Thread: Started raw honey/coconut oil treatment.Using too much honey?

Default Started raw honey/coconut oil treatment.Using too much honey?

Hey Auburn,
    First of all I would like to thank you very much for support and advice to all us seb derm suffers. I can relate very well "the thousands of hours" one can go about researching and how much hard work it actually takes to fully understand Seb derm. I would like to sincerely thank you from the bottom of my heart for spending the countless hours researching and putting together the information for all us fellow derm suffers.

I have been suffering for seb derm for about two years. I used to have perfect skin problems started when i disrupted my skin barrier and wanted to start an over aggressive skin cleansing routine. Eventually, I was using too many harsh products and washing my face too often and hence I developed SD. So now i am in a desperate effort to get my skin back of over two years ago.

My main problem is the sides of my nose and forehead. I would say I have a mild case of seb derm where my skin normal but ever since sd i suffer from more sensitive, oilyness skin. The sides of my nose are always red and flaky and my forehead gets these little postules,rash which is annoying.. I have tried almost everything known to seb derm suffers and nothing worked. I also read about "raw honey" study about a year ago but never thought of it in my mind to try it. But it was when i found your thread I was convinced to try it. When I first read it worked for you, I was so happy because I know how annoying this condition can be.

I am on my 6th day im done 3 of my masks. I had a few question maybe you could answer them.

1) My face is definitely more reddish and rougher and flakier in my nose after i started this treatment? I read in ur faq this is normal esp in the first 1-2 weeks where the honey and oil are fighting the fungus. So i shoudn't be worried right? Ill try being patient.

2) I am only doing the treatment on my face so i use about two tablespoon of honey but i feel like this is too much. I am 35% done my 500g of honey in 6 days. im sure this is too much. How much exactly should i use for face? also does the dilution has to exaclty 90% to 10%?

3)I also cleanse with honey based on your recommendation. how much is needed exactly, because the honey melts in my hand esp with water.

4) Also I am brown skinned, i heard virgin coconut oil "tans" your skin. I definitely do not want to get tanner than i am. do you know if it actually does?

Thank you auburn. I update every 3 days with my progress and tell you guys how it is going If anyone has any recommendation please feel free

I

yeah, the spots that were itchy for me got quite red and rough the first week or two

Hello,
    I believe when I started, I had the exact same questions, perhaps I can help, I started about 20 days ago.

2) I am only doing the treatment on my face so i use about two tablespoon of honey but i feel like this is too much. I am 35% done my 500g of honey in 6 days. im sure this is too much. How much exactly should i use for face? also does the dilution has to exaclty 90% to 10%?
    You are using too much honey, you want a thin layer, try 1 teaspoon of honey and 1 teaspoon of water, mix and apply on face for mask. Raw honey is also quite expensive so better to be less than more.

3)I also cleanse with honey based on your recommendation. how much is needed exactly, because the honey melts in my hand esp with water.
    Not much at all, perhaps the same you will use in a normal cleanser, less than 1/2 teaspoon.

Don't look for overnight miracles, thsi is aprocess.

2 days ago I used the honey mask and applied way more honey than I should've...washed it all off and my skin was VERY irritated, just a warning, it's still irritated!

Moderation is key.

Hi Bartinator,

Quote Originally Posted by bartinator View Post

Hey Auburn,
    First of all I would like to thank you very much for support and advice to all us seb derm suffers. I can relate very well "the thousands of hours" one can go about researching and how much hard work it actually takes to fully understand Seb derm. I would like to sincerely thank you from the bottom of my heart for spending the countless hours researching and putting together the information for all us fellow derm suffers.
    You are most welcome.

1) My face is definitely more reddish and rougher and flakier in my nose after i started this treatment? I read in ur faq this is normal esp in the first 1-2 weeks where the honey and oil are fighting the fungus. So i shoudn't be worried right? Ill try being patient.
    That's right. It will seem to get worse before it starts to clear. Be patient and let the honey/oil do their work. Your skin needs a few weeks to heal.

2) I am only doing the treatment on my face
    This is a mistake. You really need to treat your scalp and ears as well as your face, otherwise the seb derm will colonize those areas.

so i use about two tablespoon of honey but i feel like this is too much. I am 35% done my 500g of honey in 6 days. im sure this is too much. How much exactly should i use for face? also does the dilution has to exaclty 90% to 10%?
    It sounds like you are using too much honey, yes. I eyeball it but maybe you'll find this method helpful: if you have a set of measuring spoons, use the teaspoon measure for the honey and the 1/8 teaspoon measure for the water. Remember, you really need to treat the scalp and ears so I would start applying that amount on the scalp and then mix maybe slightly less for the face/ears.

Put between 1/4 and 1/2 teaspoon of honey in one hand. With the other hand splash your face with water. Now rub both hands together to spread the honey and apply to face, massaging gently, including eyelids and eyelashes. Rinse.

4) Also I am brown skinned, i heard virgin coconut oil "tans" your skin. I definitely do not want to get tanner than i am. do you know if it actually does?
    No, the oil does not tan your skin. Some websites tell people to use it as a tanning oil probably because many "tanning oil" formulas contain coconut oil (as a moisturizer).

Thank you auburn. I update every 3 days with my progress
    Please do.

Take good care.

Auburn

Disclaimer:

Those who want to treat their seb derm with raw honey and virgin coconut oil, should stop using any chemicals on their face and let the honey and the oil fight the seb derm and help heal the skin barrier during the course of the treatment, i.e., four weeks.
    I've treated seb derm successfully with raw honey and virgin coconut oil and have been symptom-free since June '09. Follow this ---> link <--- for details.

Hi Wizkhali,

Quote Originally Posted by wizkhali View Post

try 1 teaspoon of honey and 1 teaspoon of water,
    That would make a 50% dilution, which is way too much. 1/8 of a teaspoon of water is closer to 10%.

Raw honey is also quite expensive so better to be less than more.
    The honeydew honey you are using is rather expensive, yes, but you can switch to any other kind of raw honey and still get great results. I will go back to using local raw goldenrod honey once I've used up the two jars of honeydew from New Zealand I recently ordered from Amazon.
    I've treated seb derm successfully with raw honey and virgin coconut oil and have been symptom-free since June '09. Follow this ---> link <--- for details.

Are people using liquid honey? Mine is sort of a hardened block that I have to dig into and add water. I wonder if I'm using enough water. Is it supposed to be very liquid? Mine is often sort of a paste after I've added water.

Quote Originally Posted by xcvq View Post
    Mine is sort of a hardened block that I have to dig into and add water. I wonder if I'm using enough water. Is it supposed to be very liquid? Mine is often sort of a paste after I've added water.
    That's how mine is too. It sounds like you are doing it correctly.

Hey xcvq,

The honey I'm using has a lot of crystals and is like a paste, like yours. The health food store now has fresh raw honey that's liquid, says on the label it was collected in June. Im going to get some of that soon.