Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Had VBeam Laser Treatment 4 days ago - and worried!!!

Default Had VBeam Laser Treatment 4 days ago - and worried!!!

Hi
    I had a v-beam laser treatment for days ago and my face was purple and hugely swollen the next morning. Today is day 4. The swelling has gone down a lot (still some edema around eyes and some swelling) but my face looks like it has a huge, blotchy red birth mark across it. I think the redness has got a little better but I keep panicking that maybe some people just stay this way!!

I'm also very concerned about the timeline - seems to be varying accounts. My derm told me a week and I could go out with make up but can't quite see three days is going to do that!!

I had this treatment for redness that flared when stressed or hot and which was spreading from my cheeks to my chin and neck.

I've been putting vaseline on and taking arnica tablets. I have some blisters so am being very careful about not irritating that skin any further.

Any advice or reassurance would be fantastic - or thoughts on how long I'm going to look like this!!!

(Sorry for all the exclamation marks - a bit stressed)

Hi Trelissick,
    It is perfectly normal to experience redness, swelling and skin texture changes while healing after VBeam. Healing time varies but rest assured that you are well within normal limits. I always remained swollen for about 4-5 days and the redness remains (slowly improving each day) for weeks and weeks for me. After about 7 days I am able to cover much of it with makeup but even then it is not perfect and it heals fully for me within 4-5 weeks if I am remembering correctly. So, do not panic as you are doing just fine and just concentrate on your hopefully good results after you heal!

Welcome to the RF.

Best,
    Melissa

Quote Originally Posted by Melissa W View Post
    Hi Trelissick,
    It is perfectly normal to experience redness, swelling and skin texture changes while healing after VBeam. Healing time varies but rest assured that you are well within normal limits. I always remained swollen for about 4-5 days and the redness remains (slowly improving each day) for weeks and weeks for me. After about 7 days I am able to cover much of it with makeup but even then it is not perfect and it heals fully for me within 4-5 weeks if I am remembering correctly. So, do not panic as you are doing just fine and just concentrate on your hopefully good results after you heal!

Welcome to the RF.

Best,
    Melissa
    Melissa is absolutely right: healing can take weeks, which is why any good V-beam practitioner will caution a wait of two months between treatments. I had my last V-beam on 15th May - approximately nine weeks ago - and while the purple bruising had more or less disappeared after a fortnight, it was only last week that the last pale laser marks finally faded from sight. I've had eight or nine V-beam treatments over the past five years or so, and every time I have a treatment, I too freak out a little after the event, worried that maybe this time the bruising won't settle down. But it always does, and the result is worth the hassle, believe me!

Your description sounds like a fairly standard reaction. I am not sure about the vaseline unless you normally use it without any problems.

I would feed back about the blisters as from my experience it means that the settings might have been a little too high. I find that I get on with lower levels, less downtime and less chance of blisters.

Thanks very much for your informed replies - is very reassuring.

I think that the Derm did have it set too high - he seemed a little flippant about the whole thing and there was no setting of expectations of what I would look like and no patch testing.

In saying that - he offered either three lighter treatments or one "full on" - and I opted to get it over and done with.

Everytime I go past a mirror I'm surprised at how red the marks still look (bright red) - but I think they are shrinking and the dense, black spots seem to have broken down.

My skin can feel quite warm during the day (likes the cooler night air) and I wondered if anyone has experienced greater sensitivity after treatment (from reading other peoples accounts my skin sensitivity was fairly moderate - average before) or if this is likely to be part of the healing process - like when things are itchy when they are healing?

Saw the comment on vaseline - I've always used Dermalogica moisturiser before as one of the few I found not to irritate my skin. I used vaseline as the Derm recommended it and saw someone elses posts that said helped on the blistered area (moist healing). Might stick to using it just on the crusty/blistered area.

Thanks again for your comments - will start experimenting with some heavy duty make up over the next couple of days

I wondered if anyone has experienced greater sensitivity after treatment
    This is normal. You might be more sensitive up to a month or more after treatment depending on your healing speed. Don't worry and good luck.

Best,
    Melissa

Quote Originally Posted by trelissick View Post
    Thanks very much for your informed replies - is very reassuring.

I think that the Derm did have it set too high - he seemed a little flippant about the whole thing and there was no setting of expectations of what I would look like and no patch testing.

In saying that - he offered either three lighter treatments or one "full on" - and I opted to get it over and done with.
    He should have made it clear what sort of side effects you could have expected with one stronger treatments. He was failing in his job there and it is not your fault that you choose the stronger one. For future reference it is probably better to for lower levels as there is less downtime and less chance of blistering,etc. If you go back again then make sure you feed back about the blisters and ask for a lower setting.

My skin is always unstable and hyper-reactive for two or three weeks after a V Beam.

It happens every time, so I've come to expect it and think of it as normal, and not be alarmed by it.

Again - thanks for your responses. I have a tingling, sunburn feel to my skin and it is quite warm but the surface feels smooth so think it is damage repair occuring underneath.

One further question - I'm trying to cover this with make up - (someone recommended Thin Lizzy and does seem to have fairly amazing coverage but still see a bit of purple shading underneath) - just wondering if others have found this to be detrimental to the healing process because of being more sensitive afterwards??

Default Makeup

Hi
    You've got to be really careful with blisters. Its best to let them heal until they peel off themselves or you run the risk of scarring. Just the act of putting on makeup with a sponge or whatever can break the blister. Besides, (believe me I've tried it all) the texture of bruised skin as well as the bruise itself is pretty impossible to really cover for a while so it's not worth taking the chance. Unfortunately your doctor gave you an unrealistic time frame for healing. Once the blisters resolve and the purple turns a kind of brownish color (for me 2-4 weeks depending on the treatment) I would recommend CoverFX. Its used by makeup artists to cover tattoos, but that's from a distance for photo shoots, movies etc.Its tough, but this disease requires a lot of patience.
    Arlene