Thread: Diflucan - Safe?

Default Diflucan - Safe?

I'm pretty sure that my wife and I are passing a yeast infection back and forth. I don't have any symptoms that I am aware of but she has taken three different meds and hers clears each time only to reappear days later. I have read that it is common to pass the infection back and forth and since I took oracea for two years, I wouldn't doubt I have it.

Will Diflucan bother my skin at all?

Thanks

I recently took a one off dose and only experienced a very mild increase in redness, which was transitory. Have to keep in mind everything else I am taking of course.

I also took a one off dose while in NZ, in the absence of antibiotics and didn't notice any increase in rosacea symptoms.
    I have no idea what long term use might do.

There are several potent supplements you can both consider and treatment is usually long term. No one hit wonders for yeast infections either, unfortunately.
    Of course, one of the first steps, which you no doubt know is, cutting down significantly on carbs.
    Previous Numerous IPL.
    Supplements: Niacinamide, Vit K2, low D3, Vit A. Moderate Dose Vit C, Iodine, Taurine, Magnesium. Very low dose B's. Low dose zinc (to correct deficiency).
    Skin Care: No Cleanser, ZZ cream mixed with Niacinamide gel 4% and LMW HA 2%, ethyl ascorbate 2%.

Treating for gut dysbiosis.(This is helping).
    Previous GAPS diet. Have now introduced lots of fibre.
    Fermented Foods. Intermittent fasting -16-18 hours.
    Oral Colostrum. Helps reduce food reactions.

I've taken both Fluconazole and Sporanox in the past for the initial Seb derm yeast infection, and it didn't worsen my Rosacea symptoms when i took them.
    Shantelle

31 Year old female from NZ

So even after the Diflucan, I will always have the infection waiting to creep back through? How long would I need to cut carbs in order to make an impact? Would the impact only be temp. and return if I increased carbs?

When I took it it actually helped my rosacea because my seb derm calmed down.

shantelle,
    how was the results with Fluconazole and Sporanox please? and which treatment is the best ?
    thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by moi13 View Post
    shantelle,
    how was the results with Fluconazole and Sporanox please? and which treatment is the best ?
    thank you.
    Sporanox is inferior to Fluconazole mainly because it isn't absorbed as easilly and you can't have iron, calcium or antacids within 2 hrs of taking Sporanox (Itraconazole) which makes what you can eat to absorb the med difficult to decide on (pretty much fruit and carbs but a fatty meal is advised). Ideally, you are supposed to actually have orange juice to help absorb Itraconazole along with having a meal. See: http://www.dermnet.org.nz/treatments/itraconazole.html

Also, Fluconazole is way more powrful than Itraconazole, i.e. for most fungal infections, instead of taking 2x 100mg Sporanox a day for a week, you usually only need to take 1x Fluconazole 150mg ea week to get same benefit. My Dr is willing to prescribe Fluconazole if I ever need it again, and we actually gave up on Itraconazole.

As well, Fluconazole in my experience actually has a very positive effect on my Rosacea. Oral Terbinafine for example, exasberated my rosacea after a single dose so that was quickly stopped. Itraconazole doesn't seem to have any bonus anti-inflammatory effect for me in regards to either the SD or Rosacea. I don't know what it is about Fluconazole but it is the best of all the oral anti-fungals in my experience.

If you cannot tolerate topicals well then oral therapy is sometimes needed to get control of SD. I for one, cannot tolerate any of the topicals except Miconazole and that alone wasn't enough to get control of the inital flare I had early last yr.

One also has to look into other long-term options though, such as Ketaconazole shampoo on the face and scalp (make lather, leave for 3-5mins) if the Nizoral cream base ingreds are too irritating. DermaDoctor Born to Be Mild Cleanser (online) or Heads n Shoulders shampoo used on face and scalp (Zinc Pyrithrine in it helps kill SD) are also good long-term option but one needs to lather it with water to make a bubbly application and leave on the face for 3-5 mins to see cumulative effects. The cleanser is also somewhat drying so unless you have oily skin I would not recommend it.

Diet is a major thing to consider when trying to control SD long-term- cut out as much yeasty, sugary, processed and starchy foods as sensibly possible, and look into taking daily Probiotics.

I would also recommend sensible sun exposure (wear sunscreen) e.g. 10-15mins day to help kill the SD yeast, and halting any sort of topical moisturising agents seing that SD thrives in moist conditions.

You might already know all this info, but in case any newbies stumble across this thread I have reposted basic SD combat methods again.
    Shantelle

thanks for your advices
    actually I dont have rosacea, I have a SD on the face and I tried several topical treatments without success.
    I want to try oral treatments, so I want to try fluconazole
    is it dangerous ?
    and how you took it ( dosage and for how long you took it ? ) please
    thank you and sorry for my english.
    Last edited by moi13; 28th April 2011 at 04:33 PM.

Heya

Taking any sort of medication is a risk and that's why one must make themselves aware of all the side effects by asking the Pharmacist for a med info sheet (usually they give it to you with the prescription, but some don't). It's also a good idea to research the med before taking it and ask the DR or Derm to go over the risks vs benefit. Fluconazole may negatively impact your liver, so make sure your liver is ok before any treatment.

If SD is chronic and unresponsive to topical therapy the Derm or GP may prescribe it once or twice a month for you, but it would be advisable not to be on this longterm or rely on it alone to get control of the situation. I.E. You really need to trial topical Miconazole cream if you haven't already, which is excellent even for the most sensitve skin. And even if that cream fails to benefit by using this alone, it makes sense to keep using it in combination with occassional oral treatment and see if success is reached using both external and internal/oral methods. I was on pulsed oral and continual topical therapy for about 3 months early last year as my flare was rather bad (seeing the Derm had first thought it was only Rosacea and prescribed Metrogel and antibiotics, and then the next time I saw him a few weeks later SD had rapidly progressed and I was offically diagnosed having both conditions).

If your skin is oily and contributing to the SD not getting controlled, I think you might want to look into longterm options of decreasing oil production vs. on-going oral anti-fungal therapy. DermaDoctor Born to Be Mild Cleanser (online) is a good option for oily SD-prone skin. Females can look into anti-androgenic birth control pills such as Diane 35 or estelle 35, or oral Spironolactone, which all reduce oiliness making SD easier to control. As a last resort another option is Isotretinoin ultra, ultra low dose e.g. 10mg every 7-10 days for purposes of reducing seborrhea.
    Last edited by shantelle; 28th April 2011 at 09:54 PM.
    Shantelle

Quote Originally Posted by PharmacyRXS View Post
    Diflucan works best when the amount of medicine in your body is kept at a constant level. Do this by taking Diflucan at evenly spaced intervals. Take Diflucan as directed since different conditions require different methods of use. Diflucan is usually taken once daily. Another dosing method involves taking the drug for one week per month until treatment is completed. Continue to take Diflucan [link removed] until the full prescribed amount is finished even if symptoms disappear after a few days. Stopping Diflucan too early may allow the yeast to continue to grow resulting in a relapse of the infection.
    This is a very old thread. Hardly anyone discusses fluconazole anymore. It is amazing that you were able to post a spam link to a European online pharmacy on your first post which according to the rules you shouldn't be able to. I have notified the owner of RF.
    Brady Barrows
    Blog Join the RRDi