Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Prescription steroid?

Default Prescription steroid?

Today I was prescribed a prescription topical steroid for my "inflammation" by my dermatologist. I was going to get officially diagnosed for rosacea but the dermatologist (with over 40 years of experience) said I didn't have it. I am still hesitant to agree with him. I'm post-accutane and my redness hasn't decreased in the least.

Anyways, he told me that my blood vessels would slowly be absorbed over time and that he could prescribe me something to speed it up if I wanted. So he prescribed what he said was a very mild steroid. I asked him whether there was a chance of me getting steroid-induced rosacea because of the drug. He said no and that is only plausible for more powerful steroids.

So on the one side, I can live with this sunburnt redness for a few more years (or maybe forever) or I can try this topical compounded steroid cream that he prescribed. I'm just extremely afraid of it going bad in the long run.
    -But I still haven't found what I'm looking for.

Quote Originally Posted by Suspended View Post

Today I was prescribed a prescription topical steroid for my "inflammation" by my dermatologist. I was going to get officially diagnosed for rosacea but the dermatologist (with over 40 years of experience) said I didn't have it.
    So what's causing the "inflammation" then?

So he prescribed what he said was a very mild steroid.
    And how often and for how long are you supposed to apply this miracle drug?

So on the one side, I can live with this sunburnt redness for a few more years (or maybe forever) or I can try this topical compounded steroid cream that he prescribed. I'm just extremely afraid of it going bad in the long run.
    I wouldn't use it but you knew I'd say that.
    I've treated seb derm successfully with raw honey and virgin coconut oil and have been symptom-free since June '09. Follow this ---> link <--- for details.

Quote Originally Posted by Auburn View Post

I wouldn't use it but you knew I'd say that.
    Hahaha definitely.

He said that the redness if from inflammation of the blood vessels because of Accutane. He was more focused on acne treatment, and said I didn't need any (which is true, but my face looks horrible still). What doesn't make sense to me is that I do have the some symptoms of rosacea, but at the same time I can come up with a few reasons for agreeing with him:

I don't really react to sunlight like most rosacea sufferers.
    I get redder from anything I eat (so I think something inflammatory might be going on in my stomach, intestines, etc.)
    I don't itch or have eye problems.

Truly, my only problem is facial redness. Well... that and acne. I accepted that I had rosacea (without an official diagnosis) and now he tells me I don't have it. I'm going to get a second opinion.

Oh, and all he said was "twice a day"! What does that really even mean? If I wasn't a careful person I could just end up applying it twice a day for a year and you better believe I'd get rosacea then. But I'll post the name of the steroid. I believe it is very unique

He said that the redness if from inflammation of the blood vessels
    Dilation of blood vessels causes redness but that can't be fixed with steroid creams.

I'm going to get a second opinion.
    Yep, good idea.

Oh, and all he said was "twice a day"! What does that really even mean? If I wasn't a careful person I could just end up applying it twice a day for a year and you better believe I'd get rosacea then.
    Oh dear...
    I've treated seb derm successfully with raw honey and virgin coconut oil and have been symptom-free since June '09. Follow this ---> link <--- for details.

Quote Originally Posted by Auburn View Post
    Dilation of blood vessels causes redness but that can't be fixed with steroid creams.
    Absolutely I agree. They are just vasoconstrictors. It probably would make my redness much lighter, but I know I would get hooked on it. So it's really just pointless.

On a side note, I just bought TTO and am experimenting with that.

Yes I agreed with Auburn, stay away frm the steroid cream . It is only going to mask the problem temporarilly. Accutane-induced Rosacea is certainly 'inflammation' like you mention, and relief is usually found through typical Rosacea treatment, or anti-inflammatory Lupus medications like Plaquenil or Mepacrine.
    If you just have base redness and acne though (no flushing or other Accutane long-term side effects), probably look at either Oracea first (or Doxycycline combined with a Probiotic, if Oracea is not available) which would be pretty easy to get a prescription for. Over time they do help with inflammation and acne, but it might take quite a few months to show some effect.
    Also, ensure you wear sunscreen every day.
    If you get redder from anything you eat, try an anti-histamine as histamine in the food might be contributing to the redness. Also, watch how you respond to high food temperatures... potentially let food cool down before consuming to lessen the dilating reaction of blood vessels.
    What is TTO??
    Best, Shantelle
    Shantelle

31 Year old female from NZ

Personally I'd be wary of dismissing the advice of doctors in favour of people on the internet. Do what you want and by all means try as many options as are available to you, on here, elsewhere, medical or natural. Personally, after a long time, I am veering towards the advice of my doctors and my skin is better for it. But as has become apparant what's good for one isn't necessarily good for another. Good luck.

My advice would be, stay away from steroids. All of them!

I used the mildest one in the past as I was told I had eczema when in fact it must have been the early onset of rosacea. It certainly helped to ensure I did develop it.
    (Among all the other things that happened to me).

Also, I would advise getting your vitamin D levels tested. Most of us had hideously low levels prior to supplementing and I would bet yours are pitiful after high dose accutane.
    Vitamin D has dual roles, it can cause inflammation, temporarily while fighting infection and help resolve it, where necessary. It is not a cure, but it is vital to have adequate levels.

You don't have to be obviously sensitive to the sunlight, or have itchy eyes etc to have rosacea.
    Some people are red all the time, with no flushing. Some can have pale periods, yet flush like crazy inbetween.Some have the P&P form and nothing else. Some are lucky and have the whole lot all together. It is possible to have acne and rosacea as well. I used to. Others here do as well.

Vitamins A, D and K ( in particular) work closely together. High dose accutane really upsets the apple cart.
    If you are going to supplement with D3 I would advise also supplementing with k2.
    Can you tolerate oils? If so, you could try butteroil. If not, then get a dry tablet.

After all my years of dabbling in topicals and excessive IPL treatments, I have come to realise, through a lot of reading, and over a year of tutoring from Prof Ayers ( you can find links to him on this website), that we have to try and repair the immune system. Give it the building blocks to work with. Easier said than done of course.

Finally, I agree with the above posters. Find a new derm. Yours is reading literature from a museum exhibit.
    Previous Numerous IPL.
    Supplements: Niacinamide, Vit K2, low D3, Vit A. Moderate Dose Vit C, Iodine, Taurine, Magnesium. Very low dose B's. Low dose zinc (to correct deficiency).
    Skin Care: No Cleanser, ZZ cream mixed with Niacinamide gel 4% and LMW HA 2%, ethyl ascorbate 2%.

Treating for gut dysbiosis.(This is helping).
    Previous GAPS diet. Have now introduced lots of fibre.
    Fermented Foods. Intermittent fasting -16-18 hours.
    Oral Colostrum. Helps reduce food reactions.

Quote Originally Posted by UKDave View Post
    Personally I'd be wary of dismissing the advice of doctors in favour of people on the internet. Do what you want and by all means try as many options as are available to you, on here, elsewhere, medical or natural. Personally, after a long time, I am veering towards the advice of my doctors and my skin is better for it. But as has become apparant what's good for one isn't necessarily good for another. Good luck.
    This is a tricky subject.
    If this forum were about cardiac disease, cancer etc, I would always advise following doctors orders. Such conditions/diseases receive a lot of funding, research etc, and knowledge about them in the medical community is high. Also, no doctor wants to be responsible for a patient's death, so they ensure they are well informed.

Rosacea is a different world altogether. For a start no one can decide what it really is. Is is one disease? Or is it many grouped together? Does infection play a role? Or shall we call it inflammation as we simply can't think of anything else to label it with?

Rosacea is low down on the priority list for most doctors and as much as some people don't want to hear this, 'it is a big money maker'. Who wants to cure it and cut their income!'

Some doctors still consider it a minor cosmetic nuisance and refuse to be told otherwise.
    I had a doctor once, who couldn't even spell rosacea. I have had doctors tell me all sorts of nonsense.

I do agree that no one should accept advice from anyone on the internet as gospel. We are all responsible for our own lives and what paths we take, so I would suggest that posts of advice should be taken as stepping stones to further ones personal research.
    Previous Numerous IPL.
    Supplements: Niacinamide, Vit K2, low D3, Vit A. Moderate Dose Vit C, Iodine, Taurine, Magnesium. Very low dose B's. Low dose zinc (to correct deficiency).
    Skin Care: No Cleanser, ZZ cream mixed with Niacinamide gel 4% and LMW HA 2%, ethyl ascorbate 2%.

Treating for gut dysbiosis.(This is helping).
    Previous GAPS diet. Have now introduced lots of fibre.
    Fermented Foods. Intermittent fasting -16-18 hours.
    Oral Colostrum. Helps reduce food reactions.

On a side note, I just bought TTO and am experimenting with that.
    Tea Tree Oil? Why? Maybe I lost something in all these different threads - I thought you mainly had redness?
    Types I, II, IV - mild to moderate, depending ...