Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: How can I fix my skin?!?!

Default How can I fix my skin?!?!

I spent about 10 years having acne prone skin, I have used any an all products to try an stop the production of oil which was the main contributor to my acne. About this time last year a drastic change occurred my skin stopped being oily an started to become extremely dry. I never had to use moisturizer before but now I must or I get a tight burning sensation on my face, its the worse around my cheeks nose an chin! I recently saw a dermatologist an she said I have a mild case of rosacea, it seems like no matter how balance I get my skin I always have these permanent red marks that will not go away. The odd part is the intensity seems to vary from place to place my nose being by far the worse an my forehead having tanned splotches not really red. I also just discovered I am allergic to aluminum and perfumes an fragrances an was wondering if their was somehow a connection an my skin problem is not really rosacea but an allergic reaction to something I am using like a shampoo or soap. If anyone has any ideas on how to bring down the redness or has been in a similar spot an has any advice I would greatly appreciate it. This is just slowly eating away at my social life an making me extremely depressed an I am tired of being sad...thank you for reading!
    Attached Images

The first place I would start is by washing your face only with raw honey morning and evening. Then follow up with moisturizing with a small amount of virgin coconut oil. Also, you can find the thread on raw honey masks and start that as well. I find it really reduces my redness over time. If you live in the US, you can try using topical Ivermectin, which is treatment for mites and scabies and mange in animals. But many of us are experimenting with it off label and it is working quite well for several people.

The less products you use on your face, the better it is for your skin, as well as your pocket book!! Also, drink tons and tons of water and try cutting all sugars and simple carbs like cookies, candies, treats, etc. I actually stopped all carbs except one piece of this really great bread every day. It is full of grains and seeds and is full of fiber. I also cut out all dairy.

I started eating a tablespoon or 2 of the raw honey daily as my vitamin as well. And I take lots of Vitamin D3 as well as probiotics and digestive enzymes.

Buy as much as you can from Vitacost.com. They are the most inexpensive place I have found. I buy my raw honey from Dancing Bee Acres website.

Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by Supramom2000 View Post
    If you live in the US, you can try using topical Ivermectin, which is treatment for mites and scabies and mange in animals. But many of us are experimenting with it off label and it is working quite well for several people.
    i think the ivermectin works for people whose rosacea is caused or aggravated by demodex mites -
    i wouldn't try it unless i'd test positive for demodex.

cleansing with raw honey and moisturizing with virgin coconut oil have helped a bunch of people,
    if you have no allergies/sensitivities to either of those items.
    the honey-mask routine is especially helpful if sebhorretic dermatitis is part of the problem.
    you can read about it in Auburn's excellent instructions: http://www.rosaceagroup.org/The_Rosa...ad.php?t=20789

i agree with the idea that it could be related to your allergy - if you're still using shampoo, soap, etc, that contain the allergen
    then switching to ones that don't sure seems like a very sensible first step. you might need a hypoallergenic laundry detergent too.

and i agree that lots of water and not too much junk in the diet are always good.

hope your discomfort eases soon, WilliamD

Hi there William
    In my view your skin actually looks quite good in the pic, just some shininess and a little red in places. Can you confirm the sheen on the skin is moisturiser??
    As you say you are allergic to some things it certainly could be a case of very sensitive skin reacting to things it is exposed to. I believe there are shampoos and moisturisers available with natrual products in - it would certainly be worth a shot trying to eliminate possible irritating factors one by one. I believe some people even used pure bottled water to wash their face with because it is less irritating.
    I wonder if others on this forum may think there is a chance this is Seb dermatitis, even though your skin has gotten drier over the last while??? the raw honey and coconut regimine may be worth a shot.
    Best,
    Shantelle

31 Year old female from NZ

I have been using Jojoba oil to moisturize after I wash my skin and I do not use any cleansers or toners. It seemed like they all aggravate my skin an make it more dry than it should be. I do not mind the occasional pimple here an there my skin is a lot better from where it was a couple of years ago. It is just dealing with the discoloration, it makes my skin look unhealthy an its just extremely embarrassing in social situations.

The more research I have done it seems like aluminum can be contained in many common shampoos, deodorants also I have bad reactions to perfume I am wondering if I should go fragrance free with as much stuff as possible like my detergent, shampoo, moisturizer an soap? If anyone has any good links to healthy natural soaps, shampoos an perhaps different water filters I would <3 ever so much I have been doing research an I feel like I am still not quite sure what I am looking at!

I figured Id keep a daily log here of things I do before I start my day an something that I noticed which I really did not think much of but may be contributing to my skin problem. As soon as I get out of the shower or finish a shower I have somewhat of a coughing attack. Now its just a few coughs but it seems really odd that almost on a daily basis this happens once I turn the water off. By the way I did not use any soap or shampoo just water and I used some bottled water to rinse my face. It also seems like when I get out of the shower though my skin looks its best an as the day progresses it slowly gets worse. Maybe by writing this stuff down everyday I might be able to connect the dots on something but as Im writing this my chest feels very tight. Maybe their is something that I am allergic to in the bathroom? An this also contributes to my skin problems? Anyway I will carry on with my day but I will be very mindful of things that I may have overlooked that my be contributing to my problems. I feel like with rosacea an most skin problems its our bodies way of telling us that something is wrong or rejecting something! If anyone has any ideas or suggestions on what might be going on I would love to hear it !

Are your running any shower cleaners over the stall before or after your shower? Could there be residue or left over inhalants from some sort of cleaner?

As for products, seriously, just use raw honey for washing your face. I keep one in the shower and one next to the sink. For hair, go to Vitacost.com and check out California Baby, Burt's Bee's, Alba, Kiss My Face, etc. You can find lists of ingredients for every product. You can search for things like sensitive skin, fragrance free, etc. Also, there are web-sites dedicated to listing the safest products for skin and hair that are usually affiliated with breast cancer awareness sites, or skin cancer sites. Perhaps someone here remembers the names of the 2 big ones?

Also, if you live in the US and have a Super Supplements store, or a health-food store, usually the people that work there are very knowledgeable about what is in products and can make some good recommendations.

Another thing to check is your toothpaste. I switched to Tom's of Maine flouride free with tea tree oil and fennel, etc.

I have been doing research after being diagnosed with rosacea but I am not sure if I have seb derm, eczema or neither. I am leaning to me having seb derm although my skin does not really itch my scalp is kind of flaky an I get these crusty things inside my ears. Also my skin tends to flake as well if I do not moisturize well an I get these yellow crusty oozing things. This raw honey mask is very intriguing, I figure it is worth a try however if I could get a little help on what kind of honey I should purchase ?

http://www.reallyrawhoney.com/Mercha...duct_Code=1LJR

Would this be the right kind of honey to get ?

An also I can just stop at a GNC to get virgin coconut oil but would this be correct? Just to make sure!

http://www.gnc.com/product/index.jsp...LAID=533809824

Also thank you for all of the suggestions Supra I really appreciate it. I would just like to get more input on whether or not people think I have seb derm, ezcema or just plain ol rosacea? I took another pic I guess I will try an keep this thread updated as I try different methods its good to have multiple opinions!
    Attached Images

Yes, both those products would work just fine. I am a big fan of Garden of Life products, so both the honey and virgin coconut oil I buy are from them - through Vitacost. But I also buy some honey from an apiary in Portland, OR called Dancing Bee Acres (I buy from their website). They have some different varieties of raw honey so you can choose to add in propolis, bee pollen, bee venom, etc. Since I also use them for my vitamins, I chose the those particular ones to keep in my pantry and shower. I keep the Garden of Life one next to my bathroom sink for washing my face when not showering.

I forgot that there is a moisturizer that many people really like that is non-allergenic, non-comedogenic, no parabens, etc. It is called VaniCream and you can get it at almost any drug store. I have my teenage boys use it after doing all their acne treatment stuff so their faces won't dry out too much.

Hey William. From first glance at your pics it looks very similar to my skin when it first started. I was diagnosed with seb derm. Is the skin itchy at all? When i first had it, it felt like bugs crawling under my skin.

Give the honey and oil thing ago. The worst that can happen; it won't work and you'll have to try something else