Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: P&P Help

Default P&P Help

Hey guys,

I was hoping someone could recommend something for my p&ps. They are MUCH less than they were years ago, but still I break out every day. Usual areas are my nose (argh covering with makeup here is hard!!), above my lip (why is this such a problem area?!) and then a little bit on cheeks and chin.

Here's what I'm using:

- cream from derm that she made up (well pharmacist did) consisting of metronidazole 2%, niacinamide 4%. Not sure if I notice much of a difference now but I remember when I started using it years ago I noticed a decrease in redness the first few months
    - honey mask for one hour every few days
    - re-starting to use Clarifoam (sulfacetamide and sulphur) every few nights wash off method (leave on for 10 mins then wash off).
    - prosacea gel on my spots only (otherwise it dries my skin out)

Things I've tried:
    - metrocream (no difference)
    - Elidel (little difference but made me wayy sensitive to warm water...I had to take cold showers!)
    - Seb-Prev cream (too drying)
    - Pyratine XR (made my whole face flakey)
    And I think that's it!

Just found freederm in my drawer (forgot I bought it in the UK last year!!) Haha oops! It says its goo till Feb 2011 so i may try that. Anyone ever used it? It's a gel though so i wouldn't want to put it on my whole face (gels dry me out too much).

Thanks guys!!!!

Hi Snuffleupagus,

I find that a multipronged approach to treatment is best.

A topical like Finacea has been used with some success on this forum but it doesn't work for everyone. It can make the P&Ps disappear faster in some people by spot treating them, so it may be worth trying.

The antibiotic Oracea or Doxycycline can help reduce the amount you get. If they're really out of control then you can also try low dose accutane. This is something I'm considering myself as I've used it before with some success.

Reducing stress can help and so can a diet high in Vitamin A and low in carbohydrates.

The real problem is that we don't actually know what causes them so trying to prevent them can be hit and miss, trial and error. You just have to find what works for you by experimenting. It sounds like you've tried a few topical treatments but you haven't mentioned any oral treatments.

The other thing is there are different types of P&P's that most likely have different causes.

I hope this helps.

Lonewolf

Thanks lonewolf!

I completely forgot to mention I went on doxy for months without much change (although coming off it gave me TONS of p&ps!) Clindamycin made me wicked nauseous too. I don't want to go the antibiotic route anymore because it caused hella damage (yeast infection which went into bacterial infection and wouldn't go away for MANY months...i know way too much information! haha) And I'm so afraid of Accutane and making flushing worse. Plus damaging my body. And right now with the intense facial pain/headaches I don't think I should try anything drastic that's oral in case it screws something else up!

Also funny enough, i tried vitamin A supplements (along with a slew of others) that didn't change anything either.

Trying changing my diet. Literally no sugar, no chocolate, no dairy, no MSG, etc. for over 6 months. Again, no change

Is Financea a gel? I definitely wouldn't be able to put it on my whole face of course. It's a RX right? Sulfur? i forget!

Quote Originally Posted by snuffleupagus View Post
    Thanks lonewolf!

I completely forgot to mention I went on doxy for months without much change (although coming off it gave me TONS of p&ps!) Clindamycin made me wicked nauseous too. I don't want to go the antibiotic route anymore because it caused hella damage (yeast infection which went into bacterial infection and wouldn't go away for MANY months...i know way too much information! haha) And I'm so afraid of Accutane and making flushing worse. Plus damaging my body. And right now with the intense facial pain/headaches I don't think I should try anything drastic that's oral in case it screws something else up!

Also funny enough, i tried vitamin A supplements (along with a slew of others) that didn't change anything either.

Trying changing my diet. Literally no sugar, no chocolate, no dairy, no MSG, etc. for over 6 months. Again, no change

Is Financea a gel? I definitely wouldn't be able to put it on my whole face of course. It's a RX right? Sulfur? i forget!
    Finacea is Azelaic Acid. The Prosacea you're using is Sulfur.

Sulfur & honey (esp. manuka honey) are both helpful for me, but you're already using them. Additionally, I find Retin-A really helpful as well.
    Types I, II, IV - mild to moderate, depending ...

I have read somewhere, and I have completely forgotten where, that an aspirin mask works wonders for acne and P & P's. I think there was mention on the acne board. I would suggest just googling it.

here's a good look at both sides of aspirin masks:
    http://skinacea.com/acne/treat_aspirin.htm

i personally can't use aspirin that way - beware of salicylate poisoning, people!
    it can be caused by topicals as well as oral meds, and it can be way serious.

i've been using diluted organic apple cider vinegar as a toner (10% in bottled water).
    i'm not altogether thrilled with my skin, but i haven't been having anywhere near as many p&ps as before.

another factor that seems to be helping: several times a week i wash with "oatmeal water".
    i let half a tablespoon of oat bran sit eight hours or so in half a cup of bottled water,
    then i strain it and rinse my face with the water. it's really soothing.
    here's some reading about oatmeal's anti-inflammatory nature:
    http://findarticles.com/p/articles/m...g=content;col1

i got both the vinegar idea and the oatmeal idea from other people here on this fine forum,
    so ... thank you!

snuffleupagus,
    i have had some success, though transient, with sodium sulphur/sulfacetimide washes and lotions. Both have helped in the past, though aren't currently working. I know, doesn't sound like the miracle cure or anything, but it may offer relief for you.

I am taking Oracea, and it's not doing anything for me. Grr. P&p are tough. It often seems that beating them takes trying everything under the sun.

Quote Originally Posted by dora View Post
    i've been using diluted organic apple cider vinegar as a toner (10% in bottled water).
    i'm not altogether thrilled with my skin, but i haven't been having anywhere near as many p&ps as before.
    Beware of topical vinegar for those who flare from eating it! I can't use it on my face, nor in food, without dire effects. Just a potential FYI.

(But I can use a vinegar rinse on my scalp/hair, what a confusing state our bodies can be in, hmm? )

Anything else to try? Getting frustrated! lol.

Does honey masks help p&ps at all?

Anyways i seem to have more breakouts then usual. Could be from re-starting the clarifoam? You know, the whole "gets worse before better" idea?

Quote Originally Posted by snuffleupagus View Post

Does honey masks help p&ps at all?
    Honey helps mine a lot. I thought you were already using it? Try leaving honey on the P&P areas only (spot treatment) for an hour a day, if you can, for several days to see if you get more benefits. Masking the entire face *daily* is probably unnecessary, and might risk a bit of sensitization - just try the honey on the affected areas only.

(Personally, I use Manuka Honey to mask/spot treat, but all raw honeys can be beneficial for this - you just need to use them a little longer for the anti-inflammatory/anti-microbial effects)