Thread: Seborrhoeic Dermatitis - What Worked For Me - Try It

Default Seborrhoeic Dermatitis - What Worked For Me - Try It

History:
    I first started showing symptoms around 13 years old. It started around my nose, just little flakes and redness. It got worse towards the end of high school and peaked in college. At this point it had spread from my nose, to my forehead, to my eyebrows, to my chin, to above my lip, to my scalp, to my earlobes, and finally to my ear canal. Some of the flare ups I had are as bad as some of the worst pictures you will see on the internet. I wouldnít go to class and/or work for days because I didnít want to be seen. I went to 2 different dermatologists and had tried probably around 10 different prescription medicines. Enough about me though, Iím sure youíre much more interested in how I treated it.

Treatment:
    My first glimmer of hope came when my dermatologist gave me a new medicine (not really new anymore) called EXTINA which contains the antifungal Ketoconazole. Please donít stop reading if you have tried Extina and it didnít solve your problems. I originally used Extina whenever I had a breakout and it helped it calm down in a day or two. Then I started using it almost daily to try and prevent breakouts. It worked okay, but I felt it only controlled my SD 75% and I wanted something 95%. Specifically whenever I shaved my face I still had redness and shedding around my beard and mustache area still for 2-3 days.

My girlfriend gave me the idea to try regular skin products (exfoliating and moisturizing). She recommended Clinique, which I always thought was only for women. However, to my surprise they have a whole line for men also. I was scared to try this because I didnít want to do anything to trigger a breakout. However, she was right and this has since become a big part of my treatment. I DO NOT do the full 3-step system because I found that the Liquid Face Wash DID caused flare ups.

The rest of my treatment has come from many hours of searching the internet to find something that sounded promising. I soon came to realize that the majority of the problem came from my scalp. Dandruff would fall from my scalp onto my face (even if you donít see it, itís happening), or I would touch my hair then touch my face. Since high school I used head and shoulders, but that wasnít enough. My dermatologist had me use 4 different prescription shampoos, none of them helped. With the knowledge that Extina worked on my face I did a search for a shampoo with Ketoconazole and this brought me to NIZORAL which is Ketoconazole 1% shampoo. This shampoo has completely cleared my scalp and is over-the-counter.

Shaving was the last piece to the puzzle for me. My face would always become irritated after shaving and I would often get flare ups. I thought since Gillette was the biggest shaving product company that their shave gel was the best. Boy was I wrong! I switched from Gillette to Aveeno and half of my shaving problems went away. The other problem was aftershave. At first I used Gillette and then my girlfriend gave me Burberry (designer) aftershave. The Burberry stuff made my skin oily, which was definitely not good (and itís expensive). Finally I started using the Clinique Post-Shave Healer which has worked as well as I could have asked.

Routine:
    1. DAILY - Showering is a must. I usually rinse my face with regular warm water (shouldnít be too hot as hot water will dry out your skin). Never use regular soap on your face. I used to shower in the morning, but have found that showering at night before bed works better for me, however, either is fine.
    2. DAILY - For shampoo I use Nizoral 2-3 times a week, Head and Shoulders 2-3 times a week, and medicated Selsun Blue 2-3 times a week. I donít really like the Selsun Blue, but for now thatís what Iíve been doing. Nizoral is the most important of these 3, but you probably shouldnít be using it daily.
    3. TWICE DAILY Ė Morning and night I use Clinique. I exfoliate with Scruffing Lotion 2.5 (though I do want to try 1.5). You apply this to a cotton ball and make sure to do your whole face. When you are done you will see the cotton ball color is grayish, this is all the dirt, oil, and dead skin that was cleaned from your face. Then I moisturize with M-Lotion. I use my fingers, but make sure you wash them with soap first so they are clean. This will keep your skin from flaking. PLEASE NOTE I also tried the Clinique Liquid Face Wash, but this caused a flare up. I DO NOT recommend using it.
    4. SHAVING Ė Do your shaving right after you take a shower. I personally shave once a week (because Iím lazy). I highly recommend using Aveeno Therapeutic Shave Gel. After you complete your shave you use the Clinique Scruffing Lotion, then the Clinique Post-Shave Healer, then the Clinique M-Lotion.
    5. WEEKLY Ė If I notice a little red spot on my face I will still put Extina on it just to be safe. This is maybe once or twice a week.
    6. WEEKLY Ė Hygiene is very very important. I recommend changing your pillow case at least once a week (Iím serious). If you shower in the morning and not at night you may want to even change your pillow case more often.
    7. DO NOT touch your face or scalp unless you have just washed your hands with soap.

Cost:
    Nizoral Shampoo - $14
    Clinique Scruffing Lotion 2.5 - $13
    Clinique M-Lotion - $21
    Aveeno Therapeutic Shave Gel - $5
    Clinique Post-Shave Healer - $18
    Extina (Perscription) Ė If you donít have good prescription coverage this can cost up to $350 or so. I would recommend asking your dermatologist for samples. My dermatologist gives me 3-4 samples every time I ask. Once your SD is under control you donít really need much of this.

Conclusion:
    This has worked very well for me. I have never been so happy with my skin. I hope that taking the time to write this up will help others in their fight. You may be able to use alternative products, but I would recommend starting with what I listed before trying cheaper alternatives. Please let me know (and others) how this works if you decide to try it. Good luck!
    Last edited by GAaron; 3rd January 2011 at 05:11 AM.