Thread: Blackout curtains in Alaska hotels - seeking advice

Default Blackout curtains in Alaska hotels - seeking advice

Hi,

It's been a long time since my last visit (skin has been fairly ok and i was also busy getting married ), and now while planning my honeymoon, I came a across a problem.
    We're going to Alaska for our honeymoon (well, supposed to go anyway).
    The weather seems fine (cool but not too cold, cloudy, pretty low UV index, etc.),
    the flights and car are already booked and we began to look for hotels for our first few days.
    About two years ago, we traveled in Canada for about a month and always found places to stay that had blackout curtains or at least very thick dark ones, I expected (somewhat foolishly) that in Alaska it would be the same.
    I also read in a couple of online forums (turns out that people already asked that question...) that due to the many hours of sunlight during summer, many hotel and B&Bs in Alaska have curtains that block the sun well so their guests will be able to get a good night's sleep.
    Unfortunately, from what i've seen so far (when looking for accommodation in Skagway and Juneau) only very few places have blackout curtains. even at the large hotel chains (best western, travelodge) they don't have them.
    I have some very bad experiences with sleeping with sunlight. I don't need the room to be completely dark, but I cannot have direct light on me otherwise I just won't sleep and my face will feel hot and sore.
    Last year we went to Slovenia for two weeks and they had almost NO curtains on the windows. that's just the standard there. A big part of this trip was spent trying to find accommodation that will be ok for me.
    Fortunately, Slovenia is a pretty small country so we could stay at one hotel room for a couple of nights and travel around, but we won't be able to do that in Alaska.
    Moreover, I felt so frustrated there and don't want to feel like that again.
    Does anyone know what the curtains are usually like in Alaska?
    I've seen that lots of places have thin metal blinds and sometimes a thin curtain.
    There is one thing I'm considering before canceling the entire thing (which will be really disappointing. I've been looking forward to this vacation so much!), is taking some kind of material to cover the windows in hotels. I use a car shade like this:http://image.made-in-china.com/2f0j0...-CC010308-.jpg
    at me house for a kitchen window that has a very thin curtain and it works well, but it will be too small for a bedroom window and it will take up a lot of space in my suitcase. I wonder if there's some other material or foil that can be bought that's not too heavy and I can take to use on hotel windows.

Any advice will be much appreciated.
    Thanks,
    Yael.

Can you use a black sleep mask, or will it make your face flush?

Hi WrinkledClue,

Thanks for the advice.
    Unfortunately I cannot put anything over my face for more than a couple of minutes without flushing.
    If I could, I would just pull the blanket over my head

My sister takes with her when she travels to hotels just in case cause my niece 3 and nephew 6 wake up as soon as they see sunlight. so she takes large lawn/leaves plastic bags color dark green or black and she tapes them around the windows to keep the sunlight away. Just an idea... Good luck :-) I am like you i can not sleep with anything on my eyes since it flares up the flushing.
    using elidel at night, taking atelenol, had 2 vbeam laser treatments, 46 year old female

take some aluminum foil. works perfectly

Thanks Alba and tp912!
    Great ideas!
    I'm going to try them both at my house this weekend (my kitchen window receives direct sunlight for several hours).
    Both are very practical ideas that will not require me to bring anything ti Alaska which is great.

Aluminum foil - how come i didn't think of that?

Thanks again!
    Yael.

Hi Yael,
    Congratulations on your wedding!! I am so happy for you.
    You have already received good advice so I just want to wish you health and happiness! And enjoy Alaska. That was my favorite trip by far of everywhere I have traveled. You will have an amazing time there!

Best,
    Melissa

Thank you sou much Melissa!
    your post raised a big smile on my face

I'm really looking forward to this vacation. Alaska seems absolutely amazing. glad to hear you loved it.

And the aluminum foil worked perfectly in my house. so thanks again tp912!

You could try buying foil blankets. They would be much easier to fold up.

I am talking about the foil blankets that they wrap people up in for first aid to prevent hypothermia. We can by them in Australia where they sell first aid.

I used to work a lot of night duty and that is what I used to block out my windows during the day.

Enjoy your honeymoon.

Hi rachzon,

Thanks for the excellent advice!
    I had no idea that these blankets exist.
    They seem very easy to handle (more than aluminum foil anyway) and looks like they don't weigh much too.
    I found a local outdoor equipment store that sells them (they are very cheap too), so i'm going to buy one today and try it.

Thanks again,
    Yael.