Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: How can I fix my skin?!?!

Quote Originally Posted by WilliamD View Post

this is not seb derm is it?
    No, it isn't. But that doesn't look like a scar either. See if you can find a photo where the light hits the spot(s) just right so that it shows well.

I just want my normal healthy skin back oh I have not had it in over 10 years its depressing *sigh*
    I know, kiddo. Let's give it a little more time. You are starting to do the right things now but things take time to heal.

thanks for your replies Auburn <3
    You are welcome.
    I've treated seb derm successfully with raw honey and virgin coconut oil and have been symptom-free since June '09. Follow this ---> link <--- for details.

Well I can give you the background history of my skin condition...when I turned 15 I got hit with the big P hard my skin started to become excessively oily and I started to develop acne, I thought it would be a phase like most others except it did not go away. Probably for 2 years I used topical treatments and oral antibiotics to try and get my skin under control none of it worked. At that point my dermatologist allowed me to take accutane and I Took it for about 3 months and my skin looked flawless I was so happy when I went in for a visit he said I did not need it anymore (I could have killed him you are supposed to be on a 6 month course for the results to stay permanent). After about 2 weeks my oily skin slowly started to come back and I was right back where I started. It took about another year before he would let me take accutane again and same results I used it for about 3 months looked and felt amazing he made me stop and a month later my oily skin came back. Sadly a couple months later the derm that had treated me for years moved out of state so at that point instead of starting all over with a new derm who I knew would shove topicals and other garbage at me I started trying different herbal treatments, tanning, diets, blue light treatments.

Finally I settled on using 10% Benzoyl Peroxide and I used that for about 2 years I got little to no breakouts and my skin seemed to slowly heal its self. Around August last year I was feeling cocky and confident and decided to go out tanning, I did this for about a week and I started to break out so I stopped. A friend suggested that if I wanted to get rid of those 'scars' you see that I get a chemical peel. So I made an appointment and I got a light Salicylic acid peel...my skin seemed fresher although the oil persisted. The lady who administered the peel suggested I start exfoliating and it would help with the scars and said my problems with it in the past was the exfoliater was too harsh with too big grains...so I bought the one they had there that was more fine. I used it once and my skin started to feel tight and dry...a couple of days later I used it again woke up the next morning and my skin was on fire, dry, flaky and basically what you saw in these pictures on my cheeks except 10x worse. For the past year I have had to try and get my skin back in some state of balance the benzoyl peroxide was not working anymore for some reason it was drying me out too much and contributing to the problem, moisturizing afterward made my skin feel like it was burning unless I put a gallon on my skin and than in the morning my red marks would be a lot worse. So for a couple of months I would say from April until September I have not used any cleansers, moisturizers nothing at all just water and its been good pimple wise I get the occasional pimple but nothing terrible.

However I feel like I am right back where I started from with these weird 'scars' I do not even know what to call them the best I can describe is a film or like a sunburn over my skin that varies in intensity depending where you look on my skin. Although I notice the more oily an area is the more red it is ie my nose and cheeks are the worse my temples are moderate and my forehead I would say is mild. I told you I do not have an oily jawline and for the most part it seems spared from the redness I get the occasional pimple on my jaw but I have a feeling it may be razor irritation.

My theory has been for a while whatever these scars are they are being aggravated by excess oil, but when I went to this latest derm she said I had mild rosacea and that opened the doors to find this forum and learn about seb derm and alternative treatments. The honey seems to helped with the flaking quite a lot but as far as the rest of my skin goes with these 'scars' I do not see a whole lot of improvement but any improvement is better than none at all!

Anyway I tried to take a couple of different photos at different angles so you can get a better idea of what my skin looks like...thanks!!!! <3

Auburn my camera is not that great but I took a bunch of shots from different angles hoping you can get a good idea of what i am working with!

get ready for my photo shoot tyra would be sad i am not smizing in any of them =/

Hi William,

Thanks for posting a detailed background info.

Are these the areas where those scars are?:

The constant use of benzoyl peroxide might have something to do with your diffuse redness.

When did you first notice these scars?

I used it once and my skin started to feel tight and dry...a couple of days later I used it again woke up the next morning and my skin was on fire, dry, flaky and basically what you saw in these pictures on my cheeks except 10x worse.
    Do you remember the name of that product? What was in it?

However I feel like I am right back where I started from with these weird 'scars' I do not even know what to call them the best I can describe is a film or like a sunburn over my skin that varies in intensity depending where you look on my skin.
    Do they change in color/size/shape at all?

Although I notice the more oily an area is the more red it is ie my nose and cheeks are the worse my temples are moderate and my forehead I would say is mild.
    That would be the seb derm.

My theory has been for a while whatever these scars are they are being aggravated by excess oil
    Why?

but when I went to this latest derm she said I had mild rosacea and that opened the doors to find this forum and learn about seb derm and alternative treatments. The honey seems to helped with the flaking quite a lot but as far as the rest of my skin goes with these 'scars' I do not see a whole lot of improvement but any improvement is better than none at all!
    Well, again, it's a seb derm treatment and an excellent skin conditioner. Once your seb derm clears some of the diffuse redness will also resolve. Your doctor diagnosed rosacea but, of the common rosacea symptoms, your photos only show enlarged pores and very mild diffuse redness which could be caused by other conditions.

Can you think of any symptoms that may have appeared at the same time or shortly after your skin symptoms?
    I've treated seb derm successfully with raw honey and virgin coconut oil and have been symptom-free since June '09. Follow this ---> link <--- for details.

Well my theory is that the sebum is causing this irritation because when I went on accutane not only did my acne stop but these scars or whatever faded away my skin looked flawless like I never had any skin issues!

And I cant give you an exact date when I first started to notice these scars on my face I have been with them for so long but at least 4-5 years....

The exfoliate I used was not a name brand but a special blend the office sold its been a year since I have been there but these are the ingredients they have now with this product

Ingredients: Water, Alumina, Mineral Oil, Glycerin, Butyrospermum Parkii (Shea Butter), Dimethicone, Stearyl Alcohol, Glyceryl Stearate, PEG-100 Stearate, Retinyl Palmitate/Carrot Polypeptide, Disodium Lauriminodipropionate Tocopheryl Phosphates, Tetrahexyldecyl Ascorbate, Yeast Extract, Biosaccharide Gum-1, Hydrogenated Polydecene, Fragrance, Glyceryl Polyacrylate, Triethanolamine, Carbomer, Phenoxyethanol, Methylparaben, Butylparaben, Ethylparaben, Propylparaben, Isobutylparaben, Disodium EDTA, Yellow 6 (CI 15985), Red 4 (CI 14700), Orange 4 (CI 15510)

The scars on my skin seem to get more irritated or red when I exercise sweat or when my skin is extremely oily but also I get more flakes and a tight burning sensation when my skin is feeling dry its all about trying to find a balance its been hard...

The only other things I can think of is allergies might be playing a role in my skin problems...I am going to try an see an allergist and get tested for food allergies and other things but like I said in another post my throat hurts I have a runny nose my eyes get bloodshot my ears feel warm...so maybe their is some sort of inflammation going on or as I theorized earlier might be a yeast overgrowth I don't know but I feel like its either allergies too much sebum or a yeast overgrowth.. or who knows a combination of them!

Just been difficult because I feel like I am just throwing darts blindly hoping that I hit the mark on something but the only thing for sure in the past that worked for me was accutane..and I know no dermatologist is going to prescribe a 6 month course with my skin condition because its not 'severe' enough which is why it kind of sucks my long time derm moved away because I had a history with him. And I know their are bad side effects with accutane but I was on it twice and felt like a million bucks!

Thanks Auburn <3

Btw I thought I would include what my eyes typically look like for most oft he day it feels like I got a piece of dirt or sometghing stuck in my eye and it gets bloodshot sometimes it calms down but rarely and there would be times I would just be washing my face with water and my eyes would start to burn and tear I dunno...

Last edited by WilliamD; 23rd October 2010 at 04:30 AM.

Hey I was just bored and could not sleep so I decided to do some more research on the things my naturopathy told me about and I stumbled onto something about adrenals...that was one area that he said was acting up anyway long story short one symptom of adrenal sufferers is chronic hives, so I decided to look into that more and really when I look at people who have hives on their face and body it sure looks a lot more like what I am going through than any other problem I have stumbled across....

This condition is called Cholinergic Urticaria and this seems to be my skin type exactly!

Even if this is not the specific condition I have their are tons of different hives problems =0 I feel like I am on the right track and what you are seeing on my face is hives...do you think this could be plausible Auburn or do you think I am grasping at straws here!?!?!
    Last edited by WilliamD; 23rd October 2010 at 10:21 AM.

Well my theory is that the sebum is causing this irritation because when I went on accutane not only did my acne stop but these scars or whatever faded away my skin looked flawless like I never had any skin issues!
    OK, then we should stop calling them scars. They are something else.

That product you were using contains a bunch of things that are not good for the skin. Look those ingredients up and you'll see what I mean.

It wouldn't hurt testing for allergies. You could try taking antihistamines for a week or so and see if it helps with the redness, sore throat and runny nose. Your eye symptoms sound like "dry-eye." I used to have that and cleansing/moisturizing with honey/oil twice daily took care of the problem.

do you think this could be plausible Auburn or do you think I am grasping at straws here!?!?!
    Yep. I think you are. I see no signs of urticaria on your face.

My advice: keep up with the cleansing routine (do not forget to massage your eyelids with the honey when you cleanse) and the honey masks, stop obsessing about this and stay away from mirrors. If you have discontinued the oil, wait a few more days and try using a minimal amount and see how your skin react.

Based on what I see in the photos you've been posting, I'd say that what you call scars is inflammation, probably triggered by the constant use of chemicals. Strong cleansers strip the skin so much that it goes into sebum overdrive. Many skin and hair products contain SLS, which causes increased sebum production.

Go out for walks and see if you can start exercising daily, even if it's just 15 minutes a day at first and then increase gradually. That will help, William, in many ways.

Whatever you have I do indeed think I have. The symptoms which I have are SD/Dandruff with redness and flakiness on face and hair (which sometimes itches, especially when exercising), often tired and lethargic, purple under the eyes (anemic?), white/green coated tongue, bloodshot eyes, sluggish cognitive tempo, forgetting words when speaking etc. Anything you can relate to?

For me, I think it all started when I took broad spectrum antibiotics (Tetracycline) for acne when I was about 16 (23 now). My theory is that it screwed up my normal bacterial flora in the intestines and permanently killed off/decreased some really valuable bacteria, so I no longer can synthesize some vitamin or something, e.g. biotin. This is ofcourse just a theory, but antibiotics are known for permanently altering the flora (sciencedaily.com/releases/2010/09/100913153628.htm) and can cause deficiencies, like biotin (which causes SD).

I was going to post some pictures of my face to show the resemblance, but apparently not allowed as a newly registered member. Will have to wait awhile I guess.

Take care.

Its unfortunate someone is going something similar that I am but welcome aboard

Since changing my diet I feel like I have more energy and my skin has responded by being less oily, however the oral thrush, eye irritations, flaking skin sometimes I get ear clog where I feel like I have to pop my ears are still persisting... but my hunch is that most of these things could be caused chronic allergies that I just never dealt with. I kind of just tolerated them but I am going to see an allergist and see how that works. Hopefully most of the symptoms I mentioned previously will fade away under the care of an allergist.

However the oral thrush is something that I have been trying to kill for about a month now and it is persisting. I have been using an apple cider vinegar mouthwash morning and evening after brushing my teeth. I also brush my tongue with to get rid of as much as I can. I also take fivelac for breakfast and for dinner as well and some days I eat healthy yogurt without all of the sugar and crud. I have noticed a reduction but it still lingers. Something that has been confusing me though is a yeast infection in your mouth an indication you have candida in your stomach...I know a lot of people complain about digestive problems constipation... but I am pretty regular maybe a 2-3 times a week I will have diarrhea but I do not feel bloated or have cramps or anything like that so its making me wonder if my yeast problem is primarily located in my mouth. Although I may of had oral thrush for years and I was just unaware so that's a lot of time for something to take a hold and cause damage!

So I feel like I am a work in progress Rome was not built in a day but physically I am feeling better its just not reflected on my skin yet...but hopefully that time will come!

Question PBR is your skin very sensitive like if you press down on it do you get a red mark or blotch that stays for a while like 10 minutes+ I get that a lot as well!?!?

Lightbulb Did you go to your dentist?

Hi.

My brother had oral thrush and his dentist gave him anti-fungal mouth wash that tasted sweet and i think he took some caps aswell for a couple weeks to fix the problem. Ask your dentist.