Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Distressed and totally confused

Default Distressed and totally confused

First of all a big thank you to this forum for being here. I am grateful. I have just been diagnosed with Rosacea and seem to be experiencing a rather viscious attack. I don't understand why or how this has happened as I don't drink alcohol and never sit in the sun and have not started a new skin care regime. Also up to now have never had any problems with my skin, other than slightly dry and slightly sensitive.

In the space of two weeks everything has changed.... a week ago the doctor wrongly diagnosed excema, but I went back as I was burning so much (not itching) and had bright red cheeks and chin and a bit on nose. The burning is pretty relentless and I find the appearance hard to deal with too.

I have spent hours and hours reading things online.....I feel in quite a state of shock..... devastated to be honest.....sorry if that sounds over the top but I am finding it very hard to get my head round this, especially the fact that it is incurable.

My doctor has prescribed metronidazole cream twice a day which I have been applying, this makes my skin burn even more when I apply it but will stick with it as the level of burning during the day seems very very very slightly better than it was before I started using it. (have only been using it since Thursday)

I can see I need a moisturiser as well as the metronidazole......this is where I am confused, I haven't a clue what moisturiser to use now, in the past I always used basic moisturisers for normal but sensitive skin, I used to apply liberally and that worked for me.

Since I have got Rosacea my skin seems over sensitive to everything. I live in London what sort of moisturiser should I buy?
    At the moment my normal moisturiser seems to make my skin burn more.

The redness is quite extreme, in the past I wore foundation for special events but now I feel extremely insecure about my appearance I would like to wear it daily, what kind of foundation is safe to use and will not aggravate this condition?

Thank you in advance for your help.

Hi,

sorry you're feeling so distressed. I felt the same when I was first diagnosed. With a bit of trial and error hopefully you'll be able to get some control over your condition.

Some people can't use topical medication (eg. creams like metronidazole) as they are sensitive to some of the ingredients like preservatives. I'd give the metronidazole a few weeks' trial as it can take a while to kick in. If it doesn't seem to be doing anything beneficial after a few weeks, or if it's making things worse, go back to your doctor and let them know. I was prescribed oral antibiotics for about 3 months and these really helped to reduce the inflammation.

As for a moisturiser, I had trouble finding one of these too. My skin is really sensitive and dry with lots of allergies. I stumbled across a cream called Avene Tolerance Extreme, which has no preservatives or fragrance and is available in the bigger Boots stores. It's expensive - about 14 - but for me it's been worth it. It lasts about a month. They also make a cleanser in the same range.

http://www.aveneusa.com/phys-ex-tole...extreme-cream/

For foundation, mineral formulas seem to be better than the traditional liquid ones. I used a brand called Cory Cosmetics. They have a website (www.corycosmetics.com). This is also fairly expensive, but I've had the same pot for literally well over a year and I wear it most days. It also acts as a sunscreen, which is useful fo me because I havent managed to find one that doesn't bother my skin.

I really hope this helps you

Thank you very much, will give these a try..... this all seems to be hitting me really hard.... today I should have been working from home all day in preparation for Monday and the week ahead at work....I have a lot to do... but have gone into complete panic mode about rosacea, have been crying a lot, that of course doesn't help as I end up burning even more. This forum seems really informative and supportive but in one way it is rather depressing asit is clear that this is a very hard condition to treat successfully.... one thing is clear I must stop looking in the mirror, I've got to focus on work and other things............ so much easier said than done!!!

Most rosaceans have moderat to severe seborrhea along with rosacea. I would try to avoid moisturizer if you can. I stopped years ago. At first my skin broke out, as it was used to moisturizer, but then calmed down.

If you have to use, effaclar K from La Roche Posay is pretty harmless to rosacea, acne or seborrhea skin, according to my derm. I also have no break outs if I use it. It is a bit expensive though....But probably sold all over UK.

http://www.la-rocheposay.net/effaclar_k.htm

Regards
    Snegovik

Hi Natasha, I am a 20 year rosacea sufferer. I would not try and fight through the irritation of the Metro gel or cream, which ever you are using. It could very well be that the use of cosmetics or the moisturizers you are using helped bring this on. It takes a long time for mild irritation to show it self. While I think it's safe to say genetics plays a strong part. I believe something has to trigger it also. Turn on the switch as some might say. I would get rid of the metro gel. Get a prescription for some low dose doxy like oracea. Switch to jo-joba oil as your moisturizer. It is very light. Let your skin calm down. I would imagine those topicals you were using for the ezema probably caused more irritation. No topicals except for jo-joba oil untill your skin calms down. This is my best advice. Oh and also Suvida's Ultra Maritime Pine 120's will help with your inflamation and redness. For me it has helped a lot. Hope this helps.

Cameron

Hi Natasha

You might want to look into oral treatments used for flushing under the Prescriptions section on this forum. Something like a Clonidine, Remeron or Propranolol (or a combo of these) are best suited to Rosacea type 1 (burning/flushing/redness) and might be the most helpful in calming the burning so that you find some relief. Oracea or Tetracyclines like Doxy are unlikely to have any effect on burning/flushing/base redness (Oracea and tetracyclines are best suited for Type 2 Rosacea involving inflammation and p&ps).

Best wishes,
    Shantelle

31 Year old female from NZ

Inflamation is redness. This is why many who take oracea notice there face isn't as red. You could try red light therapy. For me calms inflamation and redness in less than 2 minutes my whole face goes pale. clonidine is good for flushing you might wanna try this. I don't see remeron as a first line treatment. It can cause a lot of weight gain and never the less it affects your brain and has a lot of side affects. I felt really strange on Anti depressants and gained 30 pounds. I would definately hold off on the remeron for now.

Cameron

I definately agree with Shantelle. I would try oral meds before topicals.

Cameron

Quote Originally Posted by Natasha View Post
    First of all a big thank you to this forum for being here. I am grateful. I have just been diagnosed with Rosacea and seem to be experiencing a rather viscious attack. I don't understand why or how this has happened as I don't drink alcohol and never sit in the sun and have not started a new skin care regime. Also up to now have never had any problems with my skin, other than slightly dry and slightly sensitive.

In the space of two weeks everything has changed.... a week ago the doctor wrongly diagnosed excema, but I went back as I was burning so much (not itching) and had bright red cheeks and chin and a bit on nose. The burning is pretty relentless and I find the appearance hard to deal with too.

I have spent hours and hours reading things online.....I feel in quite a state of shock..... devastated to be honest.....sorry if that sounds over the top but I am finding it very hard to get my head round this, especially the fact that it is incurable.

My doctor has prescribed metronidazole cream twice a day which I have been applying, this makes my skin burn even more when I apply it but will stick with it as the level of burning during the day seems very very very slightly better than it was before I started using it. (have only been using it since Thursday)

I can see I need a moisturiser as well as the metronidazole......this is where I am confused, I haven't a clue what moisturiser to use now, in the past I always used basic moisturisers for normal but sensitive skin, I used to apply liberally and that worked for me.

Since I have got Rosacea my skin seems over sensitive to everything. I live in London what sort of moisturiser should I buy?
    At the moment my normal moisturiser seems to make my skin burn more.

The redness is quite extreme, in the past I wore foundation for special events but now I feel extremely insecure about my appearance I would like to wear it daily, what kind of foundation is safe to use and will not aggravate this condition?

Thank you in advance for your help.
    Welcome to the forum. You don't indicate that you have bumps, papules, pustules, pimples, etc., so you probably won't see a dramatic drop in redness soon from the Metro topical. I will gently disagree with the others who say topical Metro won't do anything to reduce the base redness - I think it does, but it is not immediate or dramatic. What it does, if it is the right topical for you, is reduce the inflammation that causes the redness. It *is* more effective (noticeable) with those who have the more inflammatory type of Rosacea (papulopustular) - but it sounds like you have more of the vascular type (flushing, redness, obvious blood vessels). Certainly, those who deal more with severe flushing & redness have a better idea of how they respond to topicals - but I do have that base redness & flushing, and I've seen improvement while on Metro because it reduced the overall inflammation.

My experience: I have used MetroCream, the generic form of MetroCream, MetroGel, and generic MetroGel - even though I have sensitive, dry skin, I usually prefer the Gel forms when I'm really flaring up, because it has a stronger action. You might find the gel more effective, as well - I think it's easier to explore your options for moisturizer, as well, when you use the gel because it won't interfere as much (fewer ingredients, alcohol based - not rubbing alcohol!). The Cream form is slightly less strong for me, but acts as a light moisturizer on its own, depending upon the cream base used - and the consistency varies widely depending on the manufacturer. The cream is very nice once my skin is less upset - I find it's better as a maintenance topical. This is only my experience, though, so YMMV. Personally, I would rather treat a flare with topicals - and try to identify whatever it is that's flaring me up in the first place. I know for severe flushing, that may not work!

This might seem an overwhelming process, but just take it one step at a time and try to identify what might be triggering your flare. Did you change anything in your routine or diet within the past few weeks? Has there been a change in weather? Has there been an increase in stress? Avoiding triggers is one thing we can do to reduce the impact of this condition.

Good luck!
    Types I, II, IV - mild to moderate, depending ...

Thank you very much for all of the replies. I will reflect on your answers, it seems this is a very personal condition, that is why it is (and still is so confusing) This is a very loving forum and by God I need it.

I still do not understand why this has happened, I appreciate what has been said......it takes time to build up, i use gentle moisturiser and gentle cleanser and no toner or anything else.

During the last few years I have had several ailments.... IBS, digestive concerns, throat issues, knee pains , strong night sweats, severe spasms and aches in legs, pains in eyes and pain in wrist

Throughout all of this my skin and hair have never let me down, I have actually been through quite a lot of physical pain but I have managed it with and without medication. It seems overnight my skin has changed (but it has been over 8 days) I have gone from pale clear skin to very bright red and pustules on my chin. I look in the mirror and wonder where I have gone.

I can cope with what are considered by the medical profession to be more severe issues but Roscea has brought me to my knees. I feel incredibly low, devastated.

What upsets me is this condition is incurable (apart from divine intervention)

Does anyone know of someone who recovered? (forever)
    I think you all are very brave, I feel upset and angry..... I have got through everything, but for me this feels too much..... thanks for listening

xxx