Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Inactive members last posts the key to effective Rosacea treatments?

Default Inactive members last posts - the key to effective Rosacea treatments?

I had an interesting thought the other day about how to compile the most effective rosacea treatments.

I discovered a while ago that you could click on a persons profile name and see all their posts. This is useful if you are reading a post where they are trying a treatment, but the post is old and you want to know how they got on.

Occasionally, I would come across a user where they would rave about something and when you checked to see if they were still active, they weren't - hopefully meaning that they had continued success!

Of course, there have been many, many occasions when I see they had only recently posted and it clearly hadn't worked for them, but the thread had never been updated.

Lets take an example: IowaDavid

Here is a post from him back on the 5th January 2006.

If you click on his name:

You will get a list of his recent posts:

The last of which is dated 11th June 2008

I would hope this is an indication that the RLT is still working very successfully for him and he doesn't feel the need to come back on here and ask further advice.

Now, this would not be an easy feat and I may well be missing the point, but I thought i'd throw it out there as an idea.

We could then even create a survey, like i've done with the RLT (http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/TDFK7LV) to gauge the effectiveness of these treatments as rosaceans use them, leaving valueable information for future rosaceans. Part of this process could entail emailing these people and ask how they are getting on.

Let me be straight. This forum has been so, so helpful and continues to be! I am just thinking of ways to enhance that even further if possible...

A nice idea! Fancy computer skills too!

David, as well as being a delightful and innovative young gentleman, was also an artist by temperament and his decision to bow out on exactly 1000posts was surely motivated by aesthetic considerations..but yep.

Another member, Fut, once remarked that the (successful) use of red light had caused a downturn in participation. I'm not certain about; people stop posting for any number of reasons.

Yet the example of David, a red light light user, is illuminating. Red light rarely leads to complete remission but when it works it surely brings the user a peculiar sense of control over his symptoms that occasional laser treatments or prescription medications can never bring...and a feeling of lack of control - of desperation we might say - is one of the causes of (intensive) forum use. Have you tried this? What about that? What about the other? etc

Thumbs down

Quote Originally Posted by GJ View Post
    A nice idea! Fancy computer skills too!

David, as well as being a delightful and innovative young gentleman, was also an artist by temperament and his decision to bow out on exactly 1000posts was surely motivated by aesthetic considerations..but yep.

Another member, Fut, once remarked that the (successful) use of red light had caused a downturn in participation. I'm not certain about; people stop posting for any number of reasons.

Yet the example of David, a red light light user, is illuminating. Red light rarely leads to complete remission but when it works it surely brings the user a peculiar sense of control over his symptoms that occasional laser treatments or prescription medications can never bring...and a feeling of lack of control - of desperation we might say - is one of the causes of (intensive) forum use. Have you tried this? What about that? What about the other? etc
    Very true on all counts.

RLT was just an example, but on the subject, the reason I created a survey is because I wanted to try and figure out why some have great success and others not so much. This could be due to a number of variables, which the survey explores, e.g. distance from face, duration etc. Whilst a survey cannot cover ALL the variables, I think it could help determine at least some.

To put it in another light it would be like doing a survey on the effectiveness of doxycyline - dose (low being timed released 40mg - Oracea) against syptoms before and after, length of time to work, other medications, skin type etc...

Its a complication that people leave the forum for all sorts of reasons, but I still think it would be worth while and could turn up some interesting results. Especially if you could measure subject (i.e. RLT) vs number of inactive members last posts (over 1 year old for example.

E.g. (all members inactive 1 year or more)

Last thread subject:
    RLT: 576 posts
    Vitamin D: 423 posts
    'X' cleasner: 323 posts

The BIG problem is that you probably couldn't possibly hope to get an accurate picture like this because in the case of IowaDavid, we were lucky his last post mentioned RLT. Someone might have stayed on the forum to find out about clearing up that persistent redness having had major success with RLT!

So, in conclusion, maybe an all round better way to go is to create a meaningful survey (like the RLT mentioned in my first post) and try and get as many responses as possible.

Default Why the posting has dropped

I'm not certain about; people stop posting for any number of reasons.
    I have wondered about this same phenomenon as well and have written an editorial on the subject. My guess is that these forums have lost their appeal to the vast majority of internet users with the advent of the social networking sites like Facebook, Twitter, and MySpace, etc., not to mention YouTube. These forums have dramatically lost their appeal. However this forum remains the most popular nevertheless with about 533 active members.
    Brady Barrows
    Join the RRDi

Quote Originally Posted by Brady Barrows View Post
    I have wondered about this same phenomenon as well and have written an editorial on the subject. My guess is that these forums have lost their appeal to the vast majority of internet users with the advent of the social networking sites like Facebook, Twitter, and MySpace, etc., not to mention YouTube. These forums have dramatically lost their appeal. However this forum remains the most popular nevertheless with about 533 active members.
    Hmm, it would be interesting to see what the stats were like before social networking became as widespread as it is.

The disadvantage of a forum over sites like twitter or YouTube is the forum is not immediate. You post and you wait for a response for sometime...often if your looking for info there are several threads often containing many posts to read through.

Too time consuming for many Internet uses.

The BIG advantage is the personal approach and there are many experiences to be sought as everyone has something in common.

Default Online Rosacea Groups

The activity has dropped dramatically since the advent of the social networking sites and the number of active members continues to drop even in this forum. For example, in 2008 this forum had 562 active members which was 4% of the total membership (13,777). In 2009 the membership of this forum increased to 15,675 while the active members declined to 465 or about 3% of the total. On October 21, 2010 the membership increased to 17,850 and the number of active members dropped to 488 or about 2.7% of the total. Today the membership is 18,901 but there is slight increase in active members which now totals 535 which is 2.8%. The number of active members fluctuates some but the general trend is increasing membership yet activity decreases. Some of the members are obviously spammers which the moderators keep control of. But you can obviously see a dramatic decrease in activity since the advent of the social networks. This goes for all online rosacea groups. I have kept a record of the stats on the three largest rosacea online groups and this trend is across the board. This one is still the most active and the number of posts is the proof.

The other argument that activity ceases is that once a rosacean gets his rosacea under control he stops posting. This seems a reasonable assumption since you demonstrated this in your initial post of this thread with the example IowaDavid.
    Last edited by Brady Barrows; 13th January 2011 at 08:14 AM. Reason: spelling error corrected
    Brady Barrows
    Join the RRDi

Quote Originally Posted by Brady Barrows View Post
    The activity has dropped dramatically since the advent of the social networking sites and the number of active members continues to drop even in this forum. For example, in 2008 this forum had 562 active members which was 4% of the total membership (13,777). In 2009 the membership of this forum increased to 15,675 while the active members declined to 465 or about 3% of the total. On October 21, 2010 the membership increased to 17,850 and the number of active members dropped to 488 or about 2.7% of the total. Today the membership is 18,901 but there is slight increase in active members which now totals 535 which is 2.8%. The number of active members fluctuates some but the general trend is increasing membership yet activity decreases. Some of the members are obviously spammers which the moderators keep control of. But you can obviously see a dramatic decrease in activity since the advent of the social networks. This goes for all online rosacea groups. I have kept a record of the stats on the three largest rosacea online groups and this trend is across the board. This one is still the most active and the number of posts is the proof.

The other argument that activity ceases is that once a rosacean gets his rosacea under control he stops posting. This seems a reasonable assumption since you demonstrated this in your initial post of this thread with the example IowaDavid.
    Hi,

Taking out the increasing membership, overall from 562 to 535, that is not that bigger drop. I understand what your saying about membership, but wouldn't people who register always be members (even years after their last post) unless the expressly take action to close their membership?

Another point to explore is the advent of stickies, such as "most effective rosacea treatments" lots of people are probably finding effective solutions quicker.

In many ways, social networking just wouldnt be as effective as forums and articles as not many rosaceans would post a video of their experience and I couldn't see many posting for advice on facebook and twitter. It's too public in the sense that many probably don't want to shout about their experience to friends and family.

It would be interesting - and I use that term fairly loosely - to look at the (change in) the number of folks simply looking in (browsers, lurkers, parasites) as opposed to those participating or signing-up.

As you imply moore, the stickies and sub-divisions make this place as much a readily navigated information resource as a place for discussion. Questions need not be asked if answers can be easily found.

Brady, there is this happy idea that folk tend to deploy a certain number of words each day. It goes, I think, as a general rule: Males 804, Females 64006. You could be right, folk are using up their words on Facebook or whatever and have nothing left to give elsewhere (though they may well still be browsing.)

Brady, there is this happy idea that folk tend to deploy a certain number of words each day. It goes, I think, as a general rule: Males 804, Females 64006. You could be right, folk are using up their words on Facebook or whatever and have nothing left to give elsewhere (though they may well still be browsing.)
    Good point GJ! I wonder then if you are able to measure, Brady, the number of uses that just browse?

Quote Originally Posted by moore778899 View Post
    Hi,
    ... I couldn't see many posting for advice on facebook and twitter. It's too public in the sense that many probably don't want to shout about their experience to friends and family.
    I so agree with this!