Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: My Rheumatologist is letting me try Mepacrine!

Congratz for gettin on the Plaquenil! You should start a thread as well, it's always nice seeing people's stories.

And yeah, it is way difficult to be patient. But patient I must be, haha..

Will update this at the 30 day mark!

So it's only been about a week since my last update, but gosh dang. I'm definitely glad I decided to stop everything but the quinacrine. It's made a huge difference. I'm sitting here in a 72 degree room and am not flushed in the slightest. Residual redness is down as well. The only thing I can really attribute it to is going off of everything. However, the humidity has recently started to shoot up which may have something to do with it.

But man, if this is after 5 days I can't wait to continue to do this. Wish me luck!

Hey, any updates?

Are you still having bad warm room flushing? I have this.. Bad. I think I may have found the solution though.. Don't use cold air like AC etc to try to keep your face cool. Do the opposite and try to stay warm, but not flushed. I've been doing this for the past couple work days(which are the worst)and it has really helped. I don't know what its going to be like when its 30 deg C outside, but I havent flushed for a few days and thats something for my situation for sure. My face will feel warm.. but not flushed. By the end of the day I notice my body went into cool down mode and the redness wasn't flushed, just baseline and calm. Try it out..

Are you in Canada by the way?

Here's a link to a interesting study on the matter..

http://rosacea-support.org/community...pic.php?t=2217

The link is on that page and its a PDF.

Nope. I live in Southern California.

As far as updates go..hm. I wish there was an easier way to explain all of this. It makes sense in my head but it's very hard to write down.

The quinacrine has definitely helped. It has not been a cure though. I still flush and have day to day redness. That's the basics.

Ive recently cut out milk completely from my diet. It's been about 2 weeks and during those two weeks I've accidently had a tiny bit of milk. I've cut down at least 99% though. This new diet has significantly helped reduce the miniature pimples I used to get around the mouth. They are almost completely gone in fact. It's been almost a week since I got one which is a huge relief.

The question now is whether or not those pimples are related to my rosacea. If they are then I'm optimistic about it affecting flushing down the road. It hasn't helped much in the redness or flushing department. So who knows.

About the PDF..that's one of the things that has helped me most in the past. Keep as warm as you can without flushing. It's a simple concept that everyone on these boards should know. It can and does definitely help!

Quote Originally Posted by Rand627 View Post
    Nope. I live in Southern California.

As far as updates go..hm. I wish there was an easier way to explain all of this. It makes sense in my head but it's very hard to write down.

The quinacrine has definitely helped. It has not been a cure though. I still flush and have day to day redness. That's the basics.

Ive recently cut out milk completely from my diet. It's been about 2 weeks and during those two weeks I've accidently had a tiny bit of milk. I've cut down at least 99% though. This new diet has significantly helped reduce the miniature pimples I used to get around the mouth. They are almost completely gone in fact. It's been almost a week since I got one which is a huge relief.

The question now is whether or not those pimples are related to my rosacea. If they are then I'm optimistic about it affecting flushing down the road. It hasn't helped much in the redness or flushing department. So who knows.

About the PDF..that's one of the things that has helped me most in the past. Keep as warm as you can without flushing. It's a simple concept that everyone on these boards should know. It can and does definitely help!
    Hi Rand627
    Glad Quinacrine is helping at least somewhat... and interesting to hear the no-milk thing is also helping rid the pimples!
    I just thought i'd mention it incase you haven't trialled or considered it just to see what happens, however many post-Accutane flushers also have SD that contibutes to the flushing (SD is also another side effect of Accutane so it is no wonder...). Have you ever trialled an anti-fungal cream like Miconazole for a week or two to see if it's definetly not a combo of SD and Rosacea?? Sometimes it hard to spot, i.e. I never got flakey skin... just a thought as might be something you want to rule out if you haven't already. The cream is really cheap so might be worth a trial.
    Keep us updated..

Shantelle
    Shantelle

31 Year old female from NZ

Huh. Does that stuff have any side effects? I'm actually leaving to the Eastern US and things are going to get harder to trial. But I still have 4 weeks left. Think I'd be able to tell in 2-3 weeks?

Huh. Does that stuff have any side effects? I'm actually leaving to the Eastern US and things are going to get harder to trial. But I still have 4 weeks left. Think I'd be able to tell in 2-3 weeks?
    Miconazole is good for super sensitive skin and i've had no side effects from it, so should be fine. Yeah probably in one - two weeks you'd know for sure... if the frequency and severity of flushing decreases alot over that time then you'll know if SD is also involved. It's worth a try... most of the acne.org post-Accutane long-term flushers suffer from SD as well as the Rosacea.
    Shantelle

Thanks a ton for the tip. It's available at a local shop for way cheap so I can definitely try it. Are there multiple different creams to try or is this basically it? I ask because I want to know if I can definitely rule out SD if it doesn't work.

Thanks again!

Oh, and one more thing. What strength do you use? It seems like 1.5 and 2% are pretty common.

And one..more more thing, haha. Just wanted to make sure this was the same stuff you're using.

http://www.amazon.com/Miconazole-Nit.../dp/B000RETQ04

says it's a cream so i think it is the same thing!
    Last edited by Rand627; 25th April 2011 at 05:33 AM.

Thanks a ton for the tip. It's available at a local shop for way cheap so I can definitely try it. Are there multiple different creams to try or is this basically it? I ask because I want to know if I can definitely rule out SD if it doesn't work.

Thanks again!

Oh, and one more thing. What strength do you use? It seems like 1.5 and 2% are pretty common.

And one..more more thing, haha. Just wanted to make sure this was the same stuff you're using.

http://www.amazon.com/Miconazole-Nit.../dp/B000RETQ04

says it's a cream so i think it is the same thing!
    First try Miconazole as it is the least irritating for sensitive skin out of all the topical anti-fungals in my experience. I used the 2% and applied twice daily - Example/pic see: https://sunshinepharmacy.co.nz/micon...al-cream-15gm/ It acts like a moisturiser a bit (even though it technically doesn't have moisturers in it) so there is no need for additional moisturiser.

Other creams you could try are Clotrimazole (brand name Canesten or Lotrimin) or Nizoral (Ketaconazole). Lamisil and Nizoral irritated the living out of my skin though, but if you don't have sensitive skin then you could try these as 2nd-line options.
    Shantelle

Great. I ordered the stuff and it's gonna be here in a few days. Thanks for the tip and I'll definitely let you know how it works out!