treatment would help break up the hemosiderin deposits and fade it, but I am cautious. I realllllyyyy just want to let it fade naturally, but as more and more time passes, I get more and more desperate. Any suggestions or comments? It would really help. Thanks

Default Hyperpigmentation

Hi,

I am new to this forum. I found it and signed up because I am 13 days post a V-Beam Purpura treatment and as I am all covered with dots still, I was beginning to do some research as to why.
    I have red hair and an overall reddish face...generalized rosacea I suppose. I saw a respected and recommended dermatologist here in Portland Oregon with my concern being the increased redness in my face. He said that V-Beam at the setting that is used to address Port Wine Stains was the only laser and setting that would address this redness. He said the bruising would take about 7 days to heal and he did not mention the strong liklihood hyperpigmentation.
    He was way off on the bruising, I think...I still have a couple of red spots but until the last day or so I was considering the spots I still have bruises. I am thinking now that they are largely the hyperpigmentation I am reading about. This is pretty unfortunate because I was hoping to have an improved complexion, not a worse one.
    I am certainly going to look into treatments to remove the hyperpigmentation. This is not acceptable and cannot be covered with makeup.
    Any information around treatments for this and or more feedback as to how long it will take to fade is much appreciated.

Thank you,