Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 57

Thread: Seb Derm, Oleic Acid and Malassezia

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    30

    Default Seb Derm, Oleic Acid and Malassezia

    Some studies point to Oleic Acid as the main culprit causing skin irritation as seen in seb derm, saying it is a byproduct of the malassezia. But oleic acid found in many oils such as olive, joboba, emu, canola, etc, is actually considered to be anti-inflammatory. So I thought maybe they have it back to front and that Oleic Acid (naturally found in human sebum) is rather the food source for Malassezia hence causing the yeast to thrive and cause further inflammation. For some people who produce excess oil or have a high oleic acid content in their sebum, this would certainly make sense. Also because in lab settings, apparently olive oil (70% oleic acid) encourages growth of certain yeasts such as malassezia.

    Any input? Would be very interested to hear your thoughts!

    Dee

  2. #2
    Senior Member Auburn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    New England
    Posts
    1,197

    Default

    This topic has been discussed here: http://www.rosaceagroup.org/The_Rosa...ad.php?t=21982
    *
    I've treated seb derm successfully with raw honey and virgin coconut oil and have been symptom-free since June '09. Follow this ---> link <--- for details.

  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    30

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Auburn View Post
    This topic has been discussed here: http://www.rosaceagroup.org/The_Rosa...ad.php?t=21982
    Thanks, I will check that out.

  4. #4
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    25

    Default

    Oils good for SD would be anything with GLA, DHA, EPA. People with SD have a problem with their delta-6 desaturase enzyme which converts linolenic acid or linoleic acid into longer essential fatty acid metabolites.

    Ways to improve your delta 6 desaturase are moderate food restriction, zinc, vitamin C, and Vitamin b6.

  5. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    30

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by xcvq View Post
    Oils good for SD would be anything with GLA, DHA, EPA. People with SD have a problem with their delta-6 desaturase enzyme which converts linolenic acid or linoleic acid into longer essential fatty acid metabolites.

    Ways to improve your delta 6 desaturase are moderate food restriction, zinc, vitamin C, and Vitamin b6.
    Wow, that's really interesting. I'm going to look into this, thanks!

  6. #6
    Senior Member Auburn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    New England
    Posts
    1,197

    Default

    Hi xcvq,

    Could you provide a link to your source, please? Thanks.
    *
    I've treated seb derm successfully with raw honey and virgin coconut oil and have been symptom-free since June '09. Follow this ---> link <--- for details.

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    115

    Default Oleic Acid vs. Linoleic Acid in Sebum

    This is very interesting!

    I was doing some research on oleic acid in sebum and found that oleic acid is found in sebum that is lacking in linoleic acid (an EFA - Essential Fatty Acid).

    Then I found this at wikipedia.org/wiki/Linoleic_acid:
    "Dermatitis is one of the first signs of an Essential Fatty Acid deficiency in both humans and animals. Until 1955, one of the most widely applied treatments for atopic eczema was a high dose of GLA." (Gamma-linolenic acid)

    And this at umm.edu/altmed/articles/gamma-linolenic-000305.htm:
    "Gamma-linolenic acid (GLA) is an omega-6 fatty acid that is found mostly in plant-based oils. Omega-6 fatty acids are considered essential fatty acids: They are necessary for human health but the body can' t make them -- you have to get them through food."

    So, in summary, if we can eliminate oleic acid on the outside of our bodies by not putting it on our skin, but want to keep it from forming in our own sebum, it all goes back to a healthy diet, which will give us the EFA's that we so desperately need to control seb derm, etc.

    I actually get a lot of EFA's because I eat flax seeds and take Udo's Oil (and I try to eat well). So I find it interesting that once I stopped introducing oleic acid to my face (i.e. jojoba oil, coconut oil) that my skin had an immediate turn-around (and I do mean immediate - overnight!). Interestingly enough, those good oils that our bodies need so desperately on the inside, are the very culprits when used on the outside. They contain oleic acid, but on the inside of the body they work differently than on the outside.

    I'm wondering, however, why the stop of GLA to dermatitis sufferers in 1955? Could it be that since the pharmaceutical companies can't patent a natural product and make money on it, they "convinced" the doctors to steer clear of the natural healers and push the pharmaceuticals? Just a thought.

  8. #8
    Member coopx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    49

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Anonymous View Post
    This is very interesting!

    I was doing some research on oleic acid in sebum and found that oleic acid is found in sebum that is lacking in linoleic acid (an EFA - Essential Fatty Acid).

    Then I found this at wikipedia.org/wiki/Linoleic_acid:
    "Dermatitis is one of the first signs of an Essential Fatty Acid deficiency in both humans and animals. Until 1955, one of the most widely applied treatments for atopic eczema was a high dose of GLA." (Gamma-linolenic acid)

    And this at umm.edu/altmed/articles/gamma-linolenic-000305.htm:
    "Gamma-linolenic acid (GLA) is an omega-6 fatty acid that is found mostly in plant-based oils. Omega-6 fatty acids are considered essential fatty acids: They are necessary for human health but the body can' t make them -- you have to get them through food."

    So, in summary, if we can eliminate oleic acid on the outside of our bodies by not putting it on our skin, but want to keep it from forming in our own sebum, it all goes back to a healthy diet, which will give us the EFA's that we so desperately need to control seb derm, etc.

    I actually get a lot of EFA's because I eat flax seeds and take Udo's Oil (and I try to eat well). So I find it interesting that once I stopped introducing oleic acid to my face (i.e. jojoba oil, coconut oil) that my skin had an immediate turn-around (and I do mean immediate - overnight!). Interestingly enough, those good oils that our bodies need so desperately on the inside, are the very culprits when used on the outside. They contain oleic acid, but on the inside of the body they work differently than on the outside.

    I'm wondering, however, why the stop of GLA to dermatitis sufferers in 1955? Could it be that since the pharmaceutical companies can't patent a natural product and make money on it, they "convinced" the doctors to steer clear of the natural healers and push the pharmaceuticals? Just a thought.
    Do you have to take Gamma-linolenic acid or any Omega 3,6 will do?

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    115

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by coopx View Post
    Do you have to take Gamma-linolenic acid or any Omega 3,6 will do?
    I, personally, take Udo's Oil: udoerasmus.com/products/oil_blend_en.htm
    (It is recommeded to take a tablespoon per each 50 pounds of body fat per day. Sometimes I take it straight - has a nutty taste - or I add it to smoothies and stuff like that.)

    And I eat flax seeds: bubbleandbee.com/servlet/the-FlaxPro-Flax-Seeds/Categories (These are the best flax seeds I've ever tried. No need to grind. I sprinkle them on salads, soups, etc. My personal favorite is the golden kind. Plus they have slightly more Omega-3s than the dark brown kind.)

    That, combined with a healthy diet (including dark, leafy greens; raw nuts and seeds, etc.) and plenty of good water (with juice from a fresh lemon in it) is doing wonders for my skin! For me, personally, once I got rid of putting jojoba oil or coconut oil on my face, my seb derm is gone! Yes, GONE!!! In just a matter of a few days. I am beyond amazed!!!

    I am SO grateful to Shrimpy and LadyBee (fellow-members of this forum) for steering me in this direction. Now all I use on the outside of me is raw honey and I moisturize my body from the inside. I live in a very dry climate, and this is working out wonderfully for me!

    Best of health to you!

  10. #10
    Member coopx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    49

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Anonymous View Post
    I, personally, take Udo's Oil: udoerasmus.com/products/oil_blend_en.htm
    (It is recommeded to take a tablespoon per each 50 pounds of body fat per day. Sometimes I take it straight - has a nutty taste - or I add it to smoothies and stuff like that.)

    And I eat flax seeds: bubbleandbee.com/servlet/the-FlaxPro-Flax-Seeds/Categories (These are the best flax seeds I've ever tried. No need to grind. I sprinkle them on salads, soups, etc. My personal favorite is the golden kind. Plus they have slightly more Omega-3s than the dark brown kind.)

    That, combined with a healthy diet (including dark, leafy greens; raw nuts and seeds, etc.) and plenty of good water (with juice from a fresh lemon in it) is doing wonders for my skin! For me, personally, once I got rid of putting jojoba oil or coconut oil on my face, my seb derm is gone! Yes, GONE!!! In just a matter of a few days. I am beyond amazed!!!

    I am SO grateful to Shrimpy and LadyBee (fellow-members of this forum) for steering me in this direction. Now all I use on the outside of me is raw honey and I moisturize my body from the inside. I live in a very dry climate, and this is working out wonderfully for me!

    Best of health to you!
    Im happy for your success, im gonna try that and update my result. anyway hope you dont mind if i ask how severe your SD is? (mild, moderate,etc) is it on your face,scalp, chest etc? Ty

Similar Threads

  1. The importance of Oleic Acid in worsening Seborrheic dermatitis
    By Bradley in forum Similar and co-existing conditions
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 22nd March 2019, 03:41 AM
  2. Why is coconut oil treatment reccomended if it has oleic acid
    By patrick_bateman in forum Similar and co-existing conditions
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 14th March 2019, 06:36 PM
  3. Oleic Acid vs. Linoleic Acid in Sebum
    By Anonymous in forum Similar and co-existing conditions
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 18th January 2011, 07:32 AM
  4. honey treatment-Iooking for moisturize instead of coconut oil! Oleic acid 7%
    By joellie in forum Similar and co-existing conditions
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 3rd January 2011, 03:33 PM
  5. Oleic Acid vs. Linoleic Acid in Sebum
    By Anonymous in forum Diet, lifestyle and relationships
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 1st January 2011, 06:04 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •