Thread: Life of a p&p

Default Life of a p&p

Hi everyone. It has been a long time since I have posted, I hope everyone is doing good.

Can anyone share their experience regarding food related flair ups? I realize that hot drinks or spicy foods makes my skin flush and I can usually feel it right away. But what I am curious about the P&Ps. How long after you eat a trigger food does it take for a new p&p to appear? Does the reaction start right away or does it have to digest first?

For me it has been hard to track because I am just getting used to changing my diet to avoid flair ups. I can't tell if something I just ate made a p&p appear or something I ate last night.

I am wondering what you have noticed and if there has been any research or studies that follow the p&p from flush to finish?

Thanks,
    simpleguy

Default eat more fat

Quote Originally Posted by simpleguy View Post
    Hi everyone. It has been a long time since I have posted, I hope everyone is doing good.

Can anyone share their experience regarding food related flair ups? I realize that hot drinks or spicy foods makes my skin flush and I can usually feel it right away. But what I am curious about the P&Ps. How long after you eat a trigger food does it take for a new p&p to appear? Does the reaction start right away or does it have to digest first?

For me it has been hard to track because I am just getting used to changing my diet to avoid flair ups. I can't tell if something I just ate made a p&p appear or something I ate last night.

I am wondering what you have noticed and if there has been any research or studies that follow the p&p from flush to finish?

Thanks,
    simpleguy
    Yes its fat that causes flair ups and later papules. once you have eaten fat the process is unreversable and it takes approx 24 to 36 hours to produce papules from the minute of eating fat. if you eat fat on a daily basis you will find papules generating every day from fat eaten retrospectively. Been there myself and after eliminating fat within say two/three weeks no papule generation just redness. Then had to get rid of the redness its good having rosacea it makes life interesting if you are a problem solver.
    Spicy food does make your skin respond but it could not produce a flair or papules by itself you get papules when the sweat glands are inflamed and don,t work so naturally thats expected.
    That is cause the secretion stops in the glands and then become a toxic irritant but as this situation is perpetuated on a daily basis it builds up like a mountain.

Whats the solution: Well my opinion is any person suffering from skin problems just saying mid life, will have most certainly have had some sort of skin or digestion problems related to fat acid indigestion as a child.
    The only thing you can do is to stop eating fat just to prove it to yourself first.
    Then after the papules have gone eat small fat amounts once a day. Before you eat fat increase your body temperature to fifteen degrees centigrade wear warm clothing even a hat and on eating make sure you really sweat. Don,t drink anything after eating fat at all or else you will be back where you started.
    Its best to eat fat as evening meal and stay inside your home and keep warm do not go out in the cold.
    In the morning on waking make sure you are sweating even just lightly on all parts of your face legs arms.
    Then have a hot bath brekfast no fat warm drink and sweat a bit.
    If you live in a country where coffee is the traditional cuppa stop drinking its too acid drink more neutral.

You seem to be asking the right questions so maybe you will find a solution.!
    Try it or LOL!

Quote Originally Posted by simpleguy View Post

Thanks,
    simpleguy
    I'll flare anywhere from half an hour after, to the next day. The better I'm doing overall, the longer it takes to flare from a food.

So if my stress is low (ha!), and my diet has been consistent (trigger foods avoided for a few weeks), I can have a chocolate chip cookie (for example) and not flare until the next day (and maybe only one itchy hive-like bump) ... or I might not flare at all (if I'm particularly blessed). For me, things seem to be cumulative. I think others may find that to be the case as well, but I can only speak for myself.

I've managed to identify my trigger foods pretty well. So I can avoid them pretty easily now. Stress is the factor that requires constant mitigation.
    Types I, II, IV - mild to moderate, depending ...

Default Thanks for the information

Thanks for the replies.

I live in Japan and we don't have nearly as many rosacea suffers as the US. Though it does seem like many of the white foreigners living here have rosacea. One of my big problems lately has been the P&Ps.

Before I really accepted that I had rosacea I tried several things and both benzol peroxide and differin both worked on the p&p but would cause severe flair ups and my face was constantly red.

I even noticed that sun exposure would clear up the p&ps as does the sauna, but both cause irritation and redness. The sun exposure even seems to make sebaceous hyperplasia appear.

IPL definitely helps with the redness for me. I have done it several times. I noticed that tea tree oil also helps with the p&p but causes too much irritation.

I saw the derm again last week and she gave me sulfur camphor which really helps with the p&p but causes terrible irritation.

One of the biggest problems for me is that I am not able to find a derm who knows much about rosacea here in Tokyo. Also, we don't have access to the same prescription meds as the US. For example, I ordered the benzol peroxide from the States and just ordered some azelaic acid from India last week. But haven't used it yet.

I am really getting depressed because it feels like I am watching my skin just deteriorate day by day but can't seem to find anything to stop it from getting worse and worse. I really don't know what to do.

A little background regarding the p&ps in my situation. Doing the things that are supposed to reduce redness seem to have no impact on the p&ps. They come out if I don't use some topical regardless. Like drums mentioned the fat in the diet as being a trigger for the p&p. I have went on long diets eating nothing but really bland, basic foods that aren't supposed to contribute to rosacea and I still get p&ps.

Does anyone know if rosacea p&ps are cleared up by using differin, benzoyl perozide, sun exposure, and sauna? Or does it sound like what I am experiencing isn't rosacea p&ps at all and maybe it is something else (bacteria, acne, etc.) in addition to typical rosacea redness / flareups? Is this common? Just two separate issues? It seems that the treatments I use for the (p&p) acne that work make the rosacea worse. Any suggestions for acne medication that doesn't make rosacea worse? I also tried dalacin and it doesn't help with either the redness or the p&ps.

Again, the derms here in Japan aren't familiar with rosacea or the symptoms. They can recognize the redness as rosacea but have yet to give me any medications to help with the redness. For the p&ps the meds I can get here seem to help, but cause the redness to get worse. Right now I am only using the camphor in the evenings which helps keep the p&ps under control, but I see signs of more p&ps in the late afternoon before I get home from work.

Default Ipl

Just saying my opinion anyone who has ipl treatment for rosacea has actually done more harm than having rosacea =/acne itself .IPL is barbaric and extreemly detrimental because rosacea is not caused by having something wrong with the skin. Destoying the sweat glands is not a solution but since the damage is done all you can do is to reduce your intake of sweat producing food and the main source is fat. People in warmer climates have the advantage of an increased body temp and sweat more so their glands are functioning twentyfour hours a day. In cold climates its much slower and even stops the face is the most
    vulnerable and the nose moreso. That is why there is a higher incidence of skin problems.

I think the only way forward is to reduce fat and hope your skin glands heal. Then in six months start eating
    more spicy food its a missnomer spicy hot food is actually good for rosacea. If your face does not sweat at least once a day or when you eat fats its time to suspect that something is going wrong.

When I had your problems a lady did say that some chinese do get really red its like rosacea but she lost the contact with the person who new so! mabye ask around.
    Some though get bad acne and potmarked skin probably a minority that cannot cope with the cooking oil.

I have tried a gluten free diet in the past for this type of rosacea and I did see an improvement. I stopped after 5 months because I found it really hard to follow. I still try to eat as little gluten as possible and hope to one day go back on it.

Just want to mention the IPLs do not destroy sweat glands. IPLs and Lasers used for rosacea target melanin (hair, age spots, moles ect.) or blood vessels. If the energy is high enough, they can stun the sebaceous glands (located beside a hair follicle) temporarily and may stop oil production up to a month or so. I find they only give a temporary relief to the breakouts at least they did with mine.

Also, it is wise to give caution to turning to lasers/IPLs since technology is fairly new to understand long-term effects in 20-30 yrs. The ruby laser (accidentally) removed hair on a arm in the 60's, but was it only in the 90's when it was out on the market for hair removal. It also may be an expensive temporary solution to pap rosacea, but can work nicely on visible broken blood vessels IMHO.